Spiced Apple Bread — Recipe for an amazing apple quick bread that is made from scratch with whole wheat flour, maple syrup and filled with apples, and warming spices. A slice of this low-fat, whole wheat apple bread is just what your breakfast needs!
There is nothing like a warm loaf of bread baking.
You add some apples, cinnamon, and tell me it can be made in one bowl with no effort. Could life be any sweeter?
I love quick breads and muffins. Zucchini Bread, Pumpkin Bread, Chocolate Paleo Zucchini Bread Lemon Muffins, Blueberry Muffins….the list goes on. A quick bread can be whipped up in a matter of minutes and then immediately baked with no rising period to account for, making quick bread the EASIEST bread recipe to pull off.
So in celebration of all things fall, I decided to whip up a Spiced Apple Bread.
Whole Wheat Spiced Apple Bread
Oh the smell that happens when this apple bread is baking is reason enough to drop what you are doing and make this recipe now. My house was filled with the essence fall as cinnamon, nutmeg and apple wafted through the air. My mouth watered during the entire baking process.
Paired, with a cup of mulled apple cider, this cinnamon apple bread is perfect for celebrating fall or just to and curl up on the couch with a blanket and a book–now, doesn’t that sound like a perfect afternoon?!
How to Make One Bowl Cinnamon Apple Quick Bread
Start with one bowl–you are loving this already, right?!
Throw the dry ingredients and spices into the bowl and whisk together.
Do yourself a favor–grate your nutmeg fresh! The stuff that is pre-grated–yuck!! But when you grate it fresh–yes, that is what I am talking about.
Toss your apple in with the dry ingredients so that the apples will be coated with flour and not sink to the bottom of your loaf pan–so every bite will be as delicious as the last.
Add your wet ingredients–this is not a mistake, there is NO OIL in this apple quick bread, making this recipe low-fat.
The applesauce, apple cider, and milk keep this bread light and fluffy and so incredibly moist, that the slices almost need to be eaten with a fork.
There it is. Just what you have been waiting for.
Warm bread, cooling and filling your house with the subtle scent of cinnamon and apples.
Tips on Apple Quick Bread:
- I used whole wheat, but all-purpose flour will work.
- Be sure to throughly mix your dry ingredients together so that you don’t bite into a chunk of baking soda–YUCK!
- Any variety apples will work, but I like gala or granny smith apples the best for this recipe.
- If you don’t have apple cider, use apple juice.
- If you want to keep this Apple Bread dairy-free, use almond milk or additional juice or cider.
- Be sure to use 100% Maple Syrup not Imitation Maple Syrup for the sweetener in this Apple Bread.
- Try to resist–it will be hard, but to keep that loaf intact, you must let it cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Store Whole Wheat Apple Bread in the refrigerator once completely cooled. It is so moist, it would mold if left at room temperature for more than one day.
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Apple Bread Recipe
Spiced Apple Bread
A spiced quick bread recipe filled with chunks of apples.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped apples any variety will work
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup applesauce
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices together. Add apples and toss to coat apples in dry ingredients (this helps prevent apples from sinking to bottom of pan).
In a large mixing glass, whisk together wet ingredients. Add to dry ingredients and fold together until just combined.
Bake for 45-55 minutes, until butter knife inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
So instead of lighting a candle that will trick your taste buds into thinking that something delicious is baking, whip up this bread in 5 minutes and enjoy a week of snacking on this healthy and low-fat quick bread, perfect for anytime of the day.
More Delicious Apple Recipes