Learn to make fluffy, perfectly cooked quinoa using your Instant Pot with this fool-proof recipe for Instant Pot Quinoa.
I get excited about things that make my life easier. The Instant Pot happens to be one of those things.
Instant Pot Quinoa is the EASIEST way to prepare quinoa. And it turns out perfectly fluffy and tender every time.
While preparing quinoa in the Instant Pot is not much faster than preparing it on the stove, it is completely hands-off.
And the results are perfect! Every single grain is tender and fluffy.
Instant Pot Quinoa is a staple at my house, and I believe it will be one at yours as well!
Notes On Ingredients
- Quinoa: Quinoa is a healthy whole grain that is packed with fiber and protein. You can find it in a variety of colors and any variety of quinoa works in this recipe.
- Liquid: To cook the quinoa, you can use water or broth. Using broth will give the quinoa more flavor, but water is perfect when you are looking for a blank slate.
- Seasonings: You can add in whatever seasonings you like when preparing quinoa. I typically opt to just use a pinch of salt, so that I can use the quinoa as desired in a variety of recipes.
How To Make Instant Pot Quinoa
Step One: Rinse Quinoa
- Place quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold, running water for at least 2 minutes, or until the water runs clear.
Why rinse quinoa? Rinsing removes quinoa's natural coating which can make it taste bitter. Even though most quinoa is pre-rinsed I still find that quinoa tastes better and is much fluffier, if you rinse the quinoa before cooking.
Step Two: Cook Quinoa
Cooking quinoa in the pressure cooker requires a 1:1 ratio. Meaning, you use the same ratio of quinoa to liquid. So for 1 cup quinoa, you would use 1 cup liquid; 2 cups of quinoa, use 2 cups of liquid.
- Place the rinsed quinoa inside the instant pot.
- Add in liquid of your choice along with a dash of salt.
- Be sure the quinoa is fully submerged in the liquid.
- To cook the quinoa, use the manual or pressure cook function and set the cooking time to 1 minute on high pressure.
Step Three: Let Pressure Release
- After the cooking time has elapsed, allow the pressure to release fully on its own.
- Once the pressure has been released, open the Instant Pot and fluff the quinoa with a fork, not a spoon, as this will help keep the grain nice and fluffy.
- Instant Pot Quinoa is a bit bland in flavor to be served as a stand-alone side dish. However, the uses for cooked are endless.
- Serve with Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry or Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken in place of steamed rice.
- Use as the base for a Burrito Bowl.
- Instant Pot Quinoa shines in quinoa salads, like Greek Quinoa Salad, Quinoa Spinach Salad, or Mexican Quinoa Salad.
- Use the cooked quinoa to quickly prepare delicious Quinoa Burgers.
- Serve the quinoa warm with a drizzle of nut butter, honey, and sliced bananas for a wholesome breakfast packed with nutrients and protein.
Storing Cooked Quinoa
I highly suggest doubling or tripling this recipe for Instant Pot Quinoa, as it freezes great and can be used in so many ways.
To store the quinoa, prepare as directed, and then allow to cool. Place the quinoa in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
More Instant Pot Staple Recipes
If you tried this recipe for Instant Pot Quinoa, I would love for you to leave a review and comment below.
Instant Pot Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 cup water or broth
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt omit if using broth
- Measure out the quinoa and place it into a fine-mesh strainer. Rinse under cold, running water for 2 minutes, or until the water runs clear. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!
- Place the rinsed quinoa, liquid, and salt into the inner pan of the pressure cooker.
- Seal the pressure cooker, being sure that the vent knob is turned to seal.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 1 minute, by hitting manual or pressure cook and using the +/- buttons to adjust to 1 minute.
- After the cooking time has elapsed, allow the pressure to release naturally on its own.
- Once the pressure has been released, open up the Instant Pot, and fluff with a fork.
- Serve as desired.