Pina Colada Smoothie: Rich coconut, fresh pineapple and orange juice and bananas create a creamy, all-natural version of a classic Pina Colada.
If I had to pick a recipe I was “famous” for it would be my Pina Colada Smoothie.
And no, it is not known on the blog or on pinterest. It is known by my friends and family–which can be my harshest critics.
I have to say, I agree. My version of a Pina Colada is better than ANY out there!! And trust me, my husband and I have traveled to the Caribbean and Mexico and tasted our fair share of Pina Coladas.
How to Make the BEST Pina Colada Smoothie
My husband will tell you he has often been disappointed when he orders a Pina Colada out. They are often filled with artificial sugars and flavors. But our recent trip to the Le Blac Resort in Mexico, he said they made a Pina Colada ALMOST as good as mine.
Nothing can compare to fresh, simple ingredients when it comes to making a pina colada.
Canned coconut milk, orange juice, pineapple juice, and frozen bananas. Simple, clean ingredients create an absolute perfect pina colada.
Whether at a party, after a morning run, or on Taco night–this Pina Colada is a MUST. Trust me, you may just become known for this recipe as well.
What alcohol is in a Pina Colada?
My husband would agree, that a Pina Colada Smoothie, MUST have a shot of liquor. There are many options for which alcohol is best for a Pina Colada, but rum is the traditional choice.
To make an adult only Pina Colada add of one the following liquors:
- Coconut Rum–my husband’s favorite choice. Coconut rum adds a bit more of a coconut flavor to this Pina Colada Smoothie.
- Rum–white or dark rum–what is considered traditional in a Pina Colada.
- Vodka–in a pinch, I have added plain vodka. It is tasteless, so all it does is add alcohol to the Pina Colada without compromising the taste.
For an adult Pina Colada, add one shot, or 1. 5 ounces, of your choice of liquor per drink.
Meals that Pair well with Pina Coladas
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw
- Jalapeno Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- Grilled Jerk Pork Tenderloin with Pineapple Salsa
Tips on making Pina Coladas at home:
- I use canned coconut milk for these pina coladas for a rich, pure taste. Light or full-fat works, but I do find that the lighter coconut milk blends easier into the smoothie.
- If you can’t find pineapple juice, take a tip from me and use the juice from canned pineapple (just be sure it is canned in 100% juice) and then have the pineapple chunks or slices on the side or in this Pineapple Cilantro rice.
- Frozen banana chunks give this smoothie a creamy, frozen texture, but fresh bananas work as well.
Let’s make Healthy Pina Coladas
Pina Colada Smoothie
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup coconut milk canned and I use Trader Joe’s light
- 2 frozen bananas broken into chunks for easier blending
- Place all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
To Make a Pina Colada Smoothie, You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!