This easy homemade chip dip is made with sour cream and dried spices to create a copycat version of a store-bought French Onion Chip Dip in minutes.
While this sour cream chip dip is of course fabulous served with potato chips and pretzels, I also love serving it with fresh vegetables and oven fries.
The Best Chip Dip Recipe
Everybody needs a good chip dip recipe. From parties to watching football games to just snacking at home, chips and dip are one of the most irresistible combinations.
Instead of purchasing a container of French Onion Chip Dip from the grocery store that is loaded with preservatives, MSG, and excessive sodium, I make my own homemade chip dip using just a few simple ingredients. It replicates the classic flavor of sour cream chip dip but is made with ingredients you can actually pronounce.
Not only is this recipe for chip dip incredibly easy, but you likely have all the ingredients on hand to whip it up right now.
Ingredients for Homemade Chip Dip
- Sour Cream: For the best results, use regular all-natural sour cream. You can tell you have a good-quality sour cream if the only ingredient listed is cultured cream.
- Spices: This recipe calls for salt, celery seed, parsley, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried onion flakes, and pepper, which is exactly what you would find in my recipe for Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix.
How To Make Chip Dip
- Combine the sour cream with salt, celery seed, parsley, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried onion flakes, and pepper, and mix until everything is well distributed.
- While you can serve this dip immediately, I recommend covering the chip dip and refrigerating it for at least 30 minutes prior to serving. This will allow the flavors time to develop.
Serving Suggestions for Chip Dip
Serve this onion chip dip with potato chips, vegetables, pretzels crackers, pita chips, and french fries. The options are truly endless!
When serving this dip at a party, keep in mind that sour cream based dips should not be left out for longer than 2 hours at room temperature.
Lower-Fat Chip Dip
Do not be tempted to use fat-free sour cream for this chip dip, as the flavor will just not be as good. Plus fat-free sour cream has tons of added stabilizers and ingredients.
However, you can make a lower-fat chip dip by replacing ½ cup of the sour cream with plain nonfat Greek yogurt.
Homemade Chip Dip can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Just give it a stir to reincorporate before serving.
More Chip and Dip Recipes
If you enjoyed this Onion Chip Dip, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Easy Homemade Chip Dip
- 8 ounces full-fat sour cream
- 2 ½ tablespoons dried onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon celery seed
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sour cream with the spices. Mix until everything is well combined.
- If time permits, cover the dip and refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to serving to allow the flavors to develop.
- Serve the dip with chips, crackers or veggies.
This recipe was originally shared in 2018.