Grilled Jalapeno Poppers are an easy, creamy, delicious low-carb appetizer. Spicy jalapenos are stuffed with a smoky cream cheese filling, wrapped in bacon, and grilled to perfection for one spicy, creamy bite that is sure to light any appetite on fire!
If you love Jalapeno Poppers, you will flip for these Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers.
Instead of a thick breading, bacon replaces the breading for a salty, savory, smoky bite. And instead of being fried, these jalapeno poppers are grilled, which lends to their smoky flavor–and cuts back significantly on the fat and calories.
Not only is this appetizer delicious, but it is also allergy-friendly as it is egg-free, low-carb, gluten-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
These Jalapeno Poppers are truly party perfection!
- Jalapenos: You want to select relatively large jalapenos so that they are easy to stuff and won’t fall through the grates of the grill.
- Cream Cheese: Use low-fat or full-fat cream cheese, but do NOT use fat-free cream cheese as it may separate when cooking, plus the flavor is not as good! Also, be sure the cream cheese is at room temperature for before preparing the filling for the jalapeno poppers.
- Bacon: The bacon is key to these poppers. As it cooks, the fat renders into the cream cheese and jalapeno, adding an incredible layer of flavor to this appetizer.
- Seasonings: I love to add in garlic, smoked paprika, and onion powder to the cream cheese for added flavor. The garlic and onion powder add a savoriness to the poppers and the smoked paprika adds a layer of smokey flavor. Feel free to use regular paprika if you do not have smoked paprika.
How to Make Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
- Cook Bacon for 2 minutes on a paper towel-lined plate. Alternatively, you can cook bacon in a 400-degree oven for 4-5 minutes. This is to ensure your bacon is fully cooked and crispy after grilling, instead of partially cooked.
- Mix together cream cheese and spices.
- Slice jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds and ribs of jalapeno. Pro-Tip: Put plastic gloves on to protect your fingers from the heat of jalapeno peppers. If you don’t have gloves, be sure to wash your hands VERY thoroughly after handling peppers.
- Scoop 1-2 tablespoons in each jalapeno half.
- Wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Grill jalapeno poppers over medium-low heat until creamy cheesy is bubbly and bacon is crisp. Do NOT flip your poppers while grilling, or the filling will fall out and make a mess!
More Party Favorite Recipes
Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
- 6 large jalapenos sliced lengthwise, seed and ribs removed
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 strips bacon cult in half
- Prepare charcoal or gas grill to medium heat.
- Pre-cook bacon on paper towel lined plate in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Combine cream cheese with paprika, garlic, onion powder and salt.
- Fill the cavity of each jalapeno with the cream cheese mixture.
- Wrap a slice of bacon around each jalapeno. You can secure with a toothpick if needed--I have found I don't need one.
- Place on grill over direct heat, for 10-15 minutes, or until bacon is crispy on the bottom. (Will be less time on a gas grill.)
- If you would like bacon crispier on the top--pop under broiler for 1-2 minutes. But pre-cooking the bacon, usually eliminates that step.
- Feel free to add up to 1/2 cup shredded cheese to cream cheese mixture for Cheesy Jalapeno Poppers.
- You can pre-make these poppers for a party up to 3 days in advance and just finish on the grill to heat through and finish cooking the bacon.
- Wear disposable gloves when dealing with jalapenos or wash your hands thoroughly after handling and do not touch your eyes or mouth.
This post was originally published in 2018 but was updated in 2020 with new tips and step-by-step pictures.