This bright and creamy Roasted Beet Hummus has an earthy taste, stunning color, and is perfect for serving with veggies or crackers.
Just like Instant Pot Hummus, this recipe for Beet Hummus can be prepared in the Instant Pot with dried chickpeas or made in a food processor with canned chickpeas, for a simple, healthy snack.
I fell in love with Beet Hummus after a recent dinner out at a Mediterranean Restaurant.
Roasted Beets add an earthy, somewhat citrus note to traditional hummus, along with a bit of sweetness. It is perfect for scooping up with pita chips or vegetables, but Beet Hummus is also great as a sandwich spread. Not to mention Beet Hummus has the most impressive bright pink color--I mean this hummus is not only flavorful, but it is also absolutely stunning.
How To Make Beet Hummus
You can prepare this hummus recipe using dried chickpeas or canned chickpeas. I personally prefer preparing with dried chickpeas that cook in the Instant Pot because the chickpeas get super, super soft and create the most creamy hummus.
Step One: Roast Beets
The first step to making beet hummus is to roast the beets. Roasting the beets brings out the natural sugars in the beets. It is an extra step, but my goodness is it worth the effort.
Step Two: Prepare Chickpeas
If you are using the Instant Pot to prepare dried chickpeas, cook the chickpeas while the beets roast in the oven. If you are using canned beans, drain, and rinse well.
Step Three: Process Hummus
Place the ingredients for the hummus into a food processor and process until smooth. Add water as needed to get the texture of the hummus to the consistency you desire.
Step Four: Serve
Serve up with pita chips and vegetable slices and marvel at that natural bright pink color you achieved in this Easy Beet Hummus.
Beet Hummus can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 6 months. Be sure to defrost in the fridge overnight, not in the microwave, as that may change the consistency of the hummus.
More Healthy Snack Recipes
If you enjoyed this beautiful Beet Hummus, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Instant Pot Beet Hummus
- 2 large beets peeled and quartered
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas see directions for cooking dried chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 clove garlic grated
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt divided
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil plus more for roasting beets
- ¼-1/3 cup water
Directions for Cooking Dried Chickpeas
- Place 1 cup dried chickpeas and 3 cups of water in the inner pot of the instant pot. Place lid on the pressure cooker and turn vent knob to "sealing." Set to cook on high pressure for 40 minutes. Let pressure release naturally, then strain off chickpeas, reserving cooking liquid.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat beets lightly with oil with olive oil and wrap beets in aluminum foil, place on a baking sheet, and roast in the oven until cooked through approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
- Place chickpeas, roasted beets, lemon juice, salt, tahini in a food processor that has been fitted with an s-blade. Process until nearly smooth.
- Remove the food pusher on the lid of the food processor, and pour in olive oil while the food processor is running. Add in water or reserved cooking liquid from chickpeas, to get the hummus smooth and creamy as desired.