This homemade French Onion Chip Dip is the BEST chip dip ever! This sour cream chip dip is flavored perfectly with dried herbs for a dip that is minutes!
Every party or football game needs chips and dip and this easy sour cream chip dip made with dried onion soup mix is simple perfection that everyone devours!
My parents both have a weakness for French Onion Chip Dip.
I remember growing up there was one version at a local convenience store they always bought. It was a part of every football game I watched growing up and there was always chips to go with it.
It was loaded with preservatives, MSG, and sodium--but man, we all loved it.
Now, we make our own version of French Onion Dip, using my homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix, so we can still indulge in homemade chip dip--just without as much guilt.
Not only is this recipe for chip dip incredibly easy, it really is the best dip for plain potato chips.
How To Make Chip Dip
- Mix ¼ cup dry onion soup mix with 1 cup all natural sour cream. Be sure to use a sour cream that has just cultured cream as the ingredient for best results.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate for 1 hour for chip dip flavors to come together.
- Serve with chips, crackers, or vegetables.
How To Make Low Fat Chip Dip
Do not be tempted to use fat-free sour cream for this chip dip, as the flavor will just not be as good. Plus fat-free sour cream has tons of added stabilizers and ingredients.
However, for a lower-fat chip dip, use ½ cup plain Greek yogurt, ½ cup sour cream plus ¼ cup dried onion soup mix.
More Chips and Dip Recipes
- The Most Amazing Taco Dip
- Easy Corn Salsa
- Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Lightened Up Easy Hot Corn Dip
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip
If you enjoyed this Onion Chip Dip, please leave a comment and review below.
French Onion Chip Dip
- 8 ounces sour cream
- ¼ cup dried onion soup mix
- Mix together the sour cream and onion soup mix together, until well combined.
- This chip dip is ready to serve immediately, but tastes best after 1 hour or refrigeration.
- Serve the dip with chips, crackers or veggies.