Espresso Brownie Cupcake Sundaes: Rich, fudgy chocolate is enhanced and deepened with espresso and then baked up as brownie cupcakes. Served with a scoop of ice cream and chocolate sauce–these cupcakes are the BEST way to celebrate any occasion.
I have been called a chocoholic before. I crave chocolate after breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I know this may NOT be considered to be healthy, but I am just being real with ya.
And my daughter, well, she follows in my footsteps. Which is odd, considering that while I was pregnant with her, it was the ONLY time in my life I could care less about chocolate. Maybe both of our strong passions for chocolate cancelled each other out?
Regardless, any time Layla gets to choose dessert, she goes for chocolate, just like her Mom! So it seemed natural that for her past birthday, she would opt for brownies over cakes. But she did not just say Hey Mom, let’s have brownie sundaes. Nope, she said, Hey Mom, let’s have brownie cupcakes with ice cream frosting.
Well, well, well. I like the way this girl thinks. There is no denying she is my child.
And thankfully for her, this mom, was all about trying to make her birthday dessert request come true. And it really wasn’t that hard!!
I started with a homemade brownie batter. Nothing healthy about it, but it doesn’t feature any nasty preservatives from a box. But I won’t judge if you use a box mix, as long as you promise me you will add my secret ingredient to the batter.
The secret ingredient?
Yes, you heard correctly. A bit of brewed coffee or espresso powder does not make the brownies taste like coffee–it just enhances the chocolate flavor. And come on, who doesn’t want chocolate flavors enhanced? If you are worried about caffeine, use decaf. I messed up and used regular old coffee and served it to a bunch of 8 year olds at a slumber party–I paid, trust me I paid for that mistake!
And then I just baked the brownies in silicone cupcake liners. Once they cool, it is as easy, as topping with a scoop of ice cream and drizzling with chocolate syrup a dap of whipped cream. Of course if you are serving these to little girls, like I was, be sure to top with a cherry and sprinkles. Sprinkles are a MUST, I was told.
A great tip is to take a cake pan and place all the brownies in the pan and then top with ice cream. Pop into freezer until party time, and then you only have to decorate and serve. Easy peasy.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder (or instant coffee granules)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ gallon good quality vanilla ice cream
- chocolate sauce or hot fudge
- whipped cream
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with silcone liners or grease well.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Once butter is melted stir in sugar, chocolate chunks, cocoa powder, and instant espresso. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is well incorporated. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Mix together flour and baking powder in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add eggs and vanilla to melted chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Add in flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners with a large ice cream scoop--until liners are about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from liners and cool completely.
- Place brownie cupcakes into large glass dish and top each with a scoop of ice cream. Place back into freezer until ready to serve.
- Before serving, top with chocolate sauce, whipped cream and sprinkles and a maraschino cherry if using.
- I make my own chocolate syrup by simmering ¼ cup cocoa powder with ¼ cup honey and ¼ cup water or milk together until thick and melted, about 10 minutes. And then cool.
It made my chocoholic daughter and myself VERY, VERY happy–and I bet you will enjoy as well!
Looking for a few more ways to get your coffee fix:
- Bulletproof Coffee My Way by Monica’s Table
- Caramel Turtle Mocha Frappe by The Weekend Gourmet
- Chocolate Chip Mocha Smoothie by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Latte by Meal Planning Magic
- Apple Crumb Coffee Cake by Dessert Geek
- Banana Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Cappuccino Overnight Oats by Pies and Plots
- Cardamom-Crumb Coffee Cake by Wholistic Woman
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake (Kaffee Kuchen) by Palatable Pastime
- Coconut & Coffee Gluten Free Scones by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coffee and Cream Cinnamon Buns by Cooking With Carlee
- Maple-Coffee Breakfast Sausage by Cricket’s Confections
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Breakfast Bites by Beauty and the Beets
- Whole Wheat Pecan Crumb Cake by Family Around The Table
- Best Coffee Frosting by My World Simplified
- Bittersweet Cremeux with Coffee Caramel and Bourbon Cream by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Chip Mocha Brownies by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Coffee Nut Bark by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Coffee Toffee Crunch Cookies by Family Foodie
- Coffee Vanilla Ice Cream Pie by Moore or Less Cooking
- Cold Brew Affogato by Helpful Homemade
- Dark Chocolate Espresso Torte with Strawberry Coulis by Gourmet Everyday
- Eiskaffee (German Coffee with Ice Cream) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Espresso Brownie Cupcake Sundaes by A Mind Full Mom
- Mocha Cake with Mocha Rum Icing by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mocha Layer Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mocha Panna Cotta with Mascarpone Cream by The Crumby Cupcake
- NCR Cookies by Girl Abroad
- No Bake Mocha Cheesecake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Polish Black Cake with Whipped Mocha frosting by Hardly A Goddess
- Sweet Cream Affogato by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee and Garlic Rubbed Pork Chops by Casa de Crews
- Java Dry Spice Rub Chops by Sunday Supper Movement
- Salmon-Mandarin Salad with Asian Vinaigrette & Coffee Dressing by Asian In America
- Sticky Coffee Chicken by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.