Baked Sweet Potato Nachos with Avocado Cilantro Cream : Spiced, baked sweet potato chips become the base for healthy nachos. These homemade sweet potato nachos are topped with black beans, cheese and a healthy drizzle of avocado cilantro cream that is to die for. Gluten Free. Vegetarian.
Time for another Game Day Recipe.
At this point, you are either on pins and needles as your team enters into the hardest part of their football schedule, or you have given up hope for the year.
I am not choosing to not share with you where I fall on that spectrum, sigh!
But regardless of what how I feel about football, I always am up for the food–you are too, right?!
But I must share with you my newest love:
Sweet Potato Nachos with Avocado Cilantro Cream
I love nachos. My husband loves nachos. My kids love nachos.
Crunchy chips smothered with cheese–what is NOT to love?!
Maybe the calories. Maybe the grease. Maybe the fat.
Or maybe you don’t care about any of that and you just want to experience a new version of nachos that are CRAZY good.
Because I sure did!!
I am so glad I came up with these healthy nachos to devour during our last marathon of college football games (and hey–if the game didn’t go my way, at least I knew I would enjoy what I was eating!!)
First of all, the flavor combo alone should convince you to try Sweet Potato Nachos. Sweet potatoes, black beans, sharp cheese, and a tangy cilantro sauce to boot–Party in my mouth!
And yes, it is another Easy Sweet Potato Recipe.
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Nachos are:
- A homemade baked sweet potato “chip”: These healthy baked sweet potato chips lower in fat and grease, and full of vitamin A and fiber
- Black beans: healthy, low-fat source of protein and fiber
- Avocado Cilantro Cream: healthy fats from avocados and an extra boost of protein and calcium from the Greek yogurt that is also in this “cream.”
So good, and good for you!
How to make homemade Sweet Potato Chips:
I used a food processor fitted with a thin slicer blade to slice my sweet potatoes into thin, uniform slices. A mandolin works just as well (I just choose the food processor because I would be using it for the Avocado Cream as well.)
Baking the Sweet Potato Chips:
After tossing the sweet potato chips with a bit of mild oil and fiesta seasonings, I baked at 425 degrees until tender and a bit crispy.
Prepping the Sweet Potato Nachos:
How to Serve Baked Sweet Potato Nachos
After a quickly whirling half an avocado with some fresh lime juice, cilantro, Greek yogurt and salt, I dolloped the tangy Cilantro Avocado sauce over my sweet potato nachos. The sauce added a kick that helped to cut through the spices that I coated the “chips” with.
These Easy Sweet Potato Nachos are my kind of food: simple, healthy, and flavorful. And it is finger food which makes it that much more fun!
Notes on Homemade Healthy Nachos:
- If you are looking for crispy sweet potato chips, increase the baking time by 10 minutes per side. I like the homemade chips to still have a bit of give, leaving the sweet potato rounds to be soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside, but if you want the chips to be more sturdy, bake longer.
- I love black beans and therefore chose to top the sweet potato chips with them–but you can certainly use ground beef, shredded chicken or pinto beans.
- If you don’t like cilantro, omit it from the avocado cream, or top these homemade nachos with sour cream and diced avocado instead.
I think it is HIGH time you try nachos made with something other than CHIPS–like these or one of my favorite’s–Low Carb Primal Sweet Pepper Nachos from All Day I Dream About Food. Your taste buds will not be disappointed!
Sweet Potato Nachos with Avocado Cilantro Cream (Gluten-Free)
Spiced, baked Sweet potato rounds become the base for healthy nachos. They are topped with black beans, cheese and a healthy drizzle of avocado cilantro cream that is to die for.
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon each of paprika salt, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1 15 oz can of black beans rinsed (or 2 cups of pre-cooked beans)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Sweet Potato Chips:
Preheat oven to 425.
Slice the sweet potato into 1/8 inch slices using a food processor or mandoline.
Toss the sweet potatoes with the oil and spices and spread into a thin layer on a large rimmed sheet pan.
Bake for 20 minutes and flip. Bake for another 10 minutes, until edges are beginning to curl up and get crispy.
Remove from oven and top with beans and cheese. Return to oven until cheese is melted--about 5-8 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the Avocado Cilantro Cream. Blend the avocado, yogurt, cilantro, juice and zest of a lime, and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor or blender until smooth.
Once nachos are out of the oven, dollop as desired with the cream.
Increase baking time by 1o minutes per side of sweet potato chips for crispier texture.
More Easy Game Day Snacks