You won’t believe how delicious this simple Avocado Chickpea Salad is! Made with chickpeas, avocados, and lime juice, this simple salad is perfect served as a Chickpea Salad Sandwich or alone!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
My friend recently set out on a strict plant based diet.
And she turned to me for recipes. As much as I eat a varied diet that include meat and dairy, I also love recipes that are completely plant based and had several recipes to share with her.
The first one was this simple Chickpea Salad Sandwich. She, like all of us, needed EASY recipes. And ones that are satisfying and full of flavor. This avocado chickpea salad delivers. It was inspired by my recipe for Avocado Tuna Salad. But let me be honest, this chickpea version is MY FAVORITE!
Instead of mayonnaise, mashed avocados stand in to give this recipe it’s creaminess. And in place of tuna (or chicken or eggs), chickpeas are added for texture and protein. It may sound like an odd combo, but it works! The chickpeas are hearty and chewy, the avocado is creamy and satisfying, and the combination is satisfying.
This recipe for smashed chickpea salad comes together in minutes and makes an absolute incredible filling for a sandwich or wrap. It is full of healthy fats, fiber, protein, and flavor! Whether strictly plant based, or just looking for more delicious healthy recipes, you need to add this Avocado Chickpea Salad to your menu STAT!
There are only 3 key ingredients in this recipe.
- Avocado–Use a ripe avocado that is soft so it will mash easily. The mashed avocado is the perfect base to this Chickpea Sandwich. It holds the filling together, while adding richness. The healthy fats will also help you to feel satisfied for hours.
- Chickpeas–Chickpeas are amazing little legumes. They add substance and texture that mimics the chew factor of meat. They are also full of fiber and protein which will keep you full long after eating this sandwich.
- Lime Juice–Fresh lime juice is key to this recipe. It compliments the avocado perfectly and adds just the right amount of freshness to the chickpea salad. You can use fresh lemon juice in place of lime juice, but I prefer the flavor of the lime juice. But whether using lime or lemon juice, just be sure it is fresh–this is NOT the time for bottled juice.
I also add in salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder for flavor. If I have fresh cilantro, I throw that in as well for freshness, but that is optional.
How to Make Smashed Chickpea Salad
It really only takes a few minutes and a couple steps to making an absolutely delicious Avocado Chickpea Salad.
The first step is to smash the avocado. Cut the avocado open lengthwise. Remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh of the avocado and place in bowl. Add the salt and lime juice. Using a fork or potato masher, mash until smooth and creamy. I really like using a potato masher as it works quickly and is the perfect tool to smash the chickpeas when added.
Add in the chickpeas and mix together, mashing up to desired consistency. You can leave them intact or mash until nearly smooth–the choice is completely up to you and how you prefer the texture of your sandwich filling. Taste and add more salt if needed. Mix in cilantro if using.
Serve this Avocado Chickpea Salad as a sandwich filling, in a tortilla or lettuce as a wrap or in a hollowed out avocado.
More Recipes Featuring Chickpeas
Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas 1 (15oz) can, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro optional
- Cut the avocado open lengthwise. Remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh of the avocado and place in bowl. Add the salt and lime juice. Using a fork or potato masher, mash until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the chickpeas and mix together, mashing up to desired consistency. Taste and add more salt if needed. Mix in cilantro if using.
- Serve immediately on bread, in hollowed out avocado, in a lettuce wrap, tortilla wrap or alone.
- This salad can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours, but keep in mind that the avocado may turn brown as it sits in the refrigerator. It is best to serve immediately.
- This recipe can be cut in half or doubled easily.
- Be sure your avocados are ripe for a creamy Chickpea Salad.
- Feel free to add minced onion or minced celery to this sandwich spread for more texture.