Easy Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Topper: This simple tomato soup recipe comes together easily with a huge dose of flavor. But the best part of this tomato soup is that it is finished off with a giant cheese crouton–because everything is better with cheese.
I absolutely love the fall for so many reasons–pumpkin, apples, football, crisp air, jeans, and comfort foods.
To me comfort foods are warm and rich and take me right back to my Papa’s house on a Sunday afternoon while the Cleveland Browns played in the background–like his homemade Pot Roast or his famous from scratch-chicken pot pie.
If you are a Browns fan, you know we live for the food, not the game!
My papa was also known for delicious from scrath soup recipes–like Slow Cooker Ham and Bean Soup.
And to this day, when the weather gets colder I crave a giant bowl of homemade soup.
Easy Homemade Tomato Soup
We are not talking about canned tomato soup here.
We are talking about rich, creamy homemade tomato soup that will leave your taste buds satisfied.
I create a flavorful base of onions and garlic and oregano. I keep my easy tomato soup simple by adding by using canned tomatoes—meaning you can make this soup all winter long without garden fresh tomatoes.
And what is a tomato soup without a grilled cheese sandwich?
My family would call that insanity!
There is nothing better than dunking a toasted piece of bread smothered with cheese into a warm bowl of tomato soup so thick that it clings to the sandwich.
Isn’t the best part of that soup dipping your soup into a crispy crust of cheese and thick bread?
Well, for me it is!
After one bite of this homemade tomato soup—YOU WILL NEVER EAT ANOTHER CAN OF TOMATO SOUP AGAIN!
Tips on Quick and Easy Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Crouton
- Be sure to toast your oregano per the recipe directions–this allows the oregano to release it’s oil into the soup.
- The higher quality the canned tomatoes, the less amount of time the tomato soup has to cook down. If you use San Marzano tomatoes, you can cut the cooking time down to 30 minutes and still have fabulous results.
- To make these Grilled Cheese Croutons Gluten-Free, use your favorite Gluten Free Bread.
- You can make this Slow Cooker Tomato Soup, by sauteeing the onions, garlic and oregano and then adding that to your slow cooker along with the stock and canned tomatoes. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- You can also make this Instant Pot Tomato Soup, by turning your instant pot to saute function and cooking the onions, garlic and oregano for 2-3 minutes, add in the stock and tomatoes and set to sealed and high pressure for 20 minutes. Be sure to add tomatoes LAST to your instant pot and do not mix into the stock so that you will not risk burning your tomatoes/
- I puree this soup, using an immersion blender. This is not necessary, but smooth soups are prefered in my household.
- I like to cut my bread to fit the soup bowls and then toast it in the oven to melt the cheese and toast the bread. I top my tomato soup right before serving to keep my giant grilled cheese crouton from getting soggy. This keeps the bowl from getting too hot to handle (and little hands safe) if you were to top the soup and then broil.
- Do NOT throw away your excess bread–freeze bread scraps to use for homemade stuffing or Pizza Meatloaf.
If you are craving tomato soup with meat this Sausage and Roasted Roasted Tomato Soup is a great option. Or if you are what to jazz up as my son calls it “Plain Red Tomato Soup” try this Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup.
Let’s make Homemade Tomato Soup:
Homemade Tomato Soup (Cheesy Crouton Optional)
A thick and rich easy homemade tomato soup made with canned tomatoes that is topped with a giant cheese crouton.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or your favorite store bought stock
- 2 15 oz can or cartons of diced tomatoes in juice unsalted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices thick bread I used my homemade whole wheat bread recipe
- 6-8 oz shredded colby jack cheese
Heat oil over medium heat. Add diced onions and saute for 5 minutes or until onions begin to become translucent. Add the crushed garlic and oregano salt and pepper and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
Add the broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow to simmer for 3-4 hours (30 minutes is sufficient but the flavor that is developed from longer simmering is amazing!!)
Puree the soup in batches in a blender.
Toast each slice of bread.
Heat the broiler to high on your oven.
Ladle the soup in 6 oven proof bowls. Top the soup with the toasted bread and smoother in cheese. Broil until cheese melts about 5 minutes, depending on the strength of your broiler.
Nutrition values are based on soup without grilled cheese crouton.
If you liked this Tomato Soup Recipe, here are more Easy Soup Recipes
This post has been featured on Meal Plan Monday.