Overnight Pumpkin French Toast Casserole: Whole wheat bread cubes are soaked overnight in a pumpkin spice custard then topped with a streusel topping, creating a rich French Toast casserole better than any Spiced Latte on the market.
I would choose French Toast over waffles or pancakes just about any day. But my family, they are more about pancakes.
However, when I turn french toast into Pumpkin French Toast, they cannot resist!
Overnight Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
This recipe starts just like my traditional Overnight French Toast Casserole, with bread soaked in a rich custard. The difference is that instead of a plain custard, this custard is made with pumpkin and warming fall spices.
Let me tell you while this casserole was baking and coffee was brewing, my house smelled like a pumpkin spice latte and pumpkin pie all at once. It was heaven!
How to Make Pumpkin French Toast
- Cube up stale whole wheat or regular french bread.
- Place into a buttered casserole dish
- Whisk together pumpkin, milk, eggs, and spices for a pumpkin spice flavored custard.
- Pour the custard over the bread cubes and cover.
- Place in refrigerator for 8-24 hours.
- In the morning, remove the pumpkin french toast from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature while the oven preheats.
- Make the crumble by combining oats, butter, cinnamon and a bit of brown sugar together.
- Sprinkle topping over the casserole.
- Bake until casserole is set.
Notes on Pumpkin Spice French Toast
- Feel free to use any bread you like. I recommend a bread that is a few days old, as this helps the bread to be able to absorb the custard.
- Use a 9×13 or 2 quart baking dish for this casserole.
- I prefer using freshly grated nutmeg and ginger to the dried varieties. If you do not have whole nutmeg or fresh ginger, use 1/4 teaspoon DRIED of each.
More French Toast Recipes
- Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Raspberry Breakfast Casserole from Vegetarian Mama
- Eggnog French Toast Casserole with Bourbon Glaze
- Bananas Foster French Toast
- Chia and Granola Crusted Banana Bread French Toast
- Baklava French Toast with Cinnamon Honey Syrup
Overnight Pumpkin Spice French Toast Casserole Recipe
Overnight Pumpkin Spice French Toast Casserole
French toast casserole made with pumpkin puree and warming spices and then topped with a delicious streusel.
- 1 pound bread cubed into 1 inch pieces (preferably whole wheat bread or french bread)
- 2 cups unsweetened vanillla almondmilk or dairy milk with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs scrambled
- 1 cup pumpkin filling
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
- dash of salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup plus more for serving
- Steusel Topping:
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 tablespoons unrefined brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons softened buter plus more for butter pan
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Butter a 2 quart casserole dish. Place cubed bread in casserole dish.
Mix together milk, pumpkin, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, maple syrup, and salt together. Pour over bread and toss bread together until evenly coated with custard (I used my hands.)
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
In morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare streusel by crumbling oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter together. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned.