This is the ULTIMATE recipe for a Pina Colada! Made with simple ingredients, and no added sugars, this Pina Colada Smoothie is seriously the best version of the classic tropical cocktail. Serve with or without alcohol for a delicious escape to the tropic.
There is nothing better than sitting on the beach with a cold Pina Colada in your hand! But even when you can’t escape to the beach, you can enjoy a delicious, healthy version of a pina colada right at home. This cocktail pairs perfectly with Lentil Tacos, Steak Fajitas, Taco Pizza, or a Southwestern Cobb Salad. Make it without alcohol for the kids to enjoy or add in a splash of rum for an adult’s only version.
If I had to pick a recipe I was “famous” for with my family and friends, it would be my Pina Colada.
I have been making this simple cocktail for decades and everyone marvels at how delicious and fresh it is.
Instead of being made with tons of added sugars or artificially flavored syrups, my recipe for a pina colada is made with simple, wholesome ingredients and no added sugars. It is perfectly balanced, just sweet enough, and incredibly fresh tasting.
I think you will agree, this version of a Pina Colada is better than ANY out there!! It is simple, fresh, easy to make, and most importantly it is delicious! And trust me, my husband and I have traveled to the Caribbean and Mexico and tasted our fair share of Pina Coladas.
- Pineapple Juice: I always keep pineapple juice on hand for Instant Pot Chicken Breasts, Mongolian Beef, and many other recipes. If you can’t find pineapple juice, take a tip from me and use the juice from canned pineapple (just be sure it is canned in 100% juice) and then have the pineapple chunks or slices on the side.
- Orange Juice: If you have the patience to juice fresh oranges, that will yield the BEST pina colada. But by all means, use any orange juice you have on hand.
- Coconut Milk: Canned coconut milk is best for pina coladas for a rich, pure taste. Light or full-fat works, but I do find that the light coconut milk blends easier into the smoothie. Use leftover coconut milk to make Coconut Coffee Creamer or Butter Chicken or refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Bananas: Bananas may not be traditional in pina coladas, but the banana sweetens this cocktail perfectly without the need for added sugars. And in my travels, I can say, MOST Caribbean islands add bananas to their pina coladas as well. Frozen banana chunks give this smoothie a creamy, frozen texture, but fresh bananas work as well.
- Liquor (optional): White or dark rum is considered traditional in a Pina Colada. I personally recommend Coconut Rum for this cocktail. And in a pinch, plain vodka will work in place of the rum.
How to Make the BEST Pina Colada
Making a pina colada at home is as simple as placing the ingredients in the blender and blending away. However, let me give you a few tips that are key.
- Start by placing the liquids in the blender. This allows the blades to be able to move around freely and not get stuck on the banana.
- If you like a thick, frothy pina colada smoothie, be sure to use frozen bananas.
- Place chunks of banana in the blender, not a full banana. This makes the smoothie much easier to blend.
- Alcohol is completely optional. I often blend up the smoothies and then pour into glasses. I add in alcohol to my husband and I’s drink and serve my kids Virgin Pina Coladas. Just be sure to mix the pina colada with a spoon to distribute the rum evenly into the pina colada.
Meals that Pair well with Pina Coladas
Whether for a pool party, Taco night, or a gathering with friends, this Pina Colada is a MUST. Trust me, you may just become known for this recipe as well.
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup canned coconut milk light or full fat
- 2 frozen bananas broken into chunks for easier blending
- Place all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth and creamy.