Full of sweet blueberry flavor and healthy antioxidants, this creamy Blueberry Smoothie is absolutely delicious!
I love smoothies of all flavors! Not only do smoothies make for a delicious, creamy, refreshing beverage, but they are also a great vehicle to pack in a ton of nutrition into one single beverage.
Need extra protein? How about some nuts or cottage cheese? Healthy Fats? Flaxseed or avocado to the rescue. Low on your intake of fruits and vegetables? Throw whatever you have in the blender and check off a few of your daily requirements with ease.
And that is exactly what I did when I created this Blueberry Smoothie. I added tons of nutrient-dense foods, like avocados and kale.
But making a healthy smoothie only works if it tastes good and the kids approve. The verdict on this Blueberry Smoothie with Kale?
My son's exact words were, This tastes like blueberry pie! I take that as a win.
- Blueberries: Fresh or frozen blueberries work in this recipe. The sweetness of the blueberries really adds to the flavor and color of the smoothie, not to mention blueberries are a great source of fiber and antioxidants.
- Banana: Use fresh or frozen ripe bananas. The banana helps to keep the smoothie naturally sweet and also add in adds potassium.
- Avocado: Avocado may sound like an odd ingredient to add to a smoothie. But, the avocado is a secret to making this smoothie luscious, creamy, and rich, while adding in a dose of healthy fats.
- Kale: Add in fresh or frozen kale or spinach for added nutrients and fiber and a serving of green veggies. The blueberry flavor really helps to mask the kale and spinach. Keep in mind, if you are using fresh kale, you MUST remove the hard stem of the kale in order for the kale to break down in the smoothie.
- Milk: Use any variety of milk you like. Cow's milk, soy milk, almond milk, and coconut milk are all delicious in this blueberry smoothie recipe.
Tips for Making Blueberry Smoothie
Making a smoothie is as simple as blending up the ingredients in a blender. However, there are a couple of tips that will help you make the creamiest, smoothest Blueberry Smoothie.
- Always put the thin liquid in the blender FIRST! This will make the smoothie much easier to blend, as the blades will not get stuck on the solid ingredients. In the case of this Blueberry Smoothie, pour the milk of your choice into the blender before adding any other ingredients.
- You can use fresh or frozen produce for this recipe. However, if you choose to use all frozen produce, you may need to add an additional ¼ cup to ½ cup of liquid to incorporate the ingredients well.
- This smoothie is best served immediately, as the ingredients will begin to separate as it sits.
More Smoothie Recipes
- Pina Colada Smoothie
- Tropical Kale Smoothie
- Cherry Smoothie
- Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
If you gave this Blueberry Smoothie a try, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Healthy Blueberry Smoothie
- ½ cup milk any variety
- ¼ cup kale chopped and thick stem removed
- ¼ of a ripe avocado
- ½ cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- ½ banana fresh or frozen
- Pour the milk into the blender. Add in the kale and avocado and blend until smooth. Blend the milk, kale, and avocado together until well combined.
- Add in the blueberries and banana and blend again until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately.
- Use any variety of milk. If you choose almond, coconut, or soy you will have a Vegan Blueberry Smoothie.
- Fresh or frozen chopped kale can be used in this smoothie recipe, just be sure to remove the hard stem of the kale if using fresh kale.
- Feel free to replace the kale with spinach.
- Fresh or frozen blueberries can be used in this smoothie as well.
- Fresh of frozen bananas can be used in this Blueberry Banana Smoothie.
- If you choose to use all frozen produce, you may need to add an additional ¼-1/2 cup liquid to incorporate the ingredients well.