Instant Pot Chicken Wings: Ready in less than 30 minutes, these Buffalo Chicken Wings are the most tender and flavorful chicken wings you will ever have.
Wings are my husband’s favorite go-to football snack and he has been known to devour more than his fair share during a football game or two.
But convincing him that homemade buffalo wings are just as good as store bought wings, that is a bit harder sell.
However, even he agrees, these Instant Pot Wings are Incredible.
Instant Pot Chicken Wings
Not only are these chicken wings incredibly full of flavor, Instant Pot Wings are the most tender wings you will ever have!
Tossed with a homemade spice rub and steamed to tender perfection, the chicken wings are then finished with a homemade buffalo sauce and broiled to achieve crisp skin.
How to make Pressure Cooker Chicken Wings
- Season chicken wings with spice rub.
- Place 1 cup of water in Instant Pot.
- Place rack or steamer basket inside pressure cooker.
- Place wings on rack or in steamer basket.
- Close lid on pressure cooker and be sure to have it sealed.
- Pressure Cook Chicken Wings.
- Toss with half the buffalo sauce.
- Broil chicken wings until skin is crispy.
- Brush remaining buffalo sauce over chicken wings.
- Serve with homemade ranch dressing or bleu cheese dressing.
How to Cook Fresh Chicken Wings
- For Fresh Chicken Wings cook on high pressure for 9 minutes.
How to Cook Frozen Chicken Wings
- For Frozen Chicken Wings cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When cooking frozen food, it may take up to 20 minutes for pressure cooker to reach pressure.
Homemade Buffalo Sauce
In my husband’s book, buffalo sauce is the only sauce acceptable for chicken wings. If Buffalo Sauce is not your favorite, feel free to use barbecue sauce or teriyaki sauce on these chicken wings.
To Make Buffalo Sauce
- Mix together hot sauce (like Red Hot brand), with melted butter, honey, and garlic powder.
- The honey and butter help to add depth and balance the hot sauce and garlic makes everything better.
- If you need PALEO Buffalo Sauce, use Ghee.
- If you need Dairy-Free Buffalo Sauce, omit butter altogether or use a vegan butter substitute.
- For KETO Buffalo Sauce, omit the honey and add in 1 teaspoon sweetener of choice (or omit sweetener altogether.)
Notes on Buffalo Chicken Wings
- I prefer to use chicken drumettes, as they typically yield more meat.
- If using full wings, remove tips and separate drumettes and flats separated (cook time remains the same.)
- It is not necessary to broil the chicken wings, but most people prefer the crispy chicken skin on the wings.
- Don’t be afraid to toss frozen meat with seasonings, the rub won’t stick as well, but it will still help to season the chicken wings perfectly.
- Use ghee in place of butter and maple syrup in place of honey for Paleo Buffalo Chicken Wings.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Chili
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Wing Recipe
Instant Pot Chicken Wings
For the Chicken Wings
- 3 pounds chicken drumettes or wings
- 1/2 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 cup water
For the Buffalo Sauce
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Toss chicken wings with seasoned salt.
- Pour 1 cup water into inner pot of pressure cooker for a 6 quart Instant Pot and 1.5 cups of water into an 8 quart instant pot. Place rack or steamer basket inside instant pot.
- Place seasoned wings on rack or in steamer basket.
- Seal lid of pressure cooker, being sure vent knob is closed to sealed.
- For Fresh Wings: Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- For Frozen Wings: Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Once the cook time has elapsed, let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then do a quick pressure release of any remaining pressure.
- Remove chicken wings from instant pot and place in large bowl.
- Mix together the hot sauce, honey, butter, and garlic powder.
- Pour half the buffalo sauce over the chicken wings and gently toss.
- Place the chicken wings on a baking sheet or broiler pan--I prefer to line the bottom of the pan with foil for easier clean-up.
- Broil chicken wings under high heat for 2-3 minutes per side to crisp up the chicken skin.
- Brush the chicken wings with remaining buffalo sauce and serve.
TO MAKE INSTANT POT WINGS YOU MAY NEED
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!