Sweet potatoes and eggs are combined together for a simple, healthy recipe. These Sweet Potato Egg Boats are made with eggs, spinach, and tomatoes that is baked into a tender baked sweet potato, for a delicious, easy sweet potato egg bake.
This fall, I’ve partnered with the North Carolina Egg Association and experts from other top egg farming states to share easy dinner recipes to keep busy weeknights stress-free. Check out DishOnEggs.com for dozens of deliciously quick, family-friendly recipe ideas to add to your weekday dinner routine! Eggs aren’t just for breakfast—they add protein, flavor and texture to dinner dishes, too. From tacos and pizzas to salads and pasta, everything is better when you put an egg on it!
Sweet Potato Spinach Egg Boat
Talk about a healthy breakfast! These sweet potatoes stuffed with baked eggs are high in protein, low in fat, high in fiber, high in vitamins and nutrients and happen to be gluten-free and paleo.
And these Baked Sweet Potatoes with Eggs could not be easier to make! Therefore is sure to become a favorite at your house as well.
Steps to making Sweet Potato Egg Cups
Step One: Start with a pre-baked sweet potato.
- I suggest throwing in some sweet potatoes in the oven or instant pot the night before while you are making dinner and let them cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once the potato is cooled enough to handle, slice the potato in half lengthwise.
Step Two: Scoop out a Cavity for the Eggs
- I like to use a mini cookie scoop or melon baller, but a spoon will work, just be careful to leave some sweet potato flesh inside the sweet potato--this will prevent the egg mixture from searing out of the sweet potato.
Step Three: Season potatoes and stuff potatoes.
- Season each sweet potato half with salt and pepper and sprinkle with tomatoes and spinach. If you are not whole 30 or Paleo, add in some feta cheese as well for taste.
Step Four: Fill Sweet Potato With Eggs
- Mix together eggs with milk or water.
- Carefully pour egg mixture into well of potato.
Step Five: Bake Sweet Potato Egg Boats.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until egg is set. You can also broil, but will need to watch carefully after 5 minutes.
A Few More Pointers on Sweet Potato Baked Eggs
- Baked eggs in sweet potatoes can be customized ANYWAY you want! You can use white potatoes as well. And let the egg filling be anything you like in omelets--ham and cheese, sausage and peppers, mushrooms and onions....the list goes on and on. What a great way to feed a bunch of palates--every family member's Potato Egg Boat can be customized just the way they want it.
- DON'T Throw away the filling of the potatoes!! The baked sweet potato is a great addition to Sweet Potato Oatmeal, Sweet Potato Casserole, or Sweet Potato Pancakes.
- If you are using white potatoes, that extra potato filling would be great in Crispy Creamy Potato Pancakes.
- To keep these Spinach Egg Bakes paleo and whole-30 approved, omit feta cheese.
- If you are using smaller sweet potatoes for this recipe, you may only need 2-3 eggs. If you have leftover egg custard, just scramble up for another day.
Now grab a fork and dig into a gluten-free, protein-filled egg breakfast that is a boat of deliciousness!
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- Asparagus Frittata
- Mediterranean Frittata
- Gluten Free Banana Oat Pancakes
- Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
Baked Eggs in Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes baked and cooled
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup spinach chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper divided
- 2 tablespoons water or milk
- 2 tablespoons feta optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut baked sweet potatoes in half and carefully scoop out the center of each half, leaving about ½ inch border of sweet potato left.
- Sprinkle each half with salt and pepper (use about ½ teaspoon of each total). Divide spinach, tomato, and feta if using evenly between each sweet potato half.
- Mix together eggs with remaining ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper and water or milk. Carefully pour into whisked eggs into sweet potato halves.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until eggs are set.