Kale Salad with Apples and Homemade Maple Mustard Vinaigrette: A simple salad with a sweet and tangy dressing massaged into fresh kale and then tossed with apples, raisins, and walnuts.
Kale Salad. People either love it or hate it.
Take a close look at that salad. Do you see the chunks of apples and raisins, craisins, and chopped walnut scattered throughout? That to me is reason enough to love any salad! Throw in the tangy, but slightly sweet dressing, and this salad is over the top.
Let me take a moment to tell you about the nutritional benefits of kale, which is the base for this salad. Kale is low in calorie, fat free, and full of antioxidants. It is high in fiber, Vitamin K and Vitamin, Calcium, and in Iron. These vitamins are essential for bone health and liver health. Kale is full of nutrients that help your body detox unwanted toxins and keeps your brain sharp. It is also known to help prevent cancer. I love to throw kale in smoothies and eggs and soups for these reasons.
My husband who has taken years to be accepting of anything other than iceberg lettuce ate the salad and said “that was not too bad.” I can not even begin to tell you what a victory that is for him! Okay, for me. He is like a child….I needed to have him continue to try foods over and over again!!
I definitely think you should try this salad. It is a great way to enjoy this super food. Just don’t forget my secret to getting those kale leaves nice and tender–watch the video to see my trick!!
- 1 head of kale, washed well and dried
- 1 Gala apple, chopped into medium dices
- 2 tablespoons of raisins
- 2 tablespoons of craisins
- 2-3 tablespoons of chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together the vinegar, oil, mustard, and syrup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the tough stem from the kale and chopped into bite size pieces.
- Add the dressing to the kale and massage into the leaves. Yes, rub that dressing into those leaves. It will cause the kale to infuse with flavor and be easier to digest and softer to chew over time. Refrigerate for 2-8 hours and then before serving toss with the walnuts, apples, raisins, and craisins.