This recipe for a Homemade Orange Julius is a copycat version of a childhood favorite--made healthier! Naturally sweetened and with the option to be dairy-free, you can enjoy a Healthy Orange Julius that is just as delicious as the classic without a sugar crash or a trip to the mall.
What is an Orange Julius?
An Orange Julius is a classic food court treat from the 90s. It is a blend of frozen orange juice concentrate, milk, vanilla, sugar, and ice. And while delicious, the classic Orange Julius is really high in sugars.
The good news is that you can make a cheaper, healthier version of an Orange Julius at home in just minutes that tastes JUST as delicious.
It only takes 3 simple ingredients to make a nearly perfect rendition of the classic.
- Milk: Use any milk you like--dairy or non-dairy. I like to use unsweetened vanilla almond milk (that has zero grams of added sugar) in the base of this Orange Julius. Canned Coconut milk is another delicious non-dairy option and is a bit reminiscent of my Pina Colada Recipe.
- Orange Juice Concentrate--This is the SECRET to a perfectly sweet Orange Julius without refined sugars. Yes, orange juice concentrate is high in sugars, but they are natural sugars from the oranges themselves. Be sure to use pulp-free orange juice concentrate for a smoother cocktail.
- Vanilla Extract: To mimic that creamy vanilla flavor that the original Orange Julius has.
- Optional: If you want to make an ADULT-ONLY Orange Julius, add a shot of vanilla vodka, for a fun adult cocktail.
How to Make Homemade Orange Julius
Making an Orange Julius at home is as simple as blending all the ingredients together and serving. Simple, and a lot faster than driving to the mall food court!
More Refreshing Beverages
If you enjoyed this Homemade Orange Julius, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Homemade Orange Julius
- 5 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 12 ounces orange juice concentrate frozen
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-6 ounces vanilla vodka optional
- Pour milk into the blender. Add the orange juice concentrate and the vanilla extract. If desired, also add the vodka into the blender. Place the lid on the blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
We add ice cubes to make it frozen and not so much milk. Love the idea of vodka in it! Been making it for 45 years,lol.
That is a great idea too Penny! Love that you have been making it for so long.
Are these 6 or 8 oz servings?
Hi Betsy, these are 8 ounce servings. Enjoy!
Oh I love a good Orange Julius. At home, I use frozen bananas to get it creamy and sweet without the added sugar. Concentrate is a great idea!
Give this a try Melissa! I also make a smoothie like this with bananas (with OJ, coconut milk as well), but this version is purely orange flavor!!
I remember going to the mall as a kid and getting Orange Julius. Thanks for the adult version!
You bet! I hope you enjoy it MORE than any one you had at the mall!
Cynthia | What A Girl Eats
I remember Orange Julius! I loved it! Now that I'm a grown-up, I'll take YOUR version! 😉
Dee-licious!!! I make the whole recipe with only 31/2 cups of ice and the 45 calorie unsweetened vanilla milk and 2 tsp vanilla essence because I can save the rest in the fridge for another night.
So I use one glass of the Orange drink as well as one glass of Ice and blend it till smooth be for adding any Vodka
What a treat
Ooop I screwed up In the beginning I meant 3/12 cup of almond milk NOT ICE
This indeed very interesting.. especially the vodka 😉
Kim - Liv Life
Bam indeed!!! Oh my goodness... who knew this could be so easy?? I remember getting these drinks as a kid on Sundays after church, but I haven't had one in probably 20 years! (They did exist that far back, right??). Love the Tipsy version!
You will love this version so much more too!