This is the best recipe for Kale Salad! Made with a sweet and tangy dressing that is massaged into fresh kale and then tossed with apples, raisins, and walnuts, this kale salad is full of flavor, texture, and nutrients!
The Secret to the Best Kale Salad
Kale has a reputation for being very tough and bitter. But there is a secret to preparing kale that will make your kale salads tender and full of delicious flavor.
You need to massage and marinate the kale.
Yes, you heard me right, you need to massage the kale!! This simply means to rub the dressing into the kale leaves. This will help to break down the tough fibers of the kale leaves and allow the kale to absorb the flavors of the dressing.
Once you have given your kale a good rub down place the kale salad into the refrigerator for several hours to marinate in the dressing. The kale will absorb the dressing and the acidity in the dressing will further break the kale down, leaving it tender.
Just by following those two tips, you are guaranteed to have a delicious kale salad. But by adding sweet apples, tart cranberries, and toasted nuts, you will have a memorable Kale Salad you crave again and again.
How to Make Kale Salad
- Remove the thick stem from each stalk of kale and then roll the kale leaves up and chop into bite-size pieces.
- Place the kale into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing and then pour that dressing over the kale leaves. Using your hands, rub the dressing all through the kale, giving the leaves a good massage.
- Cover the salad and refrigerate the kale for at least 2 hours, giving the akel time to fully break down and become tender.
- Right before serving, toss the kale with chopped apples, raisins, dried cranberries, and nuts before serving.
Store the marinated kale in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. For best results, do not add the apples and nuts until right before serving.
More Recipes Featuring Kale
If you enjoyed this recipe for Kale Salad, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Kale Salad with Apples
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head kale
- 1 medium sweet apple diced
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped walnuts optional
- For the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, oil, mustard, and syrup and season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Remove the tough stem from the kale and chopped into bite-size pieces.
- Add the dressing to the kale and massage into the leaves. Yes, rub that dressing into those leaves. It will cause the kale to infuse with flavor and be easier to digest and softer to chew over time. Refrigerate for 2-8 hours.
- Before serving the kale salad, toss with the walnuts, apples, raisins, and cranberries.