From the spicy sausage to the flavorful broth to the tender pasta to the gooey cheese, this Lasagna Soup features everything you love about Classic Lasagna in soup form!
Have an electric pressure cooker? Try out my recipe for Instant Pot Lasagna Soup.
This recipe for Lasagna soup will not disappoint. It is incredibly flavorful, extremely comforting, and deceptively easy to make.
Instead of going through the hassle of assembling traditional lasagna, this soup recipe comes together in one pot in less than 30 minutes. Not only does that mean fewer dishes to wash, but it also means that you can put a rich, comforting meal filled with classic flavors on the table on even the busiest of nights.
Notes on Ingredients
This soup does have quite a few ingredients, but most of them are pantry staples you probably have on hand. There are a few things to note on the ingredients so that you can have the best-tasting lasagna soup.
- Sausage: Use store-bought or homemade Italian-style bulk sausage. Chicken, pork, or turkey sausage all work equally well.
- Stock: Use low-sodium store-bought or homemade chicken stock or vegetable broth.
- Pasta: You can use any pasta noodle you like. I prefer to use lasagna noodles broken into 1 to 2-inch pieces, but corkscrew, rotini, or elbow noodles work just as well.
- Spaghetti Sauce: While you can use plain canned tomato sauce, I HIGHLY suggest using a jarred marinara, spaghetti sauce, or homemade spaghetti sauce, as those both lend so much more flavor to the soup.
- Stewed Tomatoes: Italian-style stewed tomatoes are highly seasoned and add great flavor to the soup. Diced tomatoes can be used if that is all you have on hand.
- Spinach: Use fresh baby spinach or baby kale, or omit the greens altogether if desired.
- Cheese: Fresh mozzarella and freshly grated parmesan both go a long way to making this soup feel spectacular. However, feel free to use shredded Mozzarella cheese or omit the cheese altogether, for a dairy-free version.
How to Make Lasagna Soup
- Brown Italian sausage over medium-high heat in a large heavy-bottomed stock pan until just cooked through.
- Add in diced onions, carrots, and garlic and saute for 3 to 5 minutes until the onions begin to soften.
- At this point, you can drain off excess grease if needed. This will depend on the fat content of the sausage you use for this recipe.
- Add in stock, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasonings.
- Bring soup to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, allowing the broth to develop flavor and the carrots to soften.
- Add in the pasta and cook soup until the noodles are soft, with a bit of chew left.
- Finally, stir in the spinach just to wilt and heat through.
To serve Lasagna Soup, top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and shredded mozzarella. Alternatively, take this soup over the top by placing cubed fresh mozzarella at the bottom of each serving bowl then ladle the soup over the cheese. The hot soup will melt the cheese and each bite will be layered with a good amount of gooey cheese!
To round out dinner, serve Lasagna Soup with Homemade Garlic Toast and a Tossed Greek Salad for a delicious, cozy family meal.
More Hearty Soup Recipes
- Tortellini Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
If you tried this recipe for Lasagna Soup, be sure to leave a comment and review below.
- 1 pound raw ground Italian sausage
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5oz) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 6 lasagna noodles, broken into 1 to 2 inch pieces regular not oven-ready noodles
- 3-4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 ounces fresh or cubed mozzarella cheese for serving
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Brown the sausage on medium-high heat in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan until browned through, breaking into small pieces as the sausage cooks. Add the onion, garlic, and carrots and continue to cook for 3- 5 minutes or until the onions begin to soften. Drain off any remaining grease, and return the meat to the pan.
- Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and spices to the sausage mixture and bring to a boil. Once bubbling, reduce the heat to a medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the pasta is nearly tender. Stir in the spinach and cook for an additional minute or two to wilt. Turn off the heat.
- Ladle the soup over chunks of cubed cheese and then top with grated Parmesan cheese, as desired.
This was yummy. I added fresh mushrooms since I needed to use them before they spoiled.I am going to serve this for company next week!
You are now my go to person for recipes👍.
That means so much to me Katie! I know your company will enjoy this soup!
Whole family loves this - and all your other recipes are becoming our go-to favorites!
I love hearing that! Thank you for sharing!
This was great! I loved it! Thank you for sharing.
Love this quick easy recipe!
This lasagna soup is a huge hit with my friends and family!!
I love hearing that Tricia! Thanks for sharing.
Yummy! This is so delicious and tasty! My family loves this recipe! I can't wait to make this again soon!
I am so happy to hear your family enjoyed this soup Beth!