Egg Muffin Cups are made with cheesy eggs baked into crispy, salty sliced ham, creating an easy, grab-and-go breakfast.
This simple recipe for Egg Cups makes a healthy breakfast that will keep you going for hours!
Made with creamy, cheesy eggs baked into salty, savory ham cups, these delicious egg muffins can be prepped in advance and customized based on your preferences.
They are naturally low in carbs, high in protein, super easy to make, and a breakfast everyone enjoys. Sounds like a perfect breakfast recipe to me!
Notes on Key Ingredients
You only need 5 ingredients to make these egg cups; thinly sliced ham, eggs, salt, milk, and cheese. Adding additional fillings like olives, veggies, spinach, etc are optional but encouraged.
- Ham: For the ham, use thinly sliced deli ham that can easily be molded into the muffin cups.
- Milk: Any variety of milk or cream works.
- Cheese: use any flavor/variety of cheese you like.
How to Make Egg Muffin Cups
- Start by layering sliced ham into the cups of a muffin tin. You may need more than one slice, depending on the size of your ham slices. A silicone muffin pan works best to prevent the ham and eggs from sticking to the pan. If not using a silicone pan, grease well.
- Sprinkle the ham cups with any filling combination you like. I typically do a variety of options to make something everyone enjoys.
- Mix eggs with milk, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Divide the egg mixture between each ham cup.
- Bake until the eggs are set.
This recipe for egg cups can easily be doubled or tripled and stored in the refrigerator or freezer for a quick option for a grab-and-go breakfast.
Once the egg cups are baked as directed, allow them to cool to room temperature. Place into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. To serve, heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.
Alternatively, you can freeze these egg cups for up to 3 months. Once baked and cooled, place the cups on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Transfer to a freezer-safe container or bag. To serve, remove from the freezer and heat in the microwave on a heat-safe plate for 1 minute or in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes, or until just warmed through.
While delicious when made with just ham, cheese, and eggs, the options for fillings for these Egg Cups are endless.
My favorite combinations are Mediterranean, Western, and three cheese varieties. But use your imagination and taste preference to dictate how you prepare the filling.
- Mediterranean Ham and Egg Cups add in chopped spinach, chopped grape tomatoes, Feta Cheese, and chopped Kalamative Olives.
- Western Style Ham and Egg Cups add in shredded Cheddar Cheese, diced fresh onions, and diced baby sweet peppers.
- Three Cheese Ham and Egg Cups add in shredded Gouda Cheese, Swiss Cheese, and parmesan cheese.
More Make-Ahead Breakfast Recipes
- Slow Cooker Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- Homemade Egg McMuffin Sandwiches
- Overnight Oats
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
If you tried this recipe for Egg Muffin Cups, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Egg Muffin Cups
For Egg Cups
- 6-12 slices deli ham
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk or cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line each cup of a 6-cup muffin tin with 1-2 slices of thinly sliced ham to create a cup.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and salt and pepper, and cheese together. Divide this mixture evenly between each muffin cup.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until eggs are fully set.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, remove from muffin tin, and serve.
This post was originally shared in 2017 but has been updated in 2021 with new tips.