Taco night just got a whole lot easier with these Instant Pot Chicken Tacos! This recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos is made with only 4 ingredients and comes together with minimal effort and spectacular results.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are hands down one of my favorite weeknight meals.
Made with just a couple of pantry ingredients, this easy recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Taco Meat just can not be beaten.
- FAST. Ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Allergy-Friendly: This chicken taco meat is gluten-free, dairy-free, Paleo, and Whole30 approved.
- Even picky eaters LOVE these Instant Pot Chicken Tacos.
- You can make these Chicken Tacos with fresh or frozen chicken.
- Chicken Stock: For the cooking liquid use homemade chicken stock or quality store-bought stock for the best flavor.
- Chicken: Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or chicken thighs for this recipe. And the chicken can be frozen or fresh.
- Taco Seasoning: I always keep homemade taco seasoning on hand. It is simple to make, preservative-free, and tastes better. But feel free to use a store-bought Taco Seasoning mix or just add garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and onion powder to the chicken.
- Salsa: For this recipe, I do prefer jarred salsa over fresh salsa.
- Limes: You do not want to overlook the fresh lime and zest in this recipe. The added lime juice and lime zest are what make my recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos the best recipe!
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Place chicken stock and taco seasoning in Instant Pot and mix well.
- Place chicken breasts in chicken stock.
- Top chicken with salsa.
- Close lid on the pressure cooker and seal shut.
- Cook on high pressure.
- For Fresh Chicken Breasts: 7 minutes for 8-ounce chicken breasts
- For Frozen Chicken Breasts: 11 minutes for 8-ounce chicken breasts
- Once cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes.
- Using a hand-held kitchen mixer or 2 forks, shred the chicken right in the cooking juices. If you are worried about juice splattering, remove chicken from the pressure cooker, shred and then return back to cooking juices. Those cooking liquids help to season the chicken meat.
- Stir in zest and juice of fresh lime.
- Use a slotted spoon to dish out the shredded Mexican Chicken and then use for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, burrito bowls, or taco salad.
How to Double the Recipe
Shredded Chicken Taco Meat is great to have on hand for lunches, busy nights, and to stock in your freezer. This is why I always double or triple my recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos.
- To Double the Recipe: To make up to 2 pounds of shredded Mexican Chicken, you do not need to increase the amount of liquid, but you will want to double both the taco seasoning and salsa. The juice and zest of one lime will still be enough to brighten this Chicken Taco Meat.
- To Triple the Recipe use 2 cups chicken stock, and 3 times the amount of taco seasoning and salsa. Use the zest and juice of two full limes when preparing 3 pounds of chicken.
The chicken meat will last 3-4 days in the fridge, and can also be frozen for up to 3 months in the freezer once fully cooled.
You can control the level of spice by using mild salsa and omitting the cayenne pepper from the homemade taco seasoning. Alternatively, you can increase the heat level by using medium or hot salsa and adding up to ¼ teaspoon of additional cayenne pepper.
The salsa really adds the perfect flavor to this recipe, as the flavor is already developed and nuanced. However, you can use a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles in place of the salsa if needed.
The options are endless for how you serve this chicken taco meat. I personally, love to serve the shredded chicken on homemade tortillas and top with guacamole and lettuce. You can also use this Mexican Shredded Chicken as the base for Chicken Enchiladas or to top a Taco Pizza with.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot Burrito Bowl
I hope you enjoy this simple recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Taco Meat. And please leave a comment and review below.
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth see note
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning see note
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- ⅓ cup salsa
- 1 fresh lime optional, but highly encouraged
- Pour chicken stock into pressure cooker. Add in taco seasoning and mix well. Place chicken breasts in chicken stock and top chicken with salsa.
- Close the pressure cooker and point the vent knob to the sealed position. Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes for fresh chicken breasts or 11 minutes for frozen chicken breasts. *See time guidelines in recipe notes.
- Once the cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pressure cooker and shred chicken using handheld mixer or two forks. Add zest and juice of fresh lime to shredded chicken and mix well.
- Serve as a base for chicken tacos, in burrito bowls, or in enchiladas.
- 6 ounces each: 6 minutes on high pressure for fresh, 10 minutes for frozen
- 8 ounces each: 7 minutes on high pressure for fresh, 11 minutes for frozen
- 10 ounces each: 8 minutes on high pressure for fresh, 12 minutes for frozen