Grilled Panzanella Salad is a perfect family meal for the for the warmer months! Made with grilled veggies, hearty bread, chicken sausage, and a delicious vinaigrette, this easy Panzanella Salad with Chicken Sausage will fill your family up without weighing them down!
The recipe for Grilled Panzanella Salad with Chicken Sausage is by far one of my favorite recipes.
This grilled salad is easy to make, low fat, high protein, and utterly satisfying. Plus, my entire family devours this salad when it is placed on the dinner table and that just makes this Mom happy!
Grilled Panzanella Salad
Unlike a traditional Panzanella salad that is made with stale bread and rarely features lettuce, this grilled salad is made with bread that has been grilled, along with freshly grilled vegetables. I also add in lettuce to bulk up this salad.
Ingredients for Grilled Salad
- romaine lettuce
- hearty bread–like Italian Bread
- zucchini–or yellow squash
- tomatoes–cherry, grape, or diced vine-ripened tomatoes
- sweet bell peppers–fabulous grilled or diced
- sweet onions–feel free to omit if you don’t care of onions
- sausage (optional)–adding a mild Italian or Feta Chicken sausage is a fabulous way to add protein and bulk to this panzanella salad
How To Make Grilled Panzanella
Step One: Preheat Grill
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Step Two: Prepare Vegetables
- Wash and dry romaine lettuce. Cut head of lettuce in half.
- Wash peppers and cut in half, remove seeds and ribs.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Cut onion in large slices.
- Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Step Three: Prepare Bread
- Slice bread into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Lightly brush with olive oil.
Step Four: Grill Salad Ingredients
- Place sausage, peppers, zucchini, and onions on the main part of the grill. Add the bread slices to the top rack of the grill.
- Cover and grill for 3-4 minutes. Open grill and flip the veggies, sausage and bread.
- Cover and grill for another minute or two and then remove bread slices.
- Allow vegetables and chicken sausage to finish grilling, for about another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove vegetables and sausage from the grill.
- If desired, grill the halved romaine lettuce head for 2-3 minutes. This step is optional, but if you would like a smoky char to your lettuce it is a great tip to grill your lettuce as well.
Step Five: Prepare Panzanella Salad Dressing
- Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together all the ingredients.
Step Six: Toss Salad
- Dice up grilled sausage, veggies, bread, and romaine lettuce into bite size pieces.
- Slice tomatoes and add to grilled salad ingredients.
- Toss with viniagrette and freshly grated Parmesan, if desired.
- Serve this grilled panzanella immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna
- Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
- Grilled French Fries
- Grilled Peaches
- Grilled Chicken Kabobs with Jerk Seasoning
Grilled Panzanella Recipe
Grilled Panzanella Salad
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp oregano dried
For Panzanella Salad
- 10 ounces Chicken Sausages
- 1 cup sweet mini peppers
- 1 pint grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 8 oz Italian Bread
- 1 large head of romaine
- 4 small zucchini
- 1 sweet onion optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each of kosher salt and pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving optional
- Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking all the ingredients together, until well combined and set to the side.
Grilled Panzanella Salad
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Throw sausage on grill. Slice lettuce in half, leaving the head of lettuce in tack. Season lettuce, peppers, and bread with a drizzle of of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place all veggies and slices of bread on grill. Close lid on grill and leave for 5 minutes. Flip veggies and bread and grill for another 3-4 minutes or until bread is toasted and veggies and sausages have nice grill marks evenly.
- Prepare vegetables by cutting head of lettuce in half, peppers in half, zucchini in half lengthwise and onion in large slices. Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Slice bread into 1/2 inch thick slices. Lightly brush with olive oil.
- Place sausage, peppers, zucchini, and onions on the main part of the grill. Add the bread slices to the top rack of the grill. Cover and grill for 3-4 minutes. Open grill and flip the veggies, sausage and bread. Cover and grill for another minute or two and then remove bread slices. Allow vegetables and chicken sausage to finish grilling, for about another 2-3 minutes. Remove vegetables and sausage from the grill. If desired, grill the halved romaine lettuce head for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove everything and dice up into small bite size chunks. Toss with tomatoes and vinaigrette.
- Grate fresh Parmesan over entire salad, Serve immediately or after 1 hour to allow bread to soften.