Sweet Potato Nachos with Avocado Cilantro Cream : Spiced, baked Sweet potato rounds become the base for healthy nachos. They are topped with black beans, cheese and a healthy drizzle of avocado cilantro cream that is to die for. Gluten Free. Vegetarian.
Time for another Game Day Recipe.
At this point, you are either on pins and needles as your team enters into the hardest part of their football schedule, or you have given up hope for the year. I am not choosing to not share with you where I fall on that spectrum, sigh!
I love nachos. My hubbie loves nachos. My kids love nachos.
Crunchy chips smothered with cheese–what is NOT to love?!
Maybe the calories. Maybe the grease. Maybe the fat.
Or maybe you don’t care about any of that and you just want to experience a new version of nachos that are CRAZY good.
Because I sure did, and I am so glad I came up with this concoction to devour during our last marathon of college football games (and hey–if the game didn’t do my way, at least I knew I would enjoy what I was eating!!)
First of all, the flavor combo alone should convince you to try these nachos. Sweet potatoes, black beans, sharp cheese, and a tangy cilantro sauce to boot–Party in my mouth!
But think about how healthy these nachos are as well:
- A baked sweet potato “chip”: lower in fat and grease, and full of vitamin A and fiber
- Black beans: healthy, low-fat source of protein and fiber
- Avocado Cilantro Cream: healthy fats from avocados and an extra boost of protein and calcium from the Greek yogurt that is also in this “cream.”
So good, and good for you!
Prepping the Sweet Potatoes:
I used a food processor fitted with a thin slicer blade to slice my sweet potatoes into thin, uniform slices. A mandolin works just as well (I just choose the food processor because I would be using it for the Avocado Cream as well.)
Baking the Sweet Potatoes:
After tossing the sweet potatoes with a bit of mild oil and fiesta seasonings, I baked at 425 degrees until tender and a bit crispy.
Prepping the Nachos:
Serving the Nachos
After a quickly whirling half an avocado with some fresh lime juice, cilantro, Greek yogurt and salt, I dolloped the tangy sauce over my sweet potato nachos. The sauce added a kick that helped to cut through the spices that I coated the “chips” with.
Try this recipe out for your next Game Day or party. Your taste buds will not be disappointed!
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon each of paprika, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed (or 2 cups of pre-cooked beans)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup Greek yogurt (plain)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the Sweet Potato Chips:
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Slice the sweet potato into ⅛ inch slices using a food processor or mandoline.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with the oil and spices and spread into a thin layer on a large rimmed sheet pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes and flip. Bake for another 10 minutes, until edges are beginning to curl up and get crispy.
- Remove from oven and top with beans and cheese. Return to oven until cheese is melted--about 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the Avocado Cilantro Cream. Blend the avocado, yogurt, cilantro, juice and zest of a lime, and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Once nachos are out of the oven, dollop as desired with the cream.