Old Fashioned Apple Crisp: My family’s recipe for Apple Crisp has been passed down for years. One bite of this easy crisp, you will see why my family is so in love with it!
Every year at Christmas, my Dad’s company gives him a huge box of fresh apples from orchards in Ohio. It is one of the best gifts to get in my opinion. Those apples are so fresh and just about every variety of apples are present in this box.
My Dad’s birthday is also around Christmas, and it is his tradition to choose Old Fashioned Apple Crisp as his birthday dessert. And if he ever changed his mind, I think everyone else in my family would pitch a fit.
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
This is an Old Fashioned Apple Crisp Recipe that is not light, nor is it made with my typical healthy swaps.
I use butter, refined sugar and flour, but friends, this apple crisp is still homemade and not filled with preservatives.
And I would not change a single thing about it–everything in moderation right?!
If you are craving comfort, decadence, and want to celebrate apple season, you NEED to try this Easy Old Fashioned Apple Crisp. My guess is it will become one of your favorite family memories as well.
How to Make Apple Crisp
Step One: Prepare the Baking Dish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 8×8 or 2 quart casserole pan and set aside.
Step Two: Prepare the Apples
- Wash and dry a variety of apples
- Peel (you can leave peels on, but your apple crisp will have more of a bite)
- Thinly slice apples
- Place apples in the baking dish until it is three-quarters of the way full.
*I do not toss my apples with sugar or lemon juice, this is the way my family has been making it for generations. The crisp topping will melt into the apples as the crisp bakes, so no additional sweetener is necessary.
Step Three: Prepare the Oat Topping
- In a large bowl combine the flour, oats, and seasonings.
- Cut in the soft butter into the mixture with a pastry cutter, 2 forks, or your hands.
- Cover apples with oat crisp topping.
Step Four: Bake the Apple Crisp
- Bake covered with foil for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 20 minutes, until topping is browned and apples are cooked.
Step Five: Serve
- In my book, Apple Crisp must be served with a good quality Vanilla Ice cream!
How To Prepare Apple Crisp In Advance
- Prepare apples.
- Place apples in air tight container.
- Toss with 1/4 cup plus 1/4 cup lemon juice or pineapple juice.
- Store the apples in juice in the fridge, for up to one day.
- Make the crumble topping and put it in a separate container in the fridge.
- When ready to bake, remove from the fridge, and sprinkle the topping on top.
- Bake as directed.
Tips on The Best Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
- For the best flavor, use a variety of apples. My favorites apples to use for apple crisp are granny smith, golden delicious and courtland or gala.
- If you need to have Gluten-Free Apple Crisp, use certified gluten-free oats and a 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour.
- Old fashioned oats and quick-cooking oats can be interchanged in the apple crisp with oats topping.
- This recipe can easily be doubled. Simply use a 9×13 or 4 quart baking dish.
More Apple Recipes
- Kale Salad with Apples
- Slow Cooker Apple Pork Roast
- Chili Lime Pan Seared Tilapia with Apple Salsa
- Overnight Apple Pie Oatmeal
Apple Crisp Recipe
Easy Apple Crisp
- 4 cups sliced pared, and cored apples (I do not slice my apples, but my family does!)
- 2/3-3/4 cup cup brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 8x8 pan and set aside.
- Peel (if desired), and thinly slice apple, filling the baking dish three-quarters of the way full.
- Blend oats, sugar, butter, nutmeg, cinnamon and flour with hands until mixture is crumbly. Spread over apples.
- Bake for 20 minutes covered and then uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.
TO MAKE THIS APPLE CRISP RECIPE, YOU MAY NEED
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!