Homemade Taco Seasoning is so incredibly simple to make! With this easy, cheaper healthier version of Taco Seasoning, you can say good-bye to the processed packets forever!
PUT DOWN THE TACO SEASONING PACKET!!! RIGHT NOW!!!
It is time to save yourself money and make your own Taco Seasoning.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Probably my most used homemade spice blend of all time is Taco Seasoning. It is easy to make and helps to add incredible flavor to some of my family’s favorite recipes.
Why Make Taco Seasoning?
Let’s be honest, taco seasoning is easy to find in stores and is relatively inexpensive.
BUT packaged taco seasoning may have added ingredients like sugar, corn, gluten, or preservatives.
So by making Taco Seasoning at home, you can skip the MSG, sugar, corn additives, and preservatives found in all those little packets you buy at the store.
And friends, homemade taco seasoning is EASY to make and INEXPENSIVE.
The standard ingredients in taco seasoning are dried spices that are most likely already in your pantry.
- chili powder
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- dried oregano
- red pepper flakes
However, by making Homemade Taco Seasoning you can control the flavoring to your tastes.
- Don’t like garlic? Omit the garlic powder.
- Can’t handle the heat? Omit the red pepper flakes.
- Like it spicier? Increase red pepper flakes from 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon.
Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
Many people need low to no sodium taco seasoning for dietary or heath issues.
Simply omit the salt completely or cut the salt in half. The other dried spices in this taco seasoning will still add incredible flavor to your dishes, just minus the sodium.
How to Store
Homemade taco seasoning is great to make in a large batch because it will last for 6 months in your pantry.
- Taco seasoning, along with all other spice blends, is best stored in a sealable jar or container.
- A ball jar works great for a large batch of homemade taco seasoning.
- You want to make sure you store your spice seasoning in a sealed container so that it will not absorb flavors from other spices in your spice cabinet.
- Taco seasoning will last up to 6 months, and while safe to consume after 6 months, it has the best flavor in that time frame. After 6 months, dried spices begin to lose their potency.
To Replace Store Bought Packet
This recipe yields about 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, which is equivalent to store bought packets. Therefore, for every packet of taco seasoning called for in a recipe, one full recipe can be used it’s place.
Bulk Taco Seasoning
If your family is like me and loves all things tacos, make a large batch of Taco Seasoning and store in a sealable jar in your pantry.
This recipe for Homemade Taco Seasoning makes the equivalent of 20 packets of store bought taco seasoning.
- 1 1/2 cups chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oregano
- 1/2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup cumin
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1/3 cup pepper
Use 2 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning per recipe that calls for 1 packet of taco seasoning.
Uses for Taco Seasoning
- To use for Taco Meat: brown 1 pound of meat, then add in 2 tablespoons taco seasoning with and 1/2 cup water and simmer until water is absorbed.
- Season homemade fries
- Mix 2 tablespoons taco seasoning with 1 cup sour cream for a quick Taco Dip or dressing for Taco Salad.
- Season Sweet Potato Chips to make Sweet Potato Nachos
- Season burgers for a Southwestern spin
- Replace seasoning in Homemade Hamburger Helper with Taco Seasoning for Taco Mac.
- Chicken Chili
- Tamale Pie
- Mexican Lasagna
- Taco Pizza
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
Recipe for Taco Seasoning
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
How to Make Taco Seasoning
- Combine all ingredients and store in airtight container.
To Use Taco Seasoning
- Use teaspoon for teaspoon for recipes that call for taco seasoning.
- To use this taco seasoning as a packet of taco seasoning to season taco meat, add 1 recipe of this taco seasoning with 1/2 cup water to browned meat and simmer until liquid has evaporated.