Apple Crisp Bars: This apple dessert is a layer of shortbread cookie crust topped with sweet apples and finished with a buttery crumble.
There is nothing like visiting an apple orchard in the fall.
I adore crisp, fresh apples for eating plain with a yogurt dip, or for making homemade applesauce.
And of course you make apple pie……scratch that, you need to instead make these easy and addictive Apple Crisp Bars!
Apple Crisp Bars
A little bit like apple pie, a little bit like apple crisp, these apple crisp bars are an addictive dessert made with a shortbread cookie crust, sweet apple pie filling, and a oat crumble.
These apple bars are a perfect way to celebrate the fall and to enjoy the apple harvest of your local orchard (or I guess, the grocery store–but seriously guys the orchard experience is truly awesome.)
How to Make Apple Crisp Bars
These bars are not hard, especially if you whip out your food processor. I use my food processor for each step and then I only have one thing to wash and prep is a breeze.
Step 1: The Cookie Crust
- Pulse whole wheat flour, sugar, butter and Greek yogurt in the food processor to form a crumbly dough a lot like a shortbread.
- Press the shortbread like base into a 9 inch square pan that has been lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Bake cookie crust for 10 minutes.
Step 2: The Apple Filling
- Fit the food processor with the slicing blade.
- Cut washed apples into quarters.
- Throw apples in the food processor to slice into 1/4 inch slices.
- Toss the apples with the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Place apples on pre-baked cookie crust.
Should you peel the apples?
You can, but I like to leave the peels on for added fiber and makes these apple bars that much easier.
Step 3: The Crumble
- Place the mixing blade back in the food processor.
- Place the ingredients for the crumble into the food processor.
- Give it a few pulses to combine.
- Top the apple filling with the oat crumble.
Step 4: Bake Apple Pie Bars
- Bake the bars until the apples are tender and the crisp topping is golden.
- Inhale as your house is filled with the scents of cinnamon, nutmeg and apples.
Step 5: Devour!
- Serve warm.
- Serve warm with ice cream.
- Allow to cool and cut into hand held bars.
Notes on Apple Pie Bars
- I prefer to use Granny Smith apples in the filling of these apple bars. Their tartness pairs perfectly with the sugar to not be overly sweet. But any firm apple such as Gala, Honeycrisp, or Golden Delicious works as well.
- Feel free to replace the Greek yogurt with an additional 1/4 cup cold butter.
- Use freshly grated nutmeg for the best flavor.
- Feel free to sub out all purpose flour for the whole wheat flour.
- Store Apple Crisp Bars in the fridge for up to 4 days.
More Apple Recipes
- Instant Pot Applesauce
- Easy Cream Cheese Apple Dip
- Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
- Healthy Apple Cinnamon Bread
- Kale Salad with Apples
- Chili Lime Pan Seared Tilapia with Apple Salsa
Apple Pie Bar Recipe
Apple Crisp Bars
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or all purpose
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup butter cubed and cold
- Apple Filling:
- 1 pound Granny Smith apples washed and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter cold
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350.
Line a 9 inch square pan with foil or parchment paper.
Shortbread Cookie Base
Place flour, sugar, yogurt, and butter in food processor and give a few get whirls to just bring ingredients together. Press down into lined pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
Apple Pie Filling
Toss the sliced apples together with sugar, flour and spices. Pour over the prebaked crust.
Apple Crisp Topping
Combine the flour, oats, butter and cinnamon until justjust combined. Sprinkle over apples.
Bake for additional 30-35 minutes.
Serve warm or cooled sliced into bars. Ice cream optional.
TO MAKE APPLE CRISP BARS, YOU MAY NEED
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!