Taco night just got a whole lot easier with these Instant Pot Chicken Tacos! This recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos is simple and made with ingredients you probably have lying around–but the flavor is spectacular!
While we love these Chicken Tacos, you may be interested in Lentil Tacos, Easy Tacos with Ground Beef, or Pork Tacos, Buffalo Chicken Tacos for delicious Taco Night recipes as well. If you are looking for more Instant Pot Recipes, please check out all Instant Pot Recipes.
Chicken Tacos are hands down one of my favorite weeknight meals.
And let me tell you, YOU want this recipe!
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Made with just a couple pantry ingredients, this easy recipe for Chicken Taco Meat just can not be beat.
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos can be made in less than 30 minutes.
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken is gluten free, dairy-free, Paleo and Whole30 approved.
- Even picky eaters LOVE these Instant Pot Chicken Tacos.
- You can make these Chicken Tacos with fresh or frozen chicken.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Taco Meat
- Chicken Stock
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs work as well
- Taco Seasoning
You do not want to overlook the fresh lime and zest in this recipe. The added lime juice and lime zest is what make my recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos the best recipe!
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Step One: Cook Chicken in Pressure Cooker
- Place chicken stock and taco seasoning in Instant Pot and mix well.
- Place chicken breasts in chicken stock.
- Top chicken with salsa.
- Close lid on pressure cooker, pointing knob to sealed.
- Cook on high pressure.
- For Fresh Chicken Breasts: 7 minutes for 8 ounce chicken breasts
- For Frozen Chicken Breasts: 11 minutes for 8 ounce chicken breasts
Step Two: Shred Chicken
- Once cook time has elapsed, let pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes.
- Using a hand-held kitchen mixer or 2 forks, shred the chicken right in the cooking juices.
- If you are worried about juice splattering, remove chicken from pressure cooker, shred and then return back to cooking juices. Those cooking liquids help to season the chicken meat.
- Stir in zest and juice of fresh lime.
Step Three: Serve Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- This Shredded Mexican Chicken is perfect for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, burrito bowls, or taco salad.
- A great tip is to use a slotted spoon to dish out Mexican Shredded Chicken to keep your taco from being soggy!
How to Double Recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Shredded Chicken Taco Meat is great to have on hand for lunches, busy nights and to stock in your freezer. This is why I always double or triple my recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos.
A few tips to making extra Instant Pot Mexican Chicken
- Use 1 cup chicken stock for up to 2 pounds chicken breasts, but double taco seasoning and salsa amount. One lime will still be enough to brighten this Chicken Taco Meat.
- For 3-4 pounds chicken breasts, use 2 cups chicken stock, and 3-4 times the amount of taco seasoning and salsa. You will also want to use 2 limes for this amount of chicken.
Tips on Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- You can freeze leftover Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- The chicken meat will last 3-4 days in the fridge–making this recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos great for meal prep.
- This recipe was designed for 8 ounce chicken breasts, which is standard in most grocery store packs of chicken. Be sure to check out my recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Breasts, which breaks down how to cook various sized chicken breasts in detail.
- Use any salsa you like for your Instant Pot Chicken Tacos.
- For an 8 quart Instant Pot, use 2 cups chicken stock to cook your chicken.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Pour chicken stock into pressure cooker. Add in taco seasoning and mix well. Place chicken breasts in chicken stock and top chicken with salsa.
- Close pressure cooker and point vent knob to sealed position. Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes for fresh chicken breasts, 11 minutes for frozen chicken breasts.
- Let pressure release naturally.
- Remove lid from pressure cooker and shred chicken using hand held mixer or two forks. Add zest and juice of fresh lime to shredded chicken and mix well.
- Serve as base for chicken tacos, in burrito bowls or in enchiladas.
- For an 8 quart Instant Pot, use 1.5 to 2 cups chicken stock to cook your chicken breasts in.
To Make Instant Pot Chicken Tacos, You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!