This homemade French Onion Chip Dip is the BEST chip dip ever! Made with sour cream and a few dried herbs, this dip comes together in minutes and tastes better than any store-bought chip dip.
The Best Chip Dip
Every party or football game needs chips and dip and this easy sour cream chip dip is simple perfection that everyone devours.
In fact, chips and dip were a part of every football game I watched as a child. My parents purchased a French Onion Chip Dip from a local convenience store and while it was loaded with preservatives, MSG, and sodium, we all loved it!
Now, we make our own version of French Onion Chip Dip, using my homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix. It tastes just as good as the original but is made with ingredients you can actually pronounce.
Not only is this recipe for chip dip incredibly easy, it really is the best dip for potato chips.
Ingredients for Homemade Chip Dip
- Sour Cream: For best results, use regular all-natural sour cream. You can tell you have a good-quality sour cream if the only ingredient listed is cultured cream.
- Spices: Instead of using store-bought dry onion soup mix, which is loaded with preservatives and sodium, it is best to add in your own dried spices which will replicate the flavor perfectly and leave those pesky other ingredients on the shelf. These dried spices are probably ones you have in your pantry at all times and are exactly what you find in my recipe for Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix.
How To Make Chip Dip
It really does not get any easier than this recipe for chip dip.
- Combine the sour cream with seasonings or ¼ cup of dried onion soup mix.
- While you can serve this dip immediately, if you have time, refrigerate the dip for 30 minutes prior to serving to allow the flavors to really come together.
- Obvioulsy you can serve the dip with potato chips. However, this chip dip is also delicious with crackers and vegetables.
How To Make Low Fat Chip Dip
Do not be tempted to use fat-free sour cream for this chip dip, as the flavor will just not be as good. Plus fat-free sour cream has tons of added stabilizers and ingredients.
However, you can make a lower-fat chip dip by replacing ½ cup of the sour cream with plain nonfat Greek yogurt.
More Chips and Dip Recipes
If you enjoyed this Onion Chip Dip, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
French Onion Chip Dip
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 ½ tablespoons dried onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon celery seed
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sour cream with the spices. Mix until everything is well combined.
- If time permits, cover the dip and refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to serving to allow the flavors to develop.
- Serve the dip with chips, crackers or veggies.