It does not get much easier than this Simple Spinach Salad with Avocados. The creamy avocados, the sharp onions, and the bright lemon dressing make this Spinach Avocado Salad refreshing and satisfying.
The Easiest Spinach Salad Recipe
One of my mom's go-to side salads was this recipe for Spinach Avocado Salad.
While on the surface it does not seem impressive, as it is made with just 5 ingredients, the results are spectacular.
The contrast from the earthy spinach to the creamy avocado to the burst of freshness from the lemon juice to the rich olive oil, this salad has it all.
And it couldn't be easier to make.
Notes on Ingredients
Because this salad is made with only 5 ingredients, it is crucial to select good quality ingredients.
- Spinach: Use baby spinach leaves for best results. If you have mature spinach leaves, trim off the woody stems and give them a quick chop in order to have bite-sized pieces.
- Avocado: Use ripe Haas avocado. You want the avocado to be creamy and ripe, yet not overly ripe and mushy.
- Red Onions: Red onions will add a nice pungent burst of flavor to the salad, but feel free to omit or use pickled red onions in place of the fresh onions. If you would like a more mild flavor from the red onions, soak the sliced onion in water for up to 1 hour before assembling the salad.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Be sure to use a good quality extra-virgin olive oil for the best flavor.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: There is NO substitute for fresh lemon juice. It adds acidity to the salad which is key to the flavor.
How To Make Spinach Avocado Salad
Spinach Salad with avocado comes together in minutes and is best assembled immediately before serving, as the avocado will brown after being sliced.
- In a large serving bowl, toss the spinach with olive oil, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Top the dressed spinach with the sliced avocado and red onion if using.
- Finish the salad by drizzling it with a bit more olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.
- Serve immediately.
This fast spinach salad is the perfect side dish for just about any entree. Some of my favorite recipes to pair this salad with are below.
- Baked Italian Meatballs
- Italian Stuffed Shells
- Chicken Marsala
- Instant Pot Pasta
- Honey Lemon Chicken Skillet
Need more inspiration for planning meals that your family will love? Sign up for my FREE Meal Plans and each week you will get a meal plan with a shopping list.
If you tried out this simple spinach salad recipe, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Spinach Avocado Salad
- Mix the spinach with ½ teaspoon salt, 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil, and ½ tablespoon lemon juice.
- Add the onions and avocados to the dressed spinach and drizzle with the remaining olive oil, salt, and lemon juice.
- Serve immediately.