The comfort of classic lasagna in soup form. This soup hits all the notes of the best lasagnas out there–spicy sausage, rich tomatoes, tender pasta, and fresh cheese. Move over lasagna, there is a new favorite in town!
Are you kidding me?
I have returned back home from my very cold but enjoyable time visiting with my family up north to what I was hoping would be sunny and warm weather. I mean I heard they had absolutely gorgeous weather while I was out of town experiencing some snow and rain….Warm and sunny is NOT what I am getting. Instead nasty rain storms and much cooler temperatures.
To me, rain and cooler temperatures is the perfect time to cozy up with a warm bowl of soup. So while I was hoping to fire up the grill today, it appears the weather dictates that a soup is what is in order for the day. And because I am exhausted from my trip, I need something easy.
Which made me think of my favorite soup. And yes it is associated with lasagna again!! Like I said, I love Italian food. And this Lasagna soup will not disappoint–it is out of this world and deceptively easy!! I have even included directions for the crock-pot if desired.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 cups onion chopped
- 1 cup carrot finely chopped
- 2 Tbs garlic clove minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can Italian-style stewed tomatoes chopped
- 1 can 8oz tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup campenelle pasta or whole grain rotini or elbows
- Parmesan cheese fresh mozzarella or provolone, and fresh basil as garnishes
Brown sausage on medium high heat until brown and crumbly. Add the onion, garlic, and carrots and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Drain off any remaining grease and add the chicken broth, tomatoes, sauce and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add the fresh spinach and 1 cup
pasta and cook until pasta is al dente (according to package directions on pasta of your choice).
Ladle the soup over chunks of cubed cheese (fresh mozzarella is best, but a regular block of mozzarella or provolone works great as well.) Top with fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese. And then savor!!!
Crock-pot directions: Brown sausage over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes. Put meat mixture into crock-pot with remaining ingredients up to spinach. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. For the last 30 minutes of cooking, turn crock-pot to high and add pasta and spinach. Serve with garnishes.
- For a smoother soup, blend the stewed tomatoes before adding to soup.
- I use a natural ground pork and add 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp garlic, 1 tsp onion powder, and 1 tsp pepper in place of Italian sausage. Use whatever your favorite sausage or ground meat is. There are several on the market without nitrates or msg added.
- Feel free to use frozen spinach (1 small box) in place of fresh spinach, just add with sauce and tomatoes to simmer longer.
- I think ladling the soup over the cheese is genius for this soup. It is like a little buried treasure in each bite. Awesome and gooey all at once!
Now grab a spoon and warm up (or just warm your soul, if the weather is already warm!)