Made with simple ingredients and no added sugars, this Healthy Pina Colada Smoothie is full of tropical flavors and wholesome ingredients. It is simple, fresh, easy to make, and most importantly it is delicious!
While Cheesy Chicken and Rice is the recipe that made me famous with the masses, when it comes to the recipe that made me famous with my family and friends, it would be this Pina Colada Smoothie.
I have been making this simple smoothie, slash cocktail, for decades and everyone marvels at how delicious and fresh it is. And it is easy to see why!
why you will love pina colada smoothies
- Fresh & Flavorful. Made with 100% fruit juice, fresh fruit, and coconut milk, this pina colada is perfectly balanced, just sweet enough, and incredibly fresh tasting.
- Wholesome Smoothie. Instead of being made with tons of added sugars or artificially flavored syrups as with most pina coladas, this pina colada smoothie recipe is made with simple, wholesome ingredients and no added sugars.
- Suitable for Kids. You can serve this Pina Colada Smoothie with or without alcohol, making it the perfect smoothie for all.
- No Passport Required. While this Pina Colada tastes like a trip to the tropics, you don't have to leave the comfort of your home to enjoy this smoothie.
Ingredients for a Healthy Pina Colada Smoothie
- Pineapple Juice: I always keep pineapple juice on hand for Instant Pot Chicken Breasts, Mongolian Beef, and many other recipes. If you can't find pineapple juice or don't have it on hand, use the juice from canned pineapple (just be sure it is canned in 100% juice) and then have the pineapple chunks or slices as a snack.
- Orange Juice: If you have the patience to juice fresh oranges, that will yield the BEST pina colada. But by all means, feel free to use prepared 100% orange juice.
- Coconut Milk: Canned coconut milk is best, as it gives the smoothie a rich, pure taste. Light or full-fat works, but I do find that the light coconut milk blends easier into the smoothie. Use leftover coconut milk to make Coconut Coffee Creamer or Instant Pot Butter Chicken or refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Bananas: Frozen banana chunks give this smoothie a creamy, frozen texture, but fresh bananas work as well. And while bananas may not be traditional in a pina colada but the banana sweetens this cocktail perfectly without the need for added sugars. And in my travels, I can say, MOST Caribbean islands add bananas to their pina coladas as well.
- Liquor (optional): White or dark rum is considered traditional in a Pina Colada. I personally recommend Coconut Rum for this cocktail. And in a pinch, plain vodka will work in place of the rum.
Tips for the Best Pina Colada Smoothie
Making a pina colada smoothie at home is as simple as placing the ingredients in the blender and blending away. However, let me give you a few tips that are key.
- Start by placing the liquids in the blender. This allows the blades to be able to move around freely and not get stuck on the banana.
- If you like a thick, frothy pina colada smoothie, be sure to use frozen bananas.
- Place chunks of banana in the blender, not a whole banana. This makes the smoothie much easier to blend.
- Alcohol is completely optional. I often blend up the smoothies and then pour them into glasses. I add alcohol to the adult smoothies and serve the kids Virgin Pina Coladas. Just be sure to mix the pina colada with a spoon to distribute the rum evenly into the pina colada.
There is nothing better than sitting on the beach with a cold Pina Colada in your hand! But even when you can't escape to the beach, you can enjoy a delicious, healthy version of a pina colada right at home and it is the perfect option to pair with Mexican, Caribbean, or Southwest Meals. Below are a few of my family's favorites.
- Lentil Tacos
- Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas
- Taco Pizza
- Southwestern Cobb Salad
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Grilled Jerk Pork Tenderloin
- Taco Salad
Whether for a pool party, Taco night, or a gathering with friends, this Pina Colada Smoothie is a MUST. Trust me, you may just become known for this recipe as well. If you give it a try, be sure to leave a review and comment below.
- Place pineapple juice, orange juice, and coconut milk into a blender. Add in bananas and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately with a shot of coconut rum if desired.
This post was originally published in 2017 but has been updated in 2020 with new tips.