This Creamy Chicken Casserole, also known as Amish Chicken, is one of the most comforting casserole recipes. Pasta is coated in a creamy Parmesan sauce and is tossed with shredded chicken for an easy, creamy chicken casserole.
Creamy Chicken Casserole
This Creamy Noodle Casserole with chicken speaks of my childhood to me, it is comfort food at it’s finest–rich and soul-satisfying, yet SIMPLE!
My mom has been making a Creamy Chicken Casserole for decades that she referred to as Amish Chicken. It is made with a simple creamy Parmesan sauce, noodles and shredded chicken.
While this Chicken Casserole may not sound impressive in flavors, it is simple, classic comfort food. It is a meal that is perfect for picky eaters, sensitive palates, or just a great way to use up leftover chicken. It also happens to be incredibly easy to make!
How to Make Creamy Chicken Casserole
Step One: Make the Cream Sauce
- In a large dutch oven, melt butter.
- Whisk in flour to form a thick roux, and let cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly, whisk in white wine and chicken stock.
- Allow the sauce to thicken, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in milk, Parmesan, and seasonings.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes longer, or until sauce is combined and gently simmering.
Step Two: Prepare Pasta
- While making the cream sauce, bring a large stock pan filled with water to a rapid boil.
- Season the pasta water generously with salt.
- Add in pasta and cook for 1 minute less than package suggest.
- Drain pasta.
Step Three: Assemble Chicken Casserole
- Add the cooked pasta, along with shredded pre-cooked chicken to the cream sauce and toss well.
- Pour the chicken and noodle mixture into a greased 9×13 or 2 quart baking dish.
- Top the casserole with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.
Step 4: Bake the Chicken Casserole
- Bake the casserole until bubbly and the cheese is slightly browned.
How to Freeze Amish Chicken
- Freeze Amish Chicken by assembling up to baking.
- Allow to cool and store in large freezer gallon sized bag or in a disposable casserole pan.
- Defrost for 12 hours in refrigerator and bake as directed.
- To Reheat: Bake at 350 degrees covered for 1 hour and then uncover and bake for 20-30 minutes until dish is bubbly and warmed through.
Notes on Creamy Chicken Casserole
- Use leftover rotisserie chicken, Instant Pot shredded chicken breasts, or leftover roasted chicken for this Chicken Casserole.
- Use up leftover turkey in this casserole as well–it would then be very similar to a Turkey Tetrazzini.
- Any pasta such as rotini or corkscrew pasta works well to hold on to the creamy sauce.
- Feel free to leave the wine out of this casserole and use all chicken stock.
- You can also leave out the fresh thyme leaves, and use 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme–or omit altogether.
- My husband and son love to top this chicken casserole with a good splash of hot sauce before serving.
More Chicken Casseroles
- The Best Chicken Pot Pie
- Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
- Creamy and Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole
Creamy Chicken Casserole
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 8 oz whole grain rotini pasta noodles cooked al dente
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly butter a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Add flour and whisk together for 1 minute.
- Add wine, while whisking and allow to come to a boil. Slowly add chicken stock, thyme, salt and pepper as you whisk.
- Bring mixture to a boil and continue to whisk occassionaly. Lower heat and add milk and cheese.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until sauce is thickened and milk is warmed through.
- Pour sauce over cooked pasta and add diced chicken to the mixture. Stir together and pour into casserole pan.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes until top of casserole is browned.