Brussels Sprouts Salad is an easy, healthy, simple recipe that truly allows Brussels Sprouts to shine in their natural form. Fresh Brussels sprouts are shaved and then tossed with a simple lemon dressing that infuses them with a fresh, bright flavor while the acidity from the dressing tenderizes the Brussels Sprouts. Finished with ribbons of Parmesan cheese, this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad is a winner and could not be simpler to make!
This easy salad only requires 4 ingredients and takes minutes to prepare. It is a perfect salad to serve for Thanksgiving Dinner or just to pair with a simple entree like Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu or Instant Pot Pork Chops.
Why this Salad Works
Brussels sprouts are members of the cabbage family and have a similar texture and flavor to green cabbage.
And just as many people don't care for cooked cabbage, many people don't care for cooked Brussels Sprouts, as both have a reputation of being soft and mushy after cooking. Unless you are making Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts, then they are crispy, crunchy, perfection!
But raw Brussels sprouts are a different story.
Just like cabbage shines in homemade coleslaw, Brussels sprouts shine when shaved and used as the base of a salad.
The sprouts are crunchy, sharp, and incredibly fresh. When tossed with a simple lemon dressing and copious amounts of Parmesan cheese, Brussels sprouts are transformed into an absolutely delicious salad that even picky eaters enjoy!
Because this dressing is made with only 4 ingredients, be sure to use quality extra virgin olive oil and fresh lemons, not jarred lemon juice, for the best flavor.
Step One: Shave Brussels Sprouts
The trick to making a really good Brussels sprouts salad is to thinly shave the sprouts. This will let the dressing coat the Brussels sprouts and break the sprouts down to become tender.
You can buy them pre-shredded, shred them in a food processor, or even slice them thinly by hand.
Step Two: Prepare Dressing
This is one of the simplest dressings. It is just salt, pepper, fresh lemon juice, and olive oil. This Lemon Dressing is fresh, bright, and cuts through the sharp flavors of the Brussels Sprouts perfectly. The acidity of the lemons also helps to break down the Brussels sprouts so that they are tender.
Step Three: Assemble & Refrigerate
Toss the dressing over the sprouts and toss well. Just like homemade coleslaw, it is best to let this salad marinate for a few hours before serving. I find a minimum of 30 minutes to be best, but up to 24 hours work as well.
Step Four: Serve
Right before serving, generously shave Parmesan cheese over the salad and toss again. The Parmesan finishes this salad perfectly. It adds the right amount of salty bite and a bit of creaminess to this salad needs.
Be sure to use freshly shaved Parmesan--it makes a world of difference in the quality of flavor. You can grate the cheese using a Microplane or shave off larger strips of the cheese using a vegetable peeler. This is the method I prefer, as it reminds me of the Parmesan on a Caesar Salad.
- Be sure to use fresh lemons, good quality extra virgin olive oil, and Parmesan cheese for the best salad.
- Remove any outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts that are bruised or have black spots on them before shaving for the salad.
- Feel free to omit the Parmesan for a vegan version of this salad.
- This salad will keep for up to 24 hours before the lemon dressing begins to break down the Brussels Sprouts too much and the salad gets watery.
More Salad Recipes
- Spinach Avocado Salad
- Tossed Greek Salad
- Winter Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
If you tried this easy Brussels Sprouts Salad please be sure to leave a comment and review below! I love to hear from you!
Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts
- 1 large lemon
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- Wash and dry the Brussels sprouts. Trim off the woody ends of the sprouts and thinly shave or shred the Brussels Sprouts into slices no thicker than ⅛ inch.
- Prepare the lemon dressing by zesting the lemon and then juicing. Add the juice and zest to a bowl and whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts with the dressing until evenly coated.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Right before serving, grate or shred the Parmesan cheese to the Brussels Sprouts salad and toss.