Grilled Jalapeno Poppers: Spicy jalapenos are stuffed with a smoky cream cheese filling, wrapped in bacon, and grilled to perfection for one spicy, creamy bite that is sure to light any appetite on fire!
A few years ago, my husband and I attended his colleague’s Christmas party were we all brought an appetizer to share.
I made my Bacon Wrapped Dates, which I knew would be a huge success, since who dosen’t love something wrapped in bacon?! And they were a huge hit and one of the first appetizers to disappear, but there was another goodie wrapped in bacon that won for the best appetizer–Jalapeno Poppers. And you guys, they were smoked in a smokehouse. OH MY WORD!!
Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
Ever since that night, my husband has asked me to make Jalapeno Poppers at home. I knew that I could not perfectly replicate the smokehouse flavor, but could come close by adding some smoked paprika to the cream cheese mixture and grilling the poppers over a charcoal grill.
These Jalapeno Poppers are creamy, salty, and spicy in each bite. They were perfection.
How to Make Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers
Step One: Prepare Bacon
In order to be sure your bacon is fully cooked and crispy after grilling, you need to par-cook the bacon strip slightly.
- Cook Bacon for 2 minutes on paper towel lined plate.
- Alternatively, you can cook bacon in 400 degree oven for 4-5 minutes.
- Let cool slightly for handling.
Step Two: Prepare Jalapenos
- Put plastic gloves on to protect your fingers from the heat of jalapeno peppers. If you don’t have gloves, be sure to wash your hands VERY thoroughly after handling peppers.
- Slice jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds and ribs of jalapeno.
Step Three: Make Jalapeno Popper Filling
- Mix together cream cheese and spices.
Step Four: Stuff Jalapeno Peppers
- Scoop 1-2 tablespoons in each jalapeno half.
- Wrap with bacon and secure with toothpick.
Step Five: Grill
- Grill jalapeno poppers over medium-low heat until creamy cheesy is bubbly and bacon is crisp.
- Do NOT flip your poppers while grilling, or the filling will fall out and make a mess!
A few Notes on Jalapeno Poppers
- Instead of grilling peppers, bake on cookie sheet for 30 minutes in 350 degree oven.
- Feel free to add up to 1/2 cup shredded cheese to cream cheese mixture for Cheesy Jalapeno Poppers.
- You can pre-make these poppers for a party up to 3 days in advance and just finish on the grill to heat through and finish cooking the bacon.
More Party Favorite Recipes
- Lightened Up Easy Hot Corn Dip
- Spicy Sausage Cups
- Simple Greek Pinwheels with Tzatziki Dipping Sauce
- Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip
- The Most Amazing Taco Dip
Grilled Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
- 6 large jalapenos sliced lengthwise, seed and ribs removed
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 strips bacon cult in half
Prepare charcoal grill to medium heat (or gas grill.)
Pre-cook bacon on paper towel lined plate in the microwave for 2 minutes.
Combine cream cheese with paprika, garlic, onion powder and salt.
Fill the cavity of each jalapeno with the cream cheese mixture.
Wrap a slice of bacon around each jalapeno. You can secure with a toothpick if needed--I have found I don't need one.
Place on grill over direct heat, for 10-15 minutes, or until bacon is crispy on the bottom. (Will be less time on a gas grill.)
If you would like bacon crispier on the top--pop under broiler for 1-2 minutes. But pre-cooking the bacon, usually eliminates that step.
Alternatively, you can wrap the bacon around the jalapenos without pre-cooking and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes--the bacon fat will render directly into your jalapeno, making it super tasty.