Watermelon Sangria is a refreshing summer cocktail made with fresh watermelon, lime juice, and white wine to create a festive, bright, and light cocktail.
Watermelon Sangria is a delicious summer cocktail made with fresh watermelon juice, fresh lime juice, and dry white wine. It is refreshing, crisp, light, and bursting with watermelon flavor.
This sangria recipe is a perfect way to use up leftover watermelon or the perfect way to cool down on a hot summer day. Or you can garnish this Watermelon Sangria with a watermelon star and fresh blueberries for the perfect drink for your patriotic celebrations--so cute and festive!
- Watermelon: Fresh, juicy, ripe watermelon is best for making watermelon sangria. Be sure to not use watermelon that is pale in color and lacks sweetness.
- Lime Juice: Fresh lime juice adds tartness and brightness to this sangria. Be sure to use FRESHLY squeezed juice instead of bottled lime juice.
- White Wine: Select a dry white wine, like Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio for this sangria.
- Triple Sec: The citrus flavors of triple sec add a nice dimension and flavor to the sangria.
- Seltzer water: To keep the sangria bubbly and light, finish off the cocktails with seltzer water.
How to Make Watermelon Sangria
Step One: Prepare Watermelon Juice
- Cut up watermelon into cubes, leaving some larger slices of watermelon intact for cutting out watermelon stars. Need help cutting a watermelon, check out this tutorial on how to cube a watermelon.
- Place the cubed watermelon into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Strain the watermelon juice over a fine mesh strainer. This is a VERY necessary step, or your sangria may have chunks or pulp which is very unappetizing.
Step Two: Prepare Sangria
- To a large pitcher, add fresh watermelon juice, lime juice, triple sec, and white wine.
- Stir to incorporate.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. This will allow the flavors to really meld together.
Step Three: Serve
- Fill glasses with ice.
- Stir the watermelon mixture and then fill the glass ⅔rds of the way full with the mixture.
- Top off with chilled seltzer water.
- If desired, prepare watermelon stars by simply using a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out stars from watermelon slices.
- Garnish with fresh blueberries and watermelon star cutouts if desired.
More Refreshing Drink Recipes
If you enjoyed this simple, refreshing Watermelon Sangria, please be sure to leave a comment below.
- 7 cups fresh watermelon diced
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- ¼ cup triple sec optional
- 1 liter plain seltzer water optional
- 1 pint blueberries optional
- Blend 7 cups of watermelon until smooth. Strain through a mesh strainer to remove any seeds or pulp, reserving the juice.
- Add fresh watermelon juice, lime juice, triple sec and white wine to large pitcher. Stir to incorporate.
- Chill for 2-4 hours.
- Before serving, stir again. Fill a glass with ice. Pour in the watermelon mixture until the glass is ⅔rds of the way full. Top off the glass with chilled seltzer water.
- Garnish with fresh blueberries and watermelon stars if desired.
- Use a dry white wine like Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, or Dry Riesling
- Best to serve after 2-4 hours of refrigeration.
- Watermelon Sangria will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator.
- The seltzer water adds a nice effervescence to this Sangria, but feel to omit.
- Triple sec adds incredible depth of flavor but can be omitted in a pinch.