Taco night just got a whole lot easier with these Instant Pot Chicken Tacos! This recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos is simple and made with ingredients you probably have lying around–but the flavor is spectacular!
While we love these Chicken Tacos, you may be interested in Lentil Tacos, Easy Tacos with Ground Beef, or Pork Tacos, Buffalo Chicken Tacos for delicious Taco Night recipes as well. Serve Instant Pot Chicken Tacos with a Pina Colada, Mexican Rice, and Refried Beans for a restaurant-worthy meal made effortlessly at home.
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Chicken Tacos are hands down one of my favorite weeknight meals.
And let me tell you, YOU want this recipe!
Made with just a couple of pantry ingredients, this easy recipe for Chicken Taco Meat just can not be beat.
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos can be made in less than 30 minutes.
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken is gluten-free, dairy-free, Paleo, and Whole30 approved.
- Even picky eaters LOVE these Instant Pot Chicken Tacos.
- You can make these Chicken Tacos with fresh or frozen chicken.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Taco Meat
- Chicken Stock: For the cooking liquid use homemade chicken stock or quality store-bought stock for the best flavor.
- Chicken: Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs for this recipe. And the chicken can be frozen or fresh.
- Taco Seasoning: I always keep homemade taco seasoning on hand. It is simple to make, preservative-free, and tastes better. But feel free to use a store-bought Taco Seasoning mix or just add garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and onion powder to the chicken.
- Salsa: For this recipe, I do prefer jarred salsa over fresh pico de Gallo.
- Limes: You do not want to overlook the fresh lime and zest in this recipe. The added lime juice and lime zest is what make my recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos the best recipe!
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Step One: Cook Chicken in Pressure Cooker
- Place chicken stock and taco seasoning in Instant Pot and mix well.
- Place chicken breasts in chicken stock.
- Top chicken with salsa.
- Close lid on the pressure cooker, pointing knob to sealed.
- Cook on high pressure.
- For Fresh Chicken Breasts: 7 minutes for 8-ounce chicken breasts
- For Frozen Chicken Breasts: 11 minutes for 8-ounce chicken breasts
Step Two: Shred Chicken
- Once cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes.
- Using a hand-held kitchen mixer or 2 forks, shred the chicken right in the cooking juices. If you are worried about juice splattering, remove chicken from the pressure cooker, shred and then return back to cooking juices. Those cooking liquids help to season the chicken meat.
- Stir in zest and juice of fresh lime.
Step Three: Serve Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- This Shredded Mexican Chicken is perfect for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, burrito bowls, or taco salad.
- A great tip is to use a slotted spoon to dish out Mexican Shredded Chicken to keep your taco from being soggy!
How to Double Recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Shredded Chicken Taco Meat is great to have on hand for lunches, busy nights and to stock in your freezer. This is why I always double or triple my recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos.
A few tips to making extra Instant Pot Mexican Chicken
- Use 1 cup chicken stock for up to 2 pounds chicken breasts, but double taco seasoning and salsa amount. One lime will still be enough to brighten this Chicken Taco Meat.
- For 3-4 pounds chicken breasts, use 2 cups chicken stock, and 3-4 times the amount of taco seasoning and salsa. You will also want to use 2 limes for this amount of chicken.
- You can freeze leftover Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- The chicken meat will last 3-4 days in the fridge–making this recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos great for meal prep.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Pour chicken stock into pressure cooker. Add in taco seasoning and mix well. Place chicken breasts in chicken stock and top chicken with salsa.
- Close pressure cooker and point vent knob to sealed position. Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes for fresh chicken breasts, 11 minutes for frozen chicken breasts. *See time guidelines in recipe notes.
- Let pressure release naturally.
- Remove the lid from the pressure cooker and shred chicken using handheld mixer or two forks. Add zest and juice of fresh lime to shredded chicken and mix well.
- Serve as base for chicken tacos, in burrito bowls or in enchiladas.
- Cooking Time for Chicken Breasts/Thighs
- 6 ounces each: 6 minutes on high pressure for fresh, 10 minutes for frozen
- 8 ounces each: 7 minutes on high pressure for fresh, 11 minutes for frozen
- 10 ounces each: 8 minutes on high pressure for fresh, 12 minutes for frozen
- For an 8 quart Instant Pot, use 1.5 to 2 cups chicken stock to cook your chicken breasts in.
- The chicken meat will last 3-4 days in the fridge or you can freeze leftover Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- In place of taco seasoning, add in 1/4 teaspoon each of salt, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and chili powder.