New York Strip Roast With Brandy Au Jus: Move aside prime rib, this is a lighter take on a Steakhouse favorite that is more delicious than the original! Step by step instructions on how to make the most flavorful NY Roast you have ever had.
My husband’s favorite tradition at the holidays is Christmas Dinner, when I make a New York Strip Roast.
For many years, my parents would make Prime Rib Roast from Self Proclaimed Foodie. and we all loved it. However, I wanted a lighter version of this classic Christmas Recipe.
So I traded in the decadent prime rib for a New York Roast.
New York Strip Roast
Did you know a New York Strip is actually a fairly lean cut of meat?
Did you know it can be seasoned and prepared in same fashion that a Prime Rib Roast is made?
AND NOW WE HAVE A NEW TRADITION. In fact my husband says he loves my New York Strip Roast as much as Prime Rib–there is no better compliment.
Try this roast for yourself–I think you will start a new holiday tradition.
How to Make Perfect Strip Loin Roast
Step One: Season the meat
- Give your little roast a massage of fresh chopped herbs, garlic, salt and pepper. And then let rest as long as possible in the fridge (12-48 hours.)
Step Two: Bring the Roast to room temperature
- Allow the meat to sit on the counter for at least 1 hour.
- Leaving the meat at room temperature will allow for more even cooking of the NY roast.
Step Three: Au Jus
- Brandy Au Jus could not be easier. In a saucepan bring beef stock, a few springs of thyme, a few garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and a generous splash of brandy to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour at a very low heat.
Step Four: Roast the Roast
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Place a digital thermometer in the center of the NY roast and place into an oven that is set to 450 and roast for 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 350 degrees and roast until desired temperature is reached.
How long should you cook your New York Roast?
- Rare: 120 degrees
- Medium-Rare: 130 degrees
- Medium: 140 degrees
- Well Done: buy a cheaper cut of meat and call it a pot roast!!
You need to take your NY Strip out of the oven when it is 10 degrees BELOW the temperature. It will raise another 10 degrees as it rests.
Take Out Roast at
- Rare: 110 degrees
- Medium-Rare: 120 degrees
- Medium: 130 degrees
Step 5: Rest the Strip Roast
It needs a nap…..okay, not really, but it does need a chance to let the juices redistribute through the meat. This step is crucial.
- Rest it for at least 20 minutes or up to 60 minutes.
Step 6: Serve the Roast with Au Jus and Enjoy your family.
More Holiday Recipes
- Easy Skinny Overnight Cinnamon Rolls
- Slow Cooker Mulled Cranberry Apple Cider
- Roast Turkey
- The Best Cut Out Sugar Cookie Recipe
The Best New York Strip Roast Recipe
New York Strip Roast
- 1 4 pound New York Strip Roast I do 2.5 pounds myself
- 10 cloves of garlic divided
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme leaves divided
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup Brandy
24 to 48 hours before serving
- With machine running, drop 6 garlic cloves into processor; blend until finely chopped. Add 2 tablespoons thyme leaves, oil, 4 tablespoons salt and 2 tablespoons pepper and process until paste forms.
- Pat meat dry with paper towels. Rub meat all over with herb paste--there may be some of the rub left over. Cover; chill at least 12 hours and up to 48 hours.
Roast the New York Strip Roast
- Allow meat to come to room temperature while oven heats to 450.
- Place meat, fat side up, on rack in roasting pan.
- Roast meat 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Roast meat until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat registers 120°F for medium-rare, about 35 minutes (or 130°F for medium, about 40 minutes).
- Remove from oven; let stand 20-30 minutes. The temperature should rise about 10 degrees as the meat rests.
- Serve with au jus on the side for dipping.
For Brandy Au Jus
- Prepare the aus jus by bringing the beef stock, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons pepper, 4 fresh thyme stems, 4 cloves of peeled garlic and the brandy to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer for 30 minutes to one hour.
TO MAKE NY Strip Roast , YOU MAY NEED
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!