You are in for a treat with this Easy Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad. It is bright, fresh, crunchy, and incredibly delicious. Not to mention this simple salad recipe is made with just 6 ingredients--and that includes the salt and pepper!
If you grew up eating boiled Brussels sprouts like I did, you may have thought you hated them. However, after being introduced to Roasted Brussels Sprouts, I quickly saw just how irresistibly tasting these little cabbages can be.
It turns out, Brussels Sprouts are also insanely delicious when served raw, as this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad proves.
Reasons To Love Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- The Easiest Salad Recipe. Using a food processor to shave the Brussels sprouts it takes about 5 minutes to make this salad. And no chopping is required thanks to the food processor!
- Minimal Ingredients. This recipe for Brussels sprouts salad is made with only 6 ingredients, but each of those ingredients works together to create a masterpiece.
- Incredible Texture and Flavor. The contrast between the crisp, slightly bitter Brussels sprouts, the bright, fresh lemon dressing, and the salty parmesan is pure magic. This salad is crisp, tangy, fresh, rich, and bright.
- Packed with Fiber and Nutrients. According to Healthline, Brussels sprouts are low in calories, yet high in fiber, vitamins K, vitamin C, and minerals.
Notes on Ingredients
Because this Brussels sprouts salad is made with only 6 ingredients, you really want to ensure you pay attention to the quality of ingredients for the most delicious version of this shaved Brussels sprouts salad.
- Brussels Sprouts: Purchase fresh bulk Brussels sprouts or pre-shedded. If purchasing whole Brussels sprouts, look for ones whose outer leaves are bright green and have minimal bruising.
- Lemons: You will use both the zest and juice of fresh lemons. Do not be tempted to substitute the fresh lemon juice with jarred lemon juice.
- Olive Oil: Be sure to use a good quality extra virgin olive oil for this salad, as it will add, not detract from the simple flavors.
- Parmesan: Be sure to use freshly shaved Parmesan cheese as it makes a world of difference in the quality of flavor.
Tips for the Best Brussels Sprouts Salad
This recipe is super easy to make, but the following tips are provided to help you achieve perfect results. You will find the detailed instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Thinly shave the Brussels sprouts. The trick to making a really good Brussels sprouts salad is to thinly shave the sprouts. This will let the dressing coat the Brussels sprouts and break the vegetable down, allowing it to become tender. The easiest way to do this is to use a food processor fitted with a slicing blade.
- Add both the zest and juice of the lemons to the dressing. Don't overlook adding the lemon zest to the dressing. It is packed with intense flavor and will give the most bang for your buck in terms of flavor.
- Marinate the Brussels sprouts. After tossing the dressing with the shaved Brussels sprouts, it is best to cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes prior to serving. This allows the Brussels sprouts to become tender and soak up the lemon flavor from the dressing.
- Use a vegetable peeler to create chunks of parmesan cheese. The large chunks of fresh parmesan add the right amount of salty bite and a bit of creaminess to this salad.
After tossing the Brussels Sprouts with the lemon dressing, it is best to enjoy this salad within 24 hours. After 24 hours, the lemon dressing begins to break down the Brussels Sprouts, the salad will become watery and the Brussels sprouts brown. Once you add the parmesan cheese, this salad is best enjoyed immediately.
Brussels Sprouts Salad is an easy, yet impressive meal that makes a great addition to your holiday meal alongside Roasted Turkey, pairs beautifully with a ribeye steak, or a simple weeknight meal like Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu, Instant Pot Pork Chops, or Baked Rotini.
More Delicious Salad Recipes
- Spinach Avocado Salad
- BLT Salad
- Kale Apple Salad
- Copycat Panera Greek Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
If you tried this easy Brussels Sprouts Salad please be sure to leave a comment and review below! I love to hear from you!
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts
- 2 small lemons or 1 large lemon
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese shaved into ribbons
- Wash and dry the Brussels sprouts. Trim off the woody ends of the sprouts, remove the outer leaves if browned, and thinly shave or shred the Brussels Sprouts into slices no thicker than ⅛ inch. If using a food processor, use the slicing blade.
- Prepare the lemon dressing by zesting one lemon into a small mixing bowl. After being zested, cut the lemon in half and juice the lemons over the mixing bowl. Add the salt and pepper, and whisk the olive oil into the lemon juice.
- In a large mixing bowl or serving dish, toss the Brussels sprouts with the dressing until evenly coated.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
- Right before serving, shave ribbons or chunks of parmesan cheese over the Brussels Sprouts salad and toss. Alternatively, add a generous amount of grated parmesan.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed and serve.