This is an easy recipe for Homemade Beef Stroganoff with homemade cream of mushroom soup. A creamy gravy tossed with fresh mushrooms and beef and served over egg noodles is a hearty, comforting Healthier Beef Stroganoff that is made with wholesome ingredients you can feel proud to serve your family or friends.
My husband has told me his favorite meal as a child was Beef Stroganoff.
Made with cream of mushroom soup, sour cream and ground beef, that was the Beef Stroganoff he grew up eating.
But even my husband agrees, my from scratch Homemade Beef Stroganoff puts his childhood favorite to shame.
Easy Homemade Beef Stroganoff
Homemade Beef Stroganoff comes together nearly as quick as you opening up a can of cream of mushroom and the taste is of no comparison. Trust me, this WILL be your new comfort food go-to and will be one you can feel good about eating!
How to Make Homemade Beef Stroganoff
- Saute Mushrooms in butter.
- Add in lean ground beef and seasonings.
- Cook until the mushrooms and beef until beef is browned.
- Drain off all but 1/2 tablespoon of the rendered fat fat from the pan.
- Add in flour and cook for 1 minute to remove any raw flour taste.
- Deglaze the pan with red wine.
- Slowly whisk in beef stock and milk.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer covered for 15 to 20 minutes, or until sauce is thickened.
- While your Beef Stroganoff is simmering, boil egg noodles to accompany the sauce.
- Serve Beef Stroganoff over cooked egg noodles.
Tips on 30 Minute Beef Stroganoff
- I add a dry red wine to the cooking liquids for additional depth of flavor, but feel free to use additional beef stock in place of the wine.
- If you don’t like beef, you can use ground turkey or ground chicken in this Stroganoff recipe.
- I prefer a mixture of baby creminis and baby portabello mushrooms for the best meaty flavor, but any mushroom works.
- If you would like a really thick Stroganoff sauce, stir in 1/2 cup to 1 cup sour cream after your sauce has simmered.
- To finish off the meal, my choice is dish the sauce generously over whole wheat egg noodles that have been cooked and tossed with a bit of butter and salt, but mashed potatoes are a great base as well.
More Classic Recipes
- Homemade Hamburger Helper
- Chicken Pot Pie
- 5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Classic Meatloaf from The Wholesome Dish
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Homemade Beef Stroganoff
A classic beef stroganoff recipe is updated with a homemade creamy mushroom sauce.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced baby portabello and cremini mushrooms
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or 1/2 cup additional stock
- 1 cup milk divided
- 1 1/2 cups mushroom or beef stock
- 1 package whole wheat egg noodles cooked
Melt butter in heavy bottomed stock pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add in ground beef, thyme, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, onion powder and saute until beef is browned.
Drain off all but 1/2 tablespoon pan drippings. I find that when using lean ground beef, I do not need to drain meat at all.
Add flour to pan and stir to coat. Allow to cook for 1 additional minute.
Deglaze pan with wine and bring to a boil, whisking to incorporate flour into liquid. Add 1/2 cup milk and whisk well until mixture is quite thick.
Add remaining stock and milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes until flavors are well married. Taste and season with additional 1 teaspoon of salt if needed.
Serve over egg noodles.
Feel free to use additional beef stock in place of the wine.
If you don't like beef, you can use ground turkey or ground chicken in this Stroganoff recipe.
I prefer a mixture of baby creminis and baby portabello mushrooms for the best meaty flavor, but any mushroom works.
If you would like a really thick Stroganoff sauce, stir in 1/2 cup to 1 cup sour cream after your sauce has simmered.