This is the EASIEST and TASTIEST Loaded Baked Potato Soup! 30 minutes is all you need to get a creamy, comforting, and healthy soup on the table. This potato soup is one of the creamiest I have ever had, but yet it contains no butter and less cheese than most recipes call for. It is the perfect recipe for cold, busy nights!
There are recipes that are near and dear to my heart.
This Baked Potato Soup is one of them for me. Not only because it is delicious, but it reminds me of a dear friend I lost several years ago.
Many years ago, I spent a couple of days a week volunteering with some fabulous women at my church. We spent hours cutting out circles and counting craft sticks for the Preschool Ministry. And while we cut and counted away, we developed such close friendships. We worked away while we shared our parenting struggles, our frustrations, and our hearts.
One of these precious friends was battling her 3rd round of cancer. And this Baked Potato Soup was her favorite.
Sadly, she lost her fight with cancer a few years later and whenever I make this soup, I smile at her memory and say a prayer for her sweet children who miss her dearly.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Loaded Potato Soup is simple and easy, but it hits the spot every time. And is made in one pot in just 30 minutes.
As creamy and decadent tasting as this hearty soup tastes, it is actually quite low in fat and calories–especially compared to Baked Potato Soups you get out like Panera’s Baked Potato Soup.
How To Make Baked Potato Soup
Easy Baked Potato Soup is so easy to make, I tend to think of it as humble. But yet the flavors in this simple soup are perfect!
Step One: Prepare Soup
- Prepare the potatoes.
- Scrub and dry russet potatoes.
- I do not peel the potatoes, if you would prefer a creamier soup, feel free to peel.
- Chop potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
- Place potatoes in large stock pan.
- Add minced onions and carrots.
- If you have picky eater, omit the minced onions and carrots and add in 1 teaspoon onion powder.
- Pour in chicken or vegetable stock and vinegar.
Step Two: Cook Potato Soup
- Bring soup to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
Step Three: Add Milk to Potato Soup
- To thicken potato soup and make this soup creamy, I add in a milk and flour mixture to the soup.
- Whisk together milk with flour until well combined.
- Once potatoes are fork tender, remove soup from heat and whisk in milk mixture.
- Return to heat and turn heat to high and whisk and cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until creamy and bubbly.
Step Four: Serve Potato Soup
- Dish out potato soup into bowls and serve with shredded cheese, crispy bacon, and chives.
Notes on 30 Minute Potato Soup
- Do not omit the vinegar in this soup or substitute white vinegar for another vinegar. That is the MAGIC ingredient in this soup–it add flavors and helps preserve the texture of the potatoes.
- I do not peel my potatoes for this soup because so many nutrients are packed in the skin. Do whatever your family prefers.
- If your kids will turn their noses up at carrots or onions, omit them (I do this many times with great success).
- Use vegetable stock to keep this soup Vegetarian.
- If you need this soup to be Gluten-Free, use a 1:1 Gluten Free Flour Mix.
- Top with bacon, cheese, green onion or serve as is–it is delicious plain.
More Delicious Homemade Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Minestrone
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Tortellini Vegetable Soup
- Cheeseburger Soup from Skinnytaste
- Southwest Turkey Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Healthier Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
In only 30 minutes, a hearty, low-fat baked potato soup comes together in one pan.
- 4 cups russet potatoes scrubbed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon carrots diced into size of rice grains (I used a handheld chopper)
- 1 tablespoon onions diced into size of rice grains
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- For serving: shredded sharp cheddar cheese and bacon I use about 2 ounces shredded cheese and 4 strips cooked bacon
Place potatoes, chicken stock, vinegar, salt, carrots, and onions into large pan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and cover, reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes.
Whisk together the milk and flour.
Remove soup from heat and whisk in milk mixture. Return to heat and turn heat to high and whisk and cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until creamy and bubbly.
Serve with shredded cheese and bacon crumbles as desired.