Made with sweet potatoes, black beans, and quinoa, this Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is hearty, healthy, and ready in under 30 minutes.
This vegan dinner recipe is a simple, one-pot recipe that delivers a flavorful, nutrient-dense meal that appeals to vegetarians and carnivores alike.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is one of my go-to recipes when I am craving a healthy, hearty dinner that can be on the table fast! And there are numerous reasons you need to give this simple vegetarian chili a try!
- Flavorful: From the earthy black beans to the sweetness of the sweet potatoes to the richly spiced tomato sauce, this Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili packs a punch of flavor.
- Minimal Cost: This chili is a budget-friendly recipe that uses pantry staples in a way that brings out the best of their flavor.
- Fast: Unlike most recipes for chili, Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is a 30-minute dinner recipe, yet the flavor is rich and deep. Perfect for any night of the week.
- Nutrient-Dense: This chili is filled with fiber, vitamin A, and plant protein. Filling you up with all the good things!
- Allergy-Friendly: This recipe for Sweet Potato Chili is a meatless, vegan-friendly, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and egg-free recipe. Yet it satisfies even carnivores.
Notes on Ingredients
- Sweet Potatoes: Use peeled, cubed, raw sweet potatoes, not frozen or pre-cooked sweet potatoes.
- Black Beans: While I love pairing black beans and sweet potatoes together, you can use pinto beans or red beans in this Sweet Potato Chili if desired.
- Quinoa: Any variety of dry quinoa will work in this chili recipe. Be sure to rinse the quinoa really well in a fine-mesh strainer, which will remove the quinoa's natural coating. If you don't rinse the quinoa, the chili will likely taste bitter.
- Tomatoes: If you or your family has texture issues with diced tomatoes, blend the tomatoes before adding them to the chili. You can also use a 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes in place of diced tomatoes.
- Broth: Use either low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken stock.
- Spices: This chili is perfectly spiced with a combination of chili spices made with cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and a touch of cayenne.
How to Make Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed skillet, over medium heat.
- Add the onion to the heated oil and saute for 3-5 minutes or until the onions are just beginning to soften.
- Once the onions are softened, add in the garlic and toast for just 30-60 seconds.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes, seasonings, and drained beans to the pot.
- Add the quinoa, broth, and tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the chili is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Sweet Potato Chili can be served plain or with a side of homemade biscuits, Sweet Potato Biscuits, or cornbread. And just like any recipe for chili, you can't go wrong with adding toppings. My favorite additions are diced avocado and chopped cilantro. If you are not vegan or dairy-free, shredded cheese and/or sour cream are also delicious options.
Slow Cooker Instructions
While you can whip up Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili in just one pot in less than 30 minutes, you can also opt to use the slow cooker to prepare this recipe. This is a great option for when you want to come home to dinner waiting for you.
- Saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil in a small non-stick skillet for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic mixture to the slow cooker, along with the remaining ingredients to the crockpot, and mix well to incorporate.
- Cook for 8 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high.
More Sweet Potato Dinner Recipes
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
- Chicken and Sweet Potato Skillet
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Tacos
Need more inspiration for planning meals that your family will love? Sign up for my FREE Meal Plans and each week you will get a meal plan with a shopping list.
If you enjoyed this recipe for Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cubed into 1-inch chunks
- 2 (15-oz) cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 (15-oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 small pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed and drained
- minced cilantro, diced avocado, sour cream, etc for serving
- In a large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Once the oil is heated, add in the diced onion and saute for 3-5 minutes until the onion is softened. Add in the garlic and saute for 30-60 seconds, just to toast.
- Stir the broth, cubed sweet potato, black beans, tomatoes, and seasonings into the pan.
- Place the quinoa into a fine-mesh strainer and rinse it well under running water. Drain off excess water and then add to chili, stirring to incorporate.
- Turn the heat to high heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 25-30 minutes, uncovered, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Serve with minced cilantro, avocado, sour cream, or cheese as desired.
This recipe was originally shared in 2016 but was updated in 2022 with a video and new photos.