This simple Strawberry Spinach Salad is one of the BEST salad recipes! Made with fresh spinach, sweet, juicy strawberries, toasted almonds, salty feta cheese, and a creamy homemade poppy seed dressing, this salad is one everyone loves.
Spinach Salad with strawberries is the perfect spring salad. Not only are the flavors a perfect balance between sweet, savory, and salty, this salad has a gorgeous presentation. It is perfect for an elegant brunch, served alongside Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole and French Toast Casserole. Or serve with Quiche Lorraine or Easy Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu for light dinner.
Bursting with fresh, sweet strawberries and tender spinach, this simple spring salad is elevated with toasted almonds, mild shallots, salty feta cheese, and a creamy, dreamy Poppyseed Dressing.
This strawberry salad is light, fresh, bright, and oh so tasty.
While it is the perfect salad to include at brunches and bridal or baby showers, it also makes a perfect side salad for any family meal.
- Spinach: Baby spinach is best for this salad. It is tender and not bitter, as mature spinach. Most spinach purchased in bags at the grocery store is baby spinach. If you purchase spinach from the bulk bin, be sure to trim off the longer stems, to keep this salad from being bitter. Feel free to use spring greens in place of spinach, if desired.
- Strawberries: Fresh, juicy strawberries are a must obviously. Be sure your strawberries are fully ripe for the best flavor.
- Shallots: Shallots are optional, but the mild sharpness they provide to the salad is a great contrast to the sweet dressing and strawberries.
- Feta: Sharp, salty feta adds so much flavor to this salad. Crumbled goat cheese is another option to use in place of crumbled feta cheese.
- Sliced Almonds: Almonds add a nice crunch to this simple salad. It is best to toast the almonds to bring out their flavor. Chopped walnuts or pecans make a great substitute for almonds.
- Poppyseed Dressing: You can purchase your favorite poppyseed dressing, but this homemade dressing is simple to make and is so much fresher tasting. If you don’t care for poppyseed dressing, Raspberry Dressing or Balsamic Vinaigrette make great substitutes.
How To Make Strawberry Spinach Salad
Strawberry salad is incredibly simple to prepare. While the ingredients can be prepped up to 24 hours in advance, it is best to keep the components separate until right before serving. This keeps the salad from getting wilted and the nuts crunchy.
I find it is best to serve the dressing, almonds, and feta on the side–so everyone can prepare this salad how they desire. This is is especially important if serving anyone with a nut allergy!
- Prepare Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing by whisking together the ingredients.
- Slice strawberries into slices.
- Slice shallot into thin rings.
- Toast nut by placing nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, tossing every 30 seconds. When you smell the nuts, they will be ready!
- Right before serving, toss together spinach, shallots, and strawberries.
- Sprinkle with almonds and feta cheese.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine.
Pair Strawberry Spinach Salad With
I love this salad for a quick lunch, spring brunch or shower, Easter morning, or to pair with dinner. Some of my favorite dishes to serve this Strawberry Salad with include:
- Quiche Lorraine
- Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Spinach Frittata
- Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Easy Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- Asparagus Frittata
- Healthy Pasta Primavera
I think you will find this easy strawberry salad is perfect for gatherings, holidays, and family meals. It is a true winner.
Strawberry Spinach Salad
Strawberry Spinach Salad
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 1 cup ripe strawberries thinly sliced
- 1 shallot sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbled
Creamy Poppyseed Dressing
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- 1 teaspoon grated shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, tossing every 30 seconds. When you smell the nuts, remove from the heat immediately, so you do not burn the nuts.
- Thinly slice strawberries and shallots.
- Toss spinach with strawberries and shallot. Crumble feta evenly over salad. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- Toss salad with 1/4 cup dressing right before serving and serve additional dressing on the side.
- Whisk together yogurt, mustard, poppy seeds, grated shallot, champagne vinegar, honey, and salt together until well combined.
- Feel free to use pecans or walnut in place of almonds.
- Feel free to use spring greens in place of baby spinach.
- Preparing in advance: The ingredients can be prepped up to 24 hours in advance. However, it is best to keep the components separate until right before serving. This keeps the salad from getting wilted and the nuts crunchy.
- Serving the Salad: I find it is best to serve the dressing, almonds, and feta on the side--so everyone can prepare this salad how they desire. This is is especially important if serving anyone with a nut allergy!