Ham and Egg Cups are an easy grab-and-go, make-ahead breakfast. They are made with ham slices that have been pressed into muffin cups and then filled with a delicious combination of fillings and cheesy eggs before being baked to perfection.
This simple recipe makes a healthy breakfast that will keep you going for hours! Serve alone for a low-carb breakfast, but is also fabulous served with a side of fresh fruit and a toasted English Muffin if you are not following a low-carb diet.
Easy Low-Carb Breakfast
Ham and Egg Cups make a perfect breakfast.
Just like Overnight Oats, this recipe for Ham and Egg Cups can be made ahead and the flavors can be customized based on your preferences.
They are naturally low in carbs, high in protein, super easy to make, and a breakfast everyone enjoys. Sounds like a perfect breakfast recipe to me!
Notes on Key Ingredients
You only need 5 ingredients to make Ham and Egg Cups--thinly sliced ham, eggs, salt, milk, and cheese. Adding additional fillings like olives, veggies, spinach, etc are optional but encouraged.
- Ham: For the ham, use thinly sliced deli ham that can easily be molded into the muffin cups.
- Milk: Any variety of milk or cream works.
- Cheese: use any flavor/variety of cheese you like. If you are adding additional ingredients to your ham and egg cups, think of selecting a cheese that pairs well with those flavors. For example, if I am adding olives and spinach, I use feta cheese. If I am adding peppers and onions, I add cheddar cheese.
How to Make Ham and Egg Cups
- Start by layering in ham into a muffin tin. You may need more than one slice, depending on the size of your ham slices. A silicone muffin pan works best to prevent the ham and eggs from sticking to the pan. If not using a silicone pan, grease well.
- Sprinkle the ham cups with any filling combination you like. I typically do a variety of options to make something everyone enjoys.
- Mix eggs with milk, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Divide the egg mixture between each ham cup.
- Bake until the eggs are set.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled and stored in the refrigerator or freezer for a quick option for a grab-and-go breakfast.
Once the ham and egg cups are baked as directed, allow them to cool to room temperature. Place into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. To serve, heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.
Alternatively, you can freeze these egg cups for up to 3 months. Once baked and cooled, place the cups on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Transfer to a freezer-safe container or bag. To serve, remove from the freezer and heat in the microwave on a heat-safe plate for 1 minute or in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes, or until just warmed through.
While delicious when made with just ham, cheese, and eggs, the options for fillings for these Egg Cups are endless.
My favorite combinations are Mediterranean, Western, and three cheese varieties. But use your imagination and taste preference to dictate how you prepare the filling.
- Mediterranean Ham and Egg Cups add in chopped spinach, chopped grape tomatoes, Feta Cheese, and chopped kalamative Olives.
- Western Style Ham and Egg Cups add in shredded Cheddar Cheese, diced fresh onions, and diced baby sweet peppers.
- Three Cheese Ham and Egg Cups add in shredded Gouda Cheese, Swiss Cheese, and parmesan cheese.
More Make-Ahead Breakfast Recipes
- Slow Cooker Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- Homemade Egg McMuffin Sandwiches
- Overnight Oats
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
No matter what variety you choose or whom you serve these Egg Cups to, they will be LOVED! Bonus is that they are healthy, easy, affordable, and able to be made ahead--this busy mom's ULTIMATE kind of recipe.
Baked Ham and Egg Breakfast Cups 3 Ways
For Egg Cups
- 6 slices deli ham
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- additonal add-ins of your choice
Mediterranean Variety (per 6 egg cups)
- 2-3 tablespoons Kalamataive Olives chopped
- ½ cup Baby Spinach chopped
- 3 tablespoons feta Cheese
- 3 tablespoons grape tomatoes diced
For Western Variety (per 6 Egg Cups)
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- ¼ cup baby sweet peppers chopped
- ¼ cup diced onions
For Three Cheese Variety (per 6 Egg Cups)
- ¼ cup Gouda cheese shredded
- ¼ cup Swiss cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a 6 cup muffin tin with 6 slices of ham.
- Sprinkle each ham cup with desired/optional filling.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and salt and pepper. Pour evenly between muffin cups.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until eggs are fully set.
- Allow to cool and serve with toasted English muffin and fresh fruit.
This post was originally shared in 2017 but has been updated in 2021 with new tips.