Put something on a stick and suddenly a meal becomes more fun. Do you know why? I am not sure the reason, but I know it works!!
Now, let’s be honest, waffle typically need no help in the scarfing down department. However, I added fresh fruit, sweet chicken sausage along with a dip that is made up of mainly Greek yogurt. Some of those items, may or may not need a bit of persuading when it comes to devouring. And when all of this is eaten together, it becomes one perfectly balanced meal that both big kids and little kids will enjoy! And a much healthier meal than waffles drenched in maple syrup (which don’t get me wrong, is delicious!)
This recipe can be modified and changed up in more ways than I can count. I started with my Whole Wheat Waffle recipe. You can use your favorite frozen waffle or gluten-free version if you desire. I will say that my waffle recipe is made of whole grains and naturally sweetened, so it is worth making if you can find the time. They are made with the kind of carbs you want in your diet–100% whole wheat and naturally sweetened. As for fruit–use whatever your produce drawer holds. I choose pineapple, strawberries, and grapes because they all pair well with the dip and are currently in season. But apples, peaches, kiwi, banana, etc are all great options. And the sausage is up to you, but adds protein and that savory bite that sweet dishes beckon for. I used Al Fresco Chicken Maple Sausage link, because it is such a high quality product. You can omit or sub out for any breakfast sausage you like.
Now for the dip. This is a MUST for kids. What kid doesn’t love to dip their food? I choose to use plain Greek yogurt mixed with maple syrup and vanilla. It is simple and healthy. I also drizzled a bit of additional maple syrup over each serving of the dip to further entice the kids! Feel free to use any version of yogurt you like–just stick to unsweetened if you are adding maple syrup–or you will have too much sugar to have a balanced meal.
- 6 prepared waffles
- 3 links Maple Chicken Breakfast Sausage
- 1 cup grapes
- 1 cup chunks of fresh pineapple
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup maple syrup, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 large wooden dowels
- Toast waffles. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Cut sausage links into 1 inch slices. Brown in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Alternate pieces of waffles, sausage, and fruit on each skewer.
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Drizzle over the remaining syrup over the yogurt right before serving.
AMAZING Waffle creations from my friends at Sunday Supper. Pretty sure I need to try them all!
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Luau Egg Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet and Spicy Pecan Shredded Beef Waffles by Family Foodie
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.