The comfort of classic lasagna in soup form. Lasagna Soup hits all the notes of the best lasagnas out there–spicy sausage, rich tomatoes, tender pasta, and fresh cheese. Move over lasagna, there is a new favorite in town!
My favorite soup ever has to be Lasagna Soup.
Like I have said in the past, I love Italian food. And this Lasagna soup will not disappoint–it is out of this world in flavor, extremely comforting and deceptively easy!!
Homemade Lasagna Soup
Made with Italian Sausage, sauteed vegetables, a rich tomato broth, and hearty pasta, this easy soup has all the flavors you crave in classic lasagna, just minus all the work!
How to Make Healthy Lasagna Soup
Step One: Ground Meat
- Brown Italian Sausage until just cooked through.
- Add in diced onions, carrots, and garlic and saute for 3-5 minutes.
Step Two: Simmer Lasagna Soup
- Add in stock, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings.
- Bring soup to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Step Three: Add Pasta
- Add in 1 cup pasta of choice and fresh spinach.
- Cook soup until pasta is just al dente.
Step Four: Serve Lasagna Soup
- Place fresh mozzarella cheese in serving bowls.
- Ladle soup over cheese (this helps to melt the cheese)
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.
Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
- Brown sausage over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots and saute for 5 minutes.
- Put meat mixture into crock-pot with remaining ingredients up to spinach. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
- For the last 30 minutes of cooking, turn crock-pot to high and add pasta and spinach. Serve with garnishes.
Notes on Easy Lasagna Soup
- For a smoother soup, blend the stewed tomatoes before adding to soup.
- Use chicken stock, vegetable stock, or beef stock. All work well with the flavors in Lasagna Soup.
- Use whatever Italian Sausage you like in this easy soup recipe, you can even replace sausage with ground beef if desired.
- Feel free to use frozen spinach (1 small box) in place of fresh spinach, just add with sauce and tomatoes to simmer longer.
- You can use any pasta noodle you like. I prefer to use capanelle, rotini, or elbow noodles. You can even break up large lasagna noodles into smaller pieces for this soup.
- I think ladling the soup over the cheese is genius for this soup. It is like a little buried treasure in each bite. Awesome and gooey all at once!
More Lasagna Recipes
Classic Lasagna Soup Recipe (Stove Top and Crock Pot Instructions)
A hearty soup made with all the flavors of lasagna.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 cups onion chopped
- 1 cup carrot finely chopped
- 2 Tbs garlic clove minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can Italian-style stewed tomatoes chopped
- 1 can 8oz tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup campenelle pasta or whole grain rotini or elbows
- Parmesan cheese fresh mozzarella or provolone, and fresh basil as garnishes
Stove Top Lasagna Soup
Brown sausage on medium high heat until brown and crumbly. Add the onion, garlic, and carrots and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Drain off any remaining grease, and return meat to the pan.
Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, sauce and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Add the fresh spinach and 1 cup pasta and cook until pasta is al dente (according to package directions on pasta of your choice)--about 8-10 minutes.
Ladle the soup over chunks of cubed cheese (fresh mozzarella is best, but a regular block of mozzarella or provolone works great as well.) Top with fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese.
Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
Brown sausage over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots and saute for 5 minutes.
Put meat mixture into crock-pot with remaining ingredients up to spinach. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
For the last 30 minutes of cooking, turn crock-pot to high and add pasta and spinach. Serve with garnishes.