This Spinach Bacon Salad is made with tender spinach, hard-boiled eggs, crispy bacon, and a warm bacon dressing. It is an easy, yet impressive, salad recipe.
Warm Bacon Spinach Salad
Fresh spinach needs dressed up to be something memorable.
Made with rich hard-boiled eggs, crispy bacon, sharp picked onions, and a warm salty dressing, this recipe for Spinach Bacon Salad is CERTAINLY memorable.
This salad is full of texture from the crispy bacon to the creamy eggs. It is rich, yet fresh and balanced--truly one delicious bite!
Notes on Ingredients
- Spinach: Spinach is the perfect base as it can stand up to other ingredients in the salad. Use fresh spinach that has been washed and dried well and remove the stems if large and woody.
- Hard-Boiled Eggs: Hard-boiled eggs are a key component for a Bacon Spinach Salad, as the richness and creaminess of the eggs will balance out salad. I rely on my Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs to make perfect hard-boiled eggs every time. But don't worry, I have included for directions for preparing hard boiled eggs on the stove as well.
- Bacon: This is one recipe that you do not want to use lean turkey or chicken bacon. Pork bacon will produce the drippings needed to make the warm bacon dressing.
- Warm Bacon Dressing: Instead of oil, this dressing uses bacon drippings. The drippings add saltiness and richness to the dressing. It is paired with apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and mustard to make a balanced dressing.
- Red Onions: To add sharpness that helps cut through the richness of the salad, I love adding red onions or pickled onions. Feel free to omit.
- Mushrooms (Optional): Sliced button mushrooms are traditional on classic spinach bacon salads, however, I don't care for the texture of the mushrooms when they absorb the warm dressing. Feel free to add them if desired.
How to Make Spinach Bacon Salad
- Begin this recipe by prepare hard-boiled eggs using my recipe for Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs or on the stovetop.
- Once the eggs have been prepared and chilled in an ice bath, begin to assemble the salad.
- Soak the sliced red onions, if using, in water and allow them to soak for 5-10 minutes while preparing the bacon. This will help to down their flavor so they don't overwhelm the salad.
- Place the bacon in a dry skillet over medium-high heat and pan-fry the bacon until it is nice and crispy. Once the bacon is crispy, remove it from the frying pan and place it on paper towel-lined plate to absorb the excess grease. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease to use for the Warm Bacon Dressing. Alternatively, you can bake the bacon, just be sure to still reserve 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- While the bacon grease is still warm, add in mustard, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and pepper and whisk well. Taste and season with additional salt if needed.
- To assemble the salad, drain the onions, peel and slice the eggs, and crumble the bacon. Toss with the spinach and then add the Warm Bacon Dressing to the salad, while still warm and toss. This will slightly wilt the spinach.
- Serve immediately.
Preparing In Advance
Do not combine this salad until immediately before serving for best results.
However, you can prepare the components up to 3 days in advance to get a jump start on this salad.
- Bake or pan fry the bacon and reserve the bacon grease. Once cooled. Store the bacon grease and bacon in the refrigerator in airtight containers.
- Hard-boil the eggs up to 3 days in advance. Wait to peel and slice the eggs until the day of preparation.
- Quick pickle the onions and store in the refrigerator.
- When ready to prepare the salad, toss together the spinach, crumbled bacon, and sliced eggs together. Add onions if using.
- To prepare the dressing, heat the reserved drippings in the microwave in a heat-safe container until liquid.
- Whisk together the bacon grease with the vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, and pepper. Pour over salad and toss together and then serve immediately.
More Salad Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe for Spinach Bacon Salad, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Spinach Bacon Salad
- 8 ounces spinach washed and dried
- 5 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 3 eggs
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
Warm Bacon Dressing
- 1 tablespoon warm bacon grease reserved from cooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Prepare hard-boiled eggs according to the directions below. While the eggs are cooking, place the sliced red onion in a small bowl and cover with cold water and allow to soak while the remainder of the salad is being prepared.
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat. Place the bacon in the pan and pan-fry for 3-4 minutes per side, or until bacon is crispy. Remove bacon from the frying pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon grease for the dressing.
- To prepare the dressing, whisk together the warm bacon grease, vinegar, mustard maple syrup, and pepper together. Taste and add salt if needed.
- To prepare the salad, drain off water from red onions, peel and slice the hard-boiled eggs, and crumble the bacon into bite-size pieces. Toss the spinach with the bacon, onions, and eggs. Toss with the warm dressing and serve immediately.
- Place 3 eggs into a saucepan and cover with water. Turn the heat to high and allow the water to come to a rapid boil. Once the water has reached a rapid boil, cover, turn the heat to low, and cook for 1 minute. Remove the saucepan from heat and leave covered for 14 minutes. After 14 minutes, transfer the eggs to an ice bath to chill completely. Alternatively, pour 1 cup of cold water into the inner pot of a 6-quart Instant Pot, or 1.5 cups of cold water into the inner pot of an 8-quart Instant Pot. Place a trivet or egg rack into the inner pot and add the eggs to the rack. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. After the cooking time has elapsed, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then do a quick release of any remaining pressure. Place the eggs into an ice bath for 5 minutes, or until chilled.