Cinnamon Raisin bread is one of the most delicious bread recipes to make at home! Filled with warm cinnamon and sweet raisins, this Homemade Cinnamon Raisin Bread is soft, tender, dairy-free, and made with whole wheat flour. But most importantly–it is delicious!
Cinnamon Raisin Bread
My favorite bread ever is Cinnamon Raisin Bread.
Whether toasted or sliced warm from the oven, a slice of cinnamon raisin bread with a smear of butter is a bit of heaven.
But the best way to enjoy this bread, is to make it at home.
Not only do you get to control what ingredients are in your bread when you make it at home, but you also have the reward of enjoying the sweet aroma as it baked! And nothing beats the smell of cinnamon and freshly baked bread, well except for the taste!
- Warm Water
- Whole Wheat Flour–feel free to us all-purpose flour as well
- Olive Oil
- Vital Wheat Gluten (optional)
- Raisins–soaked; this step is crucial to make sure the raisins plump up and don’t absorb water from the bread recipe.
How To Make Cinnamon Raisin Bread
Making Cinnamon Raisin Bread at home is not hard. In fact, my recipe is one of the easiest recipes out there and it also happens to be whole wheat, naturally sweetened and dairy-free. And of course, delicious!
You can choose to make this Cinnamon Raisin Bread by hand, in a stand mixer or in a bread machine.
Raisin Bread By Hand/Stand Mixer
Step One: Soak Raisins
- Place raisins into a large heat safe bowl.
- Cover with boiling water and let soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain raisins well.
Step Two: Prepare Yeast
- Mix together water and yeast and let sit for 5 minutes.
Step Three: Prepare Bread Dough
- In a separate large bowl, mix together salt, cinnamon, flour, raisins, and vital wheat gluten if using.
- Add oil and honey to water mixture.
- Make a well in flour mixture and pour in the water mixture. Knead until smooth (about 5 minutes by stand mixer or 10 minutes by hand).
Step Four: Let Dough Rise
- Cover and let bread rise until doubled–anywhere from 1-2 hours depending on temperature and humidity in your kitchen.
Step Five: Shape Dough
- After dough has risen, flour hands and shape dough into one 2 pound loaf of bread or two 1 pound loaves of bread.
Step Six: Let Bread Rise Again
Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise again for 30-60 minutes.
Step Six: Bake Cinnamon Bread
Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes for a 2 pound loaf of bread or at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until a digital thermometer reads 190-195 degrees.
- Remove from oven and immediately turn cinnamon raising bread out of loaf pan(s) out unto a cooling rack.
Raisin Bread with Bread Maker
Step One: Prepare Ingredients
- Cover raisins with hot water and let sit while preparing the bread.
- Pour the water into the pan fitted into the bread machine.
Measure the oil first and then the honey (this makes the honey slip out of the measuring cup) and add to water.
Add in half the flour, then top with salt,cinnamon, and vital wheat gluten if using. Top with remaining flour.
Make a small well in flour and put yeast into that well.
Set to manufacturer’s instructions.
Step Two: Add in Raisins
- Once the bread machine signals that it is time to add in the raisins (typically it will beep after the first initial rise–about 30 minutes into the cycle
- Drain raisins well and add to bread machine.
Step Three: Cool Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- Allow the bread machine to finish it’s cycle, then immediately remove from the loaf pan and cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Tips for Homemade Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- Be sure your water is not too hot (over 115 degrees), as that can kill the yeast.
- Be sure your yeast and flour are fresh. Expired yeast will not allow bread to rise correctly and old flour will leave an unpleasant after taste.
- Measure flour by placing spoonfuls of flour into measuring cup verses filling from bag or container, this will drastically change the amount of flour.
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Raisin Bread
Cinnamon Raisin Bread by Hand/Mixer
- Place raisins in a small bowl and pour boiling water over raisins. Let them sit for 5-10 minutes, then drain.
- Combine warm water with yeast. Let sit until foamy or about 10 minutes.
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, mix together flour, salt, vital wheat gluten, cinnamon, and raisins.
- To the yeast mixture, add in the olive oil and honey.
- Attach a dough hook to the stand mixer and turn on to low speed.
- Add in the liquids and allow the mixer to bring to incorporate the ingredients. (Or mix by hand with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Knead on low speed for 5-8 minutes, or by hand until the dough soft and pliable.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel. Let double in size--anywhere from 1 to 2 hours.
- Punch down the dough and shape the dough into a loaf shape. Place the shaped dough into the prepared loaf pan and cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for another hour.
- Remove bread from the oven and cool in loaf pan for 5 minutes. Then transfer the bread to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Cinnamon Raisin Bread with Bread Machine
- Start by pouring the water into the pan fitted into the bread machine.
- Measure the oil first and then the honey (this makes the honey slip out of the measuring cup) and add to water.
- Add in half the flour, then top with salt, cinnamon, and vital wheat gluten if using. Top with remaining flour.
- Make a small well in the flour and put yeast into that well.
- Set to manufacturer's instructions.
- Once the bread machine signals that it is time to add in ingredients (typically it will beep after the first initial rise--about 30 minutes into the cycle), add in raisins.
- Allow the bread machine to finish it's cycle, then immediately remove from the loaf pan and cool on a wire rack before slicing.
- This yields a 2 pound loaf of Cinnamon Raisin Bread.
- Store at room temperature for 2 days, then refrigerate or freeze as whole wheat bread will grow mold quickly.
- Baking at high altitude? Check out these adjustments that you may need to follow.