Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie: Fulfill your nutritional needs and power yourself up with a healthy protein shake chock full of protein, healthy fats, and nutrients that tastes just like a decadent peanut butter cup.
Do you kill it at the gym? Are you trying to gain muscle mass? Training for a marathon?
Maybe you are a busy chasing toddlers around and have no time to eat for yourself?
Or do you have medical restrictions that require you to eat a high calorie diet?
If you said Yes to any of the above, you are probably in search of high calorie snacks that help you meet your nutritional goals.
And I have the PERFECT smoothie for you!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
While I wish I could tell you I said Yes to killing it at the gym, I said Yes to the last question.
As many of you know, I have Cystic Fibrosis.
And as part of my daily regimen, I need to consume tons of calories in a day. How many, you ask? I strive for 3500-4500 a day.
If you are thinking, Wow, must be nice to be able to eat whatever you want whenever you want. STOP THAT THOUGHT RIGHT THERE!
First let’s look at WHY I have to eat so much. I have pancreatic insufficiency due to Cystic Fibrosis. I could give you the technical medical explanation, but my abbreviated explanation is that due to CF thick mucus has blocked the duct from my pancreas to my stomach. The result is my stomach doesn’t receive the proper pancreatic enzymes, resulting in fat malabsorption, malnutrition, and fat-soluble vitamin deficiencies.
Maybe that doesn’t sound that bad to you. But let me be real for a moment. This is HOW pancreatic insufficiency effects my day to day life, even after taking all the proper medications.
- I spend more time in the bathroom than any person wishes and the stomach pain I experience is hell.
- Fat malabsorption causes pretty significant gas issues. Funny story–When I was a nanny in college one of the children, bought a gas mask at a vintage shop as a joke to wear when he was with me. Real cute.
- Often times I don’t want to eat. I am in pain or I am nervous the food will be too hard for me to digest that pain will shortly following eating. Not a choice I get to make though. I must NEVER skip a meal.
- I am physically weaker than I wish I was. I can’t fight off infections as well as others do and when I do succumb to even a mild cold, it takes me down hard! Sometimes for more than a month.
- I am underweight. Not by a little–by 20+ pounds.There are days I hide it well and look petite and cute. Other days, every bone of my body is sticking out and my face is so sunken in it is scary. I have been asked more than once if I am eating enough. At my son’s 5th Grade celebration, I overhead a group of girls saying Wow, she is SO skinny! Not what I wanted to hear–I wanted them to say something like Wow, she has such cute shoes, etc. And my son certainly did not want his mom being discussed in anyway shape or form–way too embarrassing for an 11 year old boy.
I know some of you reading this, know EXACTLY what I am talking about because you too, experience the same issues.
But many of you do NOT relate.
What you may relate to is the fact you need extra calories because of another medical condition or you are just looking to replace calories burned after an intense workout. Regardless of the reason, I am sharing with you my all time FAVORITE high calorie, high protein shake–that is made with clean ingredients and NO protein powders. You can read more about why protein powders and nine other so-called healthy foods are NOT considered healthy in my book.
Peanut Butter Cup Power Protein Smoothie
This chocolate peanut butter smoothie is my dream come true.
Just listen to all this peanut butter chocolate shake has going for it:
- high protein
- high calorie
- high in fiber, calcium, omega fatty acids, and potassium
- easy to make.
- naturally sweetened–no artificial aftertaste or sugar crash!
- easy to digest (Hallelujah)
- tastes like my favorite dessert of all time–a chocolate peanut butter cup!!
I am thinking this just may be your new favorite smoothie as well.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie’s Key Ingredients:
- Milk: Any variety. I typically use unsweetened almond milk because it is low in sugar and high in calcium. But whole milk or full fat coconut milk are both great options to up the calories and fat in a healthy way.
- Peanut Butter: A tasty way to get some healthy fats in my body. Also plant based fat has always been easier for me to absorb and digest than animal fat. Feel free to sub with almond butter/sunbutter if allergies exist.
- Chia Seeds and Ground Flax Seed: For omega 3 fatty acids and extra fiber
- Banana: Provides potassium and sweetens the smoothie naturally. I like to use half a frozen banana and half a fresh banana for optimum texture.
- Cocoa Powder: Purely for my taste buds (but does also contain antioxidants)
- Coconut Oil: The MCT fats in coconut oil are so much easier for my body to absorb. So this is a no-brainer way for me to sneak some fats into my diet.
- Greek yogurt: High in protein and calcium.
Feel free to add in some wheat germ or oats as well for extra nutrition. And you can also add in a tablespoon of maple syrup or a few soft dates to give the shake extra sweetness. I don’t need it but my kids sometimes appreciate it 🙂
So grab your blender (and your enzymes if you are pancreatic insufficient) and in a minute or two, you will have a smoothie that tastes better than any pre-made smoothie on the market!
And if you are intolerant to dairy, this Vegan Cocoa Coconut Low Carb Shake from Cotter Crunch is a fabulous option.
Let’s Make this Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
- 1 cup milk whole milk, coconut milk, almond milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 banana either frozen or fresh or a mixture of the two
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter feel free to use more
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend away until smooth and creamy. Serve.
If you are a Cystic Fibrosis Fighter like I am, be sure to check out Walgreens CF Champions Site for encouragement, tips, and medical advice.
If you like this Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake, you may also enjoy: