Tamale Pie: A hearty casserole filled with shredded seasoned meat and topped with a homemade cornbread that is captures the flavors of a tamale without all the work.
Tamales. I love them. I don’t want to make them.
At least not in their traditional form on a busy weeknight.
Give me the day in my kitchen alone with a large cup of coffee and some great music, and sure, then I will make the traditional version which requires making masa dough, soaking corn husks, making the filling, and on and on…
Oh snap–that is my reality!! I don’t have the day to myself in the kitchen to slave over tamales. So I order them out and enjoy.
And I make this quick “Tamale” Pie that is filled with the classic shredded meat and a homemade cornbread that comes together in no time!
- First I start by using leftover shredded pork from my Pork Carnitas–but you can use shredded chicken, meat from a rotisserie chicken, or even ground beef. Heck, you can add extra beans and make a vegetarian tamale. Personally, I like the texture and flavor that the shredded pork adds to this dish. Bonus is that I make my Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw one night for dinner and know that I will have enough meat to make this later in the week. Oh yeah, it is also made in crock-pot: DOUBLE BONUS!!
- Then I bulk the meat up by adding pinto beans (any beans you like will do), diced tomatoes, and season away.
- Pour into a large 9×13 pan.
- Then I make a quick and lightened up version of cornbread and spread the batter on top. I won’t tell if you use a boxed mix!
- Serve with cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
And guess what?
I did all that helping with homework, cleaning up puppy accidents, and breaking up sibling quarrels.
So yep, you can have the flavor of tamales at home despite your crazy life as well!
Now get cooking!
- For the Meat Mixture:
- 3 cups shredded meat
- 2 cups pinto beans
- 2 16oz cans diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- For the Cornbread:
- 1 cup whole white wheat flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or honey)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup corn, defrosted
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together meat, beans, tomatoes and seasonings and spread out in 9x13 pan.
- Mix together the dry ingredients for the cornbread. Add the milk, eggs, and yogurt to the flour and mix. Once combined add the corn and mix in gently.
- Dollop the cornbread batter over the top of the casserole and spread to cover.
- Bake for 45 minutes until bread is golden brown.