Homemade Taco Seasoning is so incredibly simple to make! With this easy, cheaper healthier version of Taco Seasoning, you can say good-bye to the processed packets forever!
PUT DOWN THE TACO SEASONING PACKET!!! RIGHT NOW!!!
It is time to save yourself money and make your own Taco Seasoning.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Thankfully, I can save myself money by making my own Taco Spice Blend.
The added bonus is you can skip added added MSG, sugar, corn additives, and preservatives found in all those little packets you buy at the store by making homemade taco seasoning.
Ingredients in Homemade Taco Seasoning
- chili powder
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- dried oregano
- red pepper flakes
How to store Taco Seasoning
- Taco seasoning, along with all other spice blends, is best stored in a seal-able jar or container.
- You want to make sure you store your spice seasoning in a sealed container so that it will not absorb flavors from other spices in your spice cabinet.
- Taco seasoning will last up to 6 months, and while safe to consume after 6 months, it has the best flavor in that time frame. After 6 months, dried spices begin to lose their potency.
How to Use Homemade Taco Seasoning
- You can use this 2-3 tablespoons of this homemade taco seasoning in any recipe that calls for taco seasoning.
- In place of a Taco Seasoning Packet
- If you are wanting to use taco seasoning as you would a store bought packet to season ground beef, turkey, or chicken, add in 1 recipe of DIY taco seasoning (or 2-3 tablespoons) and 3/4 cup water to browned meat and simmer until water is absorbed.
- Use to spice up baked fries, beans, or vegetables.
Recipe for Large batch of Taco Seasoning
If your family is like me and loves all things tacos, make a large batch and then use 2-3 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning per recipe that calls for 1 packet of taco seasoning.
I suggest you multiply the quantities of this recipe by 4 and use 3 tablespoons of mixture each time you need it and store in a little spice jar, like this, and use as needed.
This recipe for DIY Taco Seasoning makes the equivalent of 20 packets of store bought taco seasoning.
- 1 1/2 cups chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oregano
- 1/2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup cumin
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1/3 cup pepper
Recipes that call for Taco Seasoning
- Taco Dip
- Chicken Chili
- Sweet Potato Nachos
- Tamale Pie
- Mexican Lasagna
- Taco Pizza
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
Recipe for Taco Seasoning
Homemade Taco Seasoning
An easy homemade version of taco seasoning.
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
Combine all ingredients and store in airtight container.
Nutrition facts are for one full recipe.