5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Pot Roast: Forget complicated meals! 5 ingredients is all it takes to get one of most comforting, delicious Pot Roasts you have EVER had–one of the BEST dinners you have ever had!
Crock pot Pot Roast is one of those meals that brings me back to my childhood.
I have memories of sitting around my grandparent’s table with my cousins and my Papa dishing out his signature dishes.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
As you would expect from a mid-western raised girl, Pot Roast is one of my favorite dinners.
My husband, who grew up raising cattle, also loves a good pot roast. However, we are both pretty picky when it comes to pot roasts. We have had our share of dried out meat and our share of ones with weird seasonings or one that is not seasoned at all. We like it simple, but full of flavor.
When we follow my Papa’s method for Crock-Pot Pot Roast, we are never disappointed.
5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Pot Roast
That’s right JUST 5 ingredients!! Well, 8 ingredients if you count salt and pepper and oil for searing.
- Chuck Roast
- Beef Broth
- Prepared Horseradish
You may be thinking HORSERADISH??!! But this is the secret ingredient that will make your Crock Pot Pot Roast absolutely IRRESISTIBLE!
The horseradish not only gives incredible flavor, but it works to tenderize the chuck roast. And don’t worry, it is NOT overpowering–so the kids will still be scarfing this meal down!
How to Make Pot Roast in Slow Cooker
Step One: Sear your Chuck Roast (optional)
If you have the time, take the extra step to sear your pot roast. This step seals in the juices of the roast and will help deepen the flavor of the overall dish.
- Heat a heavy bottom skillet or dutch oven, over medium-high heat.
- Season meat with heavily with salt and pepper.
- Pour in 1 tablespoon oil in skillet.
- Sear roast on each side until browned–about 2 minutes per side.
Step Two: Layer Ingredients in Slow Cooker
- Layer quartered carrots and quartered potatoes into your slow-cooker.
- Place a chuck roast, or roast of your choice, on top of the veggies.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and spread prepared horseradish over the roast.
- Pour beef stock around the meat
Pro Tip: Be sure the beef stock reaches to 3/4 of the way up the pot roast. Cooking in the liquid will keep this roast from drying out!
Step Three: Cook low and Slow
Step Four: Serve
- My family likes to slice up the pot roast and serve the tender carrots and potatoes with sour cream. There is something so comforting about dipping those potatoes and carrots in sour cream!
- This Pot Roast is also delicious made without the potatoes and carrots and served with homemade mashed potatoes.
What meat is best for pot roast?
Because pot roast is cooked low and slow, this is a time to use a tougher cut of meat. When cooked slow, the fat and collagen break down, tenderizing the meat.
Best Cuts for Pot Roast
- Chuck Roast
I personally prefer a chuck roast or round roast.
Gravy for Pot Roast
The beauty of this recipe for pot roast, is that it is so tender and juicy it does not need gravy.
However if you would like to make gravy, follow these steps.
- After the pot roast has cooked, remove from slow cooker and let rest on cutting board, tented with foil to keep warm.
- Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and cover with foil to keep warm as well.
- Strain the cooking liquid to use for gravy.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in small saucepan.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoon flour, and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in 1 to 2 cups of strained liquid, whisking well.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until thickened.
Tips on cooking Crock Pot Pot Roast
- This recipe served my family 2 meals plus a few leftovers. We ate a small portion of beef and tons of vegetables–so good!
- We love to dip our veggies into sour cream–sounds crazy, but try it!
- Sometimes I will add 1/2 cup beer to this pot roast recipe which give it additional flavor. I like the added punch, but my family prefers it without the beer.
- Feel free to use a bag of baby carrots and small new potatoes in place of the quartered carrots and russets.
- I love adding quartered yellow onions for additional flavor.
- Prepared horseradish is just pre-gated fresh horseradish you find in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. The only ingredients should be horseradish, salt and possibly vinegar.
- The horseradish is the secret to success and flavor for this pot roast recipe, so don’t SKIP on that. I know most people prefer dry onion soup mix, but I am telling you that horseradish will blow you away.
- Remember to check to ensure your beef broth is gluten-free if you need this to be Gluten-Free Pot Roast.
- Omit the potatoes and add more carrots for to make a Paleo Pot Roast.
More Slow Cooker Comfort Food Recipes
- Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Drumsticks
- Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup
- Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken and Rice
Crock Pot Pot Roast Recipe
5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 2 pound chuck roast trimmed of fat
- 3 pounds russet or yukon gold potatoes scrubbed and quartered
- 2 pounds carrots peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 cup prepared horseradish not horseradish sauce!!
- 2 cups beef stock
- Layer potatoes and carrots in slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Lay the roast in the middle of the vegetables and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Spread the horseradish evenly over the roast. Pour the beef broth around the meat (not over it, as that would wash away the horseradish).
- Cook on low 10-12 hours or high 5-6 hours.