This Buffalo Chicken Casserole is made with layers of potatoes and chicken that are perfectly seasoned with spicy buffalo flavor, topped with crisp bacon, sharp cheddar cheese and finished with a creamy ranch dressing.
Can I let you in on a little secret?
Yep, the cat is certainly out of the bag!!
And while my my boys love to dig into all things Buffalo, as I do, their all time favorite Buffalo Chicken recipe is my Buffalo Chicken Potato Casserole.
Buffalo Chicken Casserole
This buffalo chicken casserole is not only incredibly hearty, but it is also full of flavor and spice. And it is extremely easy to make and budget friendly! Not to mention this Buffalo Chicken Casserole it is a complete meal in one dish.
Steps to Making Buffalo Chicken Casserole
Step One: Mix together potatoes with oil and seasonings in large bowl.
Step Two: Pour potatoes into large casserole dish and bake until tender at a high temperature, which allows these potatoes to get crispy, like oven fries. Which makes this dish sort of like loaded cheesy fries–but acceptable for dinner.
Step Three: In the same dish you mixed the potatoes with the seasonings, mix the chicken with an additional tablespoon hot sauce.
Step Four: Add the chicken to the potatoes and return to the oven at a lower temperature to let the chicken cook.
Step Five: Remove the buffalo casserole from the oven and top with cheese and bacon. And return to the oven to melt the cheese.
Step Six: I love to serve this homemade buffalo chicken with my homemade ranch dressing.
A few Notes about Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- I typically use russet potatoes for this casserole, because I always have them in my pantry, but red potatoes or yukon gold potatoes work as well.
- I recommend Frank’s Red Hot Sauce for the optimum flavor, but any generic brand of this hot sauce works too. Just don’t substitute it with Sriracha or another blend of hot sauce.
- If you don’t want to precook your bacon before adding to the casserole, add the bacon along with the chicken in the baking process. The bacon won’t get quite as crisp, but it will still cook through.
- Sharp cheddar is my preferred cheese in this easy Buffalo Chicken Bake, but mozzarella, Colby or provolone all work.
- My favorite way to serve this Buffalo Chicken Casserole is with a side salad both topped with homemade ranch dressing.
Buffalo Chicken Casserole Recipe
Buffalo Chicken Potato Casserole
Seasoned potatoes and chicken are baked together with cheese and bacon for a hearty, flavorful family dinner.
- 6 medium/large russet potatoes cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1 Tbs canola oil
- 2 Tbs Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 4 slices nitrate free bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheese
Preheat oven to 425.
Mix potatoes together with oil, 1 tablespoon hot sauce, and dried seasonings in large bowl. Dump mixture into a 9x13 pan and bake for 45 minutes.
In the meantime, mix chicken with the remaining 1 Tbs of Red Hot Sauce.
Turn the oven to 375 and top the potatoes with chicken. Return to oven for 20 minutes.
Remove casserole from oven and top with cheese and chopped bacon. Return to oven once again until cheese is melted--no more than 10 minutes.
Serve with ranch dressing to cool down the heat.