Packed with vitamin C, antioxidants, and healthy fats, this is a nutrient packed smoothie that will give your immune system a boost!
I don't know where you all stand with winter, but for me, I HATE it!! I hate being cold, I hate having to be indoors so much, and I hate all the illnesses that are floating around this time of year.
For me and my family, catching a cold is NEVER just a cold. Cystic Fibrosis compromises us so much that each illness has the potential to turn serious quickly. So even though no one likes being sick, I really HATE being sick.
However, I refuse to live my life in fear. Instead, I arm my family by taking all the steps to keep us health, including drinking this Immune Boosting Smoothie!
Immune Boosting Smoothie
I call this Citrus Smoothie Cold Be Gone Smoothie because it is a powerhouse of nutrients that are proven to help our bodies stay strong. And as much as I eat a healthy and well varied diet, I do try to load up on vitamin C during cold and flu season, so this citrus smoothie is a great way to do so.
- Fresh Orange Juice--Give the smoothie tons of flavor in addition to being rich with vitamin C.
- Kiwi--Full of antioxidants, fiber, and vitamin C.
- Berries--Antioxidants and adds a sweetness to the smoothie.
- Ginger--Has been used as cold remedy for years. Known for being soothing to your stomach and helps to clear those sinuses. It is does add quite the kick of flavor, so if you don't care for fresh ginger, just omit from smoothie.
- Raw Honey--Known for being anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral. And of course adds sweetness to the dish! Must be raw honey to have the benefits. Be sure to omit for children under a year old.
- Avocado--Rich in healthy fats and you need fat to absorb all these nutrients. Plus it gives the smoothie a creamy rich texture!
No smoothie or vitamin can protect you against infection 100% of the time, but with this nutrient packed smoothie , you are certainly boosting your chances at staying healthy!
More Smoothie Recipes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
- Pina Colada Smoothie
- Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie
- Mango Ginger Smoothie
Immune Boosting Smoothie
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 kiwi peeled
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- ½ avocado peeled
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- ½ cup berries frozen or fresh, any combination
- 1 cup fresh spinach optional
- Place orange juice, chopped kiwi, honey, avocado into blender. Grate ginger over top of ingredients. Pulse mixture together a few times until avocado and kiwi are broken down.
- Add in berries and spinach if using and blend on high until completely smooth and all ingredients are well combined. Note that especially if using frozen berries, you may need to add ¼ cup more juice or water to combine.
- Use any type of berries you like, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries or strawberries, or a combination.
- For a sweeter smoothie, add up to 1 more teaspoon of honey or ½ a ripe banana.
- Fresh orange juice is best for the most nutrients, but refrigerated juice will work as well.
- Adding greens is COMPLETELY optional. It will give the smoothie a darker, almost brown hue, but does add in extra calcium and vitamins.
- NEVER give raw honey to a child under 1 year of age!