In my early childhood, Memorial Day always meant a big cookout at Lake Erie. My mom’s extended family would gather at my great aunt and uncles cabin on the lake for great food and fun–and a bit of mischief. I remember trying to catch frogs, hikes through the woods, and playing for hours on the playground.
But most of all, I remember the food. My Papa’s Baked Beans, my Auntie Catherine’s brownies, potato salad (and it didn’t matter who made it, because we all used the same recipe) and my mom’s pasta salad. Still till this day, I crave all those foods–and it is really hard for me to have a cookout without ALL of these traditional foods to my family. However, my mom and I have tweaked her pasta salad. Her old recipe was just peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, and Italian dressing tossed with rotini noodles–good but simple. Today, we make Antipasto Pasta Salad with olives, roasted red peppers, grape tomatoes, sweet onions, a red wine vinaigrette made with capers. This salad packs a lot of flavor! It is like an anitipasto tray tossed with noodles. Hence the name, Antipasto Pasta Salad.
And while sometimes, you don’t mess with a classic recipe, this is one recipe that has improved with these tweaks–and I am pretty sure you AND my extended family that gathered around the lake would agree.
Antipasto Pasta Salad #SundaySupper
- 16 ounces rotini noodles I used High Protein Organic White Wheat Noodles
- 8 ounces grape tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup sliced Spanish olives
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup diced jarred roasted red peppers
- 1 small vidalia onion or red onion finely minced
- 6 ounces Hard Salami diced--I used nitrate free
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Cook the pasta according to directions.
Make the vinaigrette by blending the olive oil, vinegar, capers, salt, garlic, and oregano together until well blended. Pour the vinaigrette over the drained noodles and toss.
Add in the tomatoes, olives, peppers and parsley and toss.
Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight before serving.
Check out more great pot-luck recipes from my Sunday Supper Family and get ready to be the hostess with the mostess (or host with the most!)
- Calamari salad with fennel and avocado by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coronation Chicken Deviled Eggs by Food Lust People Love
- Creamy Ranch Tortilla Pinwheels with Roasted Red Peppers by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Roasted Corn Salsa by Casa de Crews
- Walnut Grapes by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Watermelon Salad with Feta Cheese and Mint by April Golightly
Sides and Salads
- Amish Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad by My World Simplified
- Antipasto Pasta Salad by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Arugula Pesto Pasta Salad with Grilled Chicken by Hardly A Goddess
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chopped Caprese Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Crunchy Coleslaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cumin Scented Quinoa with Black Bean and Corn Salsa by The Hungry Goddess
- Easy Summer Chickpea Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Elotes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Frog Eye Salad by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Gluten Free Grilled Corn Salad by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Layered Salad with Green Goddess Dressing by Delaware Girl Eats
- No Mayo Potato Salad by Simple and Savory
- Roasted Vegetable Couscous Salad by My Life Cookbook
- Spaghetti Salad with Italian Dressing by Kitchen Gidget
- Summer Grain Salad by Pook’s Pantry
- Summer Tortellini Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Tarragon Marinated Brussels Sprouts by Beauty and the Beets
- Steve’s Fried Chicken by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Ginger Parfaits by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Slab Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Caramel Icebox Cake by Cookin’ Mimi
- Caramel “Doughnut” Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Cherry Crumb Bars by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Eclair Cake by Tramplingrose: Cooking, Baking & Ranting in Small-Town South Dakota
- Coconut Lime Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cookie Butter Caramel Swirl Brownies by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Double Chocolate Blondies by Family Around The Table
- Frozen Champagne Salad by Moore or Less Cooking
- How to make a Pineapple Summer Cake by Asian In America
- Lemon Icebox Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisps with Coconut by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- No-Bake Summer Berry Cream Cheese Tarts by Magnolia Days
- Peach Dumplings by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Peanut Butter Bars by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- S’mores Blondies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Pretzel Pie by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Summertime S’Mores by The Freshman Cook
- Triple Peanut Butter Cookies by Cooking With Carlee
- White Sheet Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Whole Wheat Strawberry Galette by The Bitter Side of Sweet
Plus Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake and Best Potluck Dishes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement