Watermelon Salsa is a super fresh dip made with fresh watermelon, cucumber, lime juice, feta, and cilantro. This fresh summer salsa pairs great with salty chips or as a topping for grilled meat and is a great addition to your summer cook-outs.
Watermelon Salsa an unexpected and delightful twist on classic salsa and when served with blue tortilla chips, it is a festive addition to a patriotic 4th of July or Memorial Day Party.
Why Watermelon Salsa Works
Have you ever tried watermelon with salt before?
Growing up, I remember my grandparents and parents sprinkling salt on their watermelon slices. At first I thought this trend was disgusting, but after much coaxing, I gave it a try.
I was HOOKED.
Watermelon's flavor is intensified with the addition of salt and seriously makes your taste buds water for MORE.
Hence, why Watermelon Salsa paired with salty feta and corn chips is just so darn irresistible.
This super simple watermelon dip highlights the flavors of summer, while creating a beautiful dip that looks extremely festive served with blue corn chips of any kind. Not to mention, this watermelon dip is quick to throw together!
Notes on Ingredients
- Fresh Ripe Watermelon--Be sure to use a ripe watermelon for this easy Watermelon Salsa. You can tell if a watermelon is ripe by three things: it should feel heavy for its size, sound hollow when tapped, and have a yellow spot where the watermelon rested on the ground.
- Cucumber--Use either a seedless English Cucumber or a garden cucumber. If using a garden cucumber, be sure to peel and seed before adding to the salsa.
- Cilantro--If you don't like cilantro, feel free to use fresh mint instead. Mint and watermelon are a nice combo.
- Feta Cheese--While the cheese adds a lot of dimension to this dish, feel free to omit if dairy-free.
- Lime Juice--Be sure to use FRESH lime juice for the best flavor
How To Make Watermelon Salsa
Step One: Prepare Produce
- Dice watermelon into ¼ inch cubes, removing any seeds if needed.
- Peel and seed cucumber. Cut into ⅛ inch cubes or slices.
- Finely chop fresh cilantro or mint.
Step Two: Prepare Salsa
- Toss watermelon, cilantro, and lime juice together.
- Gently stir in crumbled feta cheese.
- Taste and season with salt as desired.
Step Three: Serve Watermelon Salsa
How to Store
This watermelon salsa is best served within a few hours of assembly. When entertaining, I pre-dice my watermelon, and cilantro and then right before the party, I mix all ingredients together.
If you happen to have leftover salsa, cover and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. Use a colander to drain off the salsa before serving again, as excess liquid will form as it sits.
More Fresh Salsa Recipes
I hope you enjoy this Watermelon Salsa and if you gave it a try, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
- 3 cups watermelon diced into ¼" cubes
- ½ seedless cucumber diced
- ½ white onion diced
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼-1/2 cup crumbled feta I like a lot, some people prefer just a touch
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Dice watermelon into ¼ inch cubes. Finely dice up cucumber and cilantro.
- Toss watermelon, cucumber, and cilantro with lime juice.
- Gently stir in feta cheese. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Serve immediately.