Oven Roasted Broccoli is the BEST way to eat broccoli!! Fresh broccoli is roasted until crispy and nutty then finished with Parmesan and fresh lemon for an amazing and easy side dish.
The only vegetable my son loves is broccoli.
So we eat A LOT of broccoli. And while I love steamed broccoli, there is NOTHING better than roasted broccoli.
Oven Roasted Broccoli
By baking broccoli until crispy and crunchy, broccoli takes on a nutty flavor, broccoli becomes absolutely addictive.
It is incredibly simple to just roast broccoli and takes a simple vegetable and turns it into something incredibly delicious. BUT I strongly suggest you take an extra step and finish this Roasted Broccoli with freshly grated Parmesan and fresh lemon.
Because then you have the BEST broccoli ever. And in just a few steps with a few simple ingredients.
How To Roast Broccoli
Step One: Prepare Fresh Broccoli
- Cut off the large stalk of the fresh broccoli (shred the stalk to use in salads or Veggie Eggrolls.)
- Cut each the broccoli into small florets–about 1-2 inches each.
*It is important to note that this recipe works with FRESH broccoli, not frozen broccoli.
Step Two: Season Broccoli
- Place broccoli on large rimmed cutting sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Toss to evenly coat broccoli and then spread evenly out on baking sheet. Be sure to spread out evenly giving the broccoli room to roast. If pan is crowded the broccoli will only steam and not get caramelized.
Step Three: Roast Broccoli
- Roast broccoli at high temperature, turning once.
- Once broccoli florets have browned, and stalks are tender, remove from oven.
Step Four: Flavor Broccoli
- Once broccoli is roasted, grate fresh Parmesan cheese generously over roasted broccoli.
- Squeeze with fresh lemon juice to brighten the flavors even more.
A Few Tips:
- I use my homemade produce wash to clean the broccoli heads from the grocery store. And then I save the stalks to use in Egg Rolls or Potstickers.
- You can also use a bag of pre-cut broccoli florets from your produce section to roast.
- Feel free to omit Parmesan for a Vegan/Dairy-Free Side Dish.
- If you want to reheat leftover roasted broccoli, I suggest heating under a heated broiler for 2-3 minutes until warmed through. It will not taste as good if reheated in the microwave.
- Do not use jarred lemon juice for this recipe, as the taste will not be the same.
More Vegetable Side Dishes
Oven Roasted Broccoli
- 1 head broccoli trimmed into 1 inch florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Trim broccoli into 1 to 2 inch florets, removing most of the stalk.
- Place florets onto rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat and then spread broccoli out evenly on sheet pan--leaving room around each floret so broccoli can roast, not steam.
- Roast for 20 minutes and then flip broccoli and roast for another 10-15 minutes or until broccoli is browned and tender.
- Finish by topping broccoli with freshly grated Parmesan and fresh lemon juice.
- These measurements are based on one large head of broccoli (which is about 4 cups.)
- Use good quality olive oil, freshly grated Parmesan, and fresh lemon juice for the best flavor.
- Leave off Parmesan for a vegan side dish.