Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili: This vegetarian chili is made with chunks of sweet potatoes, black beans, and quinoa for a hearty, protein-rich, vegan chili recipe.
This Sweet Potato Chili is one of my go-to, must make recipes.
This Vegetarian Chili is incredibly hearty and filling, and full of southwestern flavors, and sweet potatoes and black beans together are a match made in heaven.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
This Sweet Potato Black Bean Quinoa Chili is the remedy for a blustery day. It is the remedy for a long day. It is the remedy for a bad day.
Ready in 30 minutes and costing only pennies per serving to make, this budget friendly vegan chili recipe is one also full of protein and fiber.
Too bad it doesn’t solve the issue of world peace.
Sigh. I can’t win them all.
But I will be honest, this Sweet Potato Chili DOES gives me peace of mind. It is a healthy, delicious dinner that fills the family up and leaves smiles on their faces with little effort.
So let’s get to business.
Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili Recipe
Step One: Saute Veggies
- Heat one tablespoon oil in a dutch oven or heavy bottomed skillet, over medium heat.
- Add in one small chopped onion and 3 cloves minced garlic.
- Saute for 3-5 minutes or until onions are just beginning to soften.
Step Two: Simmer Sweet Potato Chili
- Add in vegetable or chicken stock, beans, quinoa, seasonings and diced tomatoes to dutch oven.
- Bring chili to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 25 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
Step Three: Serve Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- This Vegan chili is delicious served plain or take it really make this over the top by topping with diced avocado, corn chips, and/or chopped cilantro.
- If you are not vegan, top Sweet Potato Chili with shredded cheese and/0r sour cream.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili Instructions
- Saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil in small non-stick skillet for 3-5 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic mixture to slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients to crock-pot and mix well.
- Set for 8 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high.
Freezing Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili.
Substitutions for Black Bean Chili
- Don’t like garlic? Just omit it from this Chili recipe, or use garlic powder for a milder taste.
- If you don’t want to mess with chopping an onion, use 2 teaspoons onion powder instead of fresh onion.
- Instead of canned beans, you can use cooked dried beans for this Black Bean Chili Recipe. You can also use pinto beans in place of black beans if desired.
- I have used white quinoa, tri-color quinoa, and red quinoa with success in this Quinoa Chili.
- If you or your family has texture issues with diced tomatoes, blend the tomatoes before adding to the chili. You can also use a 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes in place of diced tomatoes.
Sweet Potato Recipes
- Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
- Baked Sweet Potato Nachos with Avocado Cilantro Cream (Gluten-Free)
- Easy Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Healthy Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
Black Bean Chili with Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Heat oil over medium heat in large stock pan or dutch oven.
- Saute onion and garlic for 3- 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients into pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Top with any desired toppings.