Drinking your greens has never been more delicious! Made with pineapple, coconut milk, bananas, and kale, this Tropical Kale Smoothie takes on a tropical vibe that goes down easy!
We all know that incorporating more greens into our diets is said to be beneficial to our overall health.
And for years, I have seen people drinking nasty green concoctions that are void of flavor in an effort to up their intake of greens. Well, give me a Spinach Salad or Kale Salad any day over those smoothies!
However, when greens are added with the RIGHT ingredients, they can create the most delicious smoothie.
And that is EXACTLY what this Tropical Kale Smoothie is--DELICIOUS!
Made with pineapple, banana, coconut milk, and of course kale, this green smoothie tastes like a cocktail worthy of enjoying on a beach. It is a lot like my recipe for Pina Colada Smoothie, just minus the orange juice with added greens.
Notes on Ingredients & Substitutions
- Kale: I know this is a Kale Smoothie, but honestly, spinach works perfectly in this green smoothie recipe. If using kale, be sure to remove the woody stems of the kale. Not only are they hard for the blender to break down, but it is also the most bitter part of the kale and can leave your smoothie tasting bitter if not removed. Baby kale is best, as it breaks down easier and is less bitter.
- Pineapple: You can use frozen or fresh pineapple. If using fresh pineapple, be sure to remove the core of the pineapple, as it is hard for a blender to break down. You can see here how to properly slice a fresh pineapple.
- Banana: The banana is added for its natural sweetness. The riper the banana, the sweeter the result! You can use frozen or fresh bananas.
- Pineapple Juice: Pineapple juice also adds sweetness to this smoothie and helps the smoothie blend into a creamy concoction. Be sure to use 100% pineapple juice. You can use jarred, canned, or refrigerated pineapple juice for this smoothie. In fact, I oftentimes drain canned pineapple that is canned in 100% juice and use that in this smoothie.
- Coconut Milk: Use canned coconut milk for the best flavor. Full-fat or reduced-fat coconut milk both work perfectly.
How to Make a Kale Smoothie
This smoothie is as easy as placing everything into the blender and blending well, ALMOST that easy. There are a few things to keep in mind that will help your smoothie come together smoothly, regardless of the power of your blender.
- Place your liquids in the blender first, this will help the blades of your blender be able to move around freely.
- Next, add the pineapple and banana. Be sure both of the fruits are in chunks that are no larger than 1 inch. If you are using a frozen banana, I would use fresh pineapple. If you are using frozen pineapple, I would use fresh pineapple. That way your smoothie won't be too thick. If you use all frozen fruit, your smoothie may turn out more like a milkshake.
- Finally, add in your greens.
- Blend on high speed until smooth and the kale is completely broken down and blended into the smoothie. If you have a less powerful blender, you may need to stop every minute and push down the fruit and blend again.
∗ important to remember ∗
Enjoy your Kale Smoothie immediately. As the kale sits, it can give a bitter aftertaste to the smoothie, so this is best enjoyed within 30 minutes of preparation.
More Delicious Smoothie Recipes
If you gave this Kale Smoothie a try, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Tropical Kale Smoothie
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup 100% pineapple juice
- 1 large ripe bananas cut into chunks, (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup pineapple chunks fresh or frozen
- 1 cup baby kale
- In the base of the blender, add the coconut milk and pineapple juice. Add the banana, pineapple, and kale on top of the coconut milk and juice.
- Place the lid on the blender and blend on high speed until the smoothie is smooth and creamy and the kale is broken down completely.
- For best results, serve immediately.