You won't believe how delicious this simple Avocado Chickpea Salad is! Made with chickpeas, avocados, and lime juice, this healthy recipe comes together with only 3 key ingredients and is ready in less than 10 minutes.
My favorite way to serve this Avocado Chickpea Salad is between two slices of Homemade Whole Wheat Bread, topped with fresh tomato slices and lettuce, for a hearty, nutrient-dense, plant-based lunch.
My all-time favorite sandwich is this Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich.
This easy recipe is satisfying, full of healthy fats, fiber, protein, and most importantly FLAVOR.
Instead of mayonnaise, mashed avocados stand-in to give this recipe its creaminess. And in place of tuna, chicken, or eggs, chickpeas are added for texture and protein. It may sound like an odd combo, but it works! The chickpeas are hearty and chewy, the avocado is creamy and satisfying, and the combination is satisfying.
Whether strictly plant-based, or just looking for more delicious healthy recipes, you need to add this Avocado Chickpea Salad to your menu STAT!
3 Key Ingredients
- Avocado--Use a ripe avocado that is soft so it will mash easily. The mashed avocado is the perfect base for this Chickpea Sandwich. It holds the filling together while adding richness. The healthy fats will also help you to feel satisfied for hours.
- Chickpeas--Chickpeas are amazing little legumes. They add substance and texture that mimics the chew factor of meat. They are also full of fiber and protein which will keep you full long after eating this sandwich.
- Lime Juice--Fresh lime juice is key to this recipe. It complements the avocado perfectly and adds just the right amount of freshness to the chickpea salad. You can use fresh lemon juice in place of lime juice, but I prefer the flavor of lime juice. But whether using lime or lemon juice, just be sure it is fresh--this is NOT the time for bottled juice.
How to Make Avocado Chickpea Salad
- The first step is to smash the avocado. Cut the avocado open lengthwise. Remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh of the avocado and place it into a bowl. Add the salt and lime juice. Using a fork or potato masher, mash until smooth and creamy. I really like using a potato masher as it works quickly and is the perfect tool to smash the chickpeas when added.
- Add in the chickpeas and mix together, mashing up to desired consistency. You can leave them intact or mash until nearly smooth--the choice is completely up to you and how you prefer the texture of your sandwich filling. Taste and add more salt if needed. Mix in cilantro if using.
- Serve Avocado Chickpea Salad as a sandwich filling, in a tortilla or lettuce as a wrap, or in a hollowed-out avocado.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Avocado Chickpea Salad is BEST served immediately but can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Just keep in mind that the avocado may turn brown as it sits in the refrigerator.
- This recipe makes enough filling for 4 hearty sandwiches. Feel free to cut the recipe in half or double as desired.
- Looking to add crunch? Add ¼ cup of minced onion or minced celery to this sandwich spread for more texture.
- Don't like cilantro? Omit it! There will still be PLENTY of flavor!
- Try topping your Chickpea Avocado Sandwich with Pickled Red Onions for crunch and flair.
More Plant-Based Favorites
- Chickpea Tikka Masala
- Vegetarian Enchiladas
- Kale and Chickpea Pasta
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Instant Pot Minestrone
If you enjoyed this simple recipe for Avocado Chickpea Salad, please be sure to leave a comment and review below.
Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lime juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas 1 (15oz) can, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro optional
- Cut the avocado open lengthwise. Remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh of the avocado and place into a bowl. Add the salt and lime juice. Using a fork or potato masher, mash until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the chickpeas and mix together, mashing up to desired consistency. Taste and add more salt if needed. Mix in cilantro if using.
- Serve immediately on bread, in hollowed out avocado, in a lettuce wrap, tortilla wrap or alone.