Instant Pot Quinoa is the EASIEST way to cook fluffy, tender quinoa. This simple method for making quinoa is ready in minutes. A fool-proof method for cooking quinoa in your pressure cooker every time!
I get excited about things that make my life easier. The Instant Pot happens to be one of those things.
Take quinoa for example. In about 20 minutes of total time, I have PERFECTLY cooked fluffy quinoa. Every single time. And yes, that is counting the time it takes for the pressure to build and release!
How To Make Instant Pot Quinoa
Step One: Rinse Quinoa
Why rinse quinoa? Rinsing removes quinoa’s natural coating which can make it taste bitter. Even though most quinoa is pre-rinsed I still find that quinoa tastes better and is much fluffier, if you rinse the quinoa before cooking.
Step Two: Cook Quinoa
Cooking quinoa in the pressure cooker requires a 1:1 ratio. Meaning, you use the same ratio of quinoa to liquid. So for 1 cup quinoa, you would use 1 cup liquid.
- Place rinsed quinoa in the instant pot.
- Add in liquid.
- Add a dash of salt–this helps to season the quinoa.
- Put the lid on instant pot and be sure to turn vent knob to “seal.”
- Cook on High Pressure for 1 minute.
Step Three: Let Pressure Release
As with anything starchy, like rice or beans, pressure needs to be released naturally. This should be done in less than 10 minutes.
This is a perfect recipe to make extra of and use for meals throughout the week or freeze for future use.
- Prepare quinoa as recipe directs.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Freeze in 1-2 cup portions in freezer-safe bags or containers.
- Defrost in fridge overnight to use in salads, burgers, or as a side dish.
A few Notes on Instant Pot Quinoa
- You can use water, Chicken Stock, vegetable stock, or beef broth as the cooking liquid in this quinoa recipe. If you use salted broth, you can omit the added salt.
- Regardless of how much quinoa you make, the cook time remains the same. However, time to reach pressure or for pressure to release may take longer.
- You can use any variety of quinoa and the process will remain the same.
How to Use Instant Pot Quinoa
- Greek Quinoa Salad
- Veggie Packed Quinoa Burgers
- Mozzarella and Tomato Quinoa Bake
- Quinoa Spinach Salad
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
Instant Pot Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 cup cooking liquid water or stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt omit if using stock
- Rinse quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer for 2 minutes.
- Place rinsed quinoa, liquid, and salt into inner pan of pressure cooker.
- Seal the pressure cooker, being sure that the vent knob is turned to seal.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 1 minute.
- Allow pressure to release naturally and then fluff with a spoon or fork.
- Serve as desired.