Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw: Sweet and spicy shredded pork makes the perfect base for tacos. Finished with a fresh Mexican Slaw. Instant Pot Directions as well.
Who doesn’t love a good crock-pot recipe?
Especially in the hot summer when you just have to set it, forget it and keep the heat out of the kitchen!
What about tacos? Yep, another favorite of the masses.
Throw the two together and you have a match sure to please everyone and my recipe for Pork Carnitas.
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw
What could be easier, than a set it and forget it slow cooker recipe that turns out this flavorful?
NOT MUCH in my book.
The beer and the orange juice work together with the spices to add such great flavor to the crock-pot carnitameat. And while I love to serve it on tacos with fresh slaw, it is great as is for tacos, for sandwiches, on pizza, for burrito bowls–you name it.
You better pin this Pork Carnita recipe, share on your Facebook page, book-mark it, print it or whatever you need to do to keep it at your disposable.
It will be a new go-to in your meal rotations. It is so easy, so delicious, versatile for allergies, makes a ton, and is sure to be a family favorite.
Win-win!! And win some more 🙂
And if Carnitas aren’t your flavor profile, give these Easy Crock Pot Cuban Pork Tacos a try from my friend over at Cotter Crunch.
As if a juicy Pork Carnita was not enough, this recipe is made complete with a fresh Mexican Slaw.
It is creamy, cool, spicy, chewy, tender and crunchy all in a perfect hand-held meal. So amazing!!
Follow these few simple steps and have an easy dinner working in a matter of minutes. And then no matter what your dayholds, you will have a scrumptious dinner waiting for you when your feet land home.
Tips on Crock Pot Pork Tacos:
- If you need these to be Gluten-Free Carnitas, just omit beer and use chicken stock and serve on corn tortillas. You can even use these homemade corn tortillas from Foolproof Living.
- If pork is not your thing, use an equal amount of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs and cut cooking time to 6 hours on high and 3-4 hours on low.
- To make Instant Pot Carnitas: Sear pork on each side using Saute function on IP. Add remaining ingredients and set to meat function, sealed, and time for 45 minutes (high pressure). This will ensure tender meat. It can be done in 30 minutes, but just not as tender.
- The Mexican Slaw is an easy, tasty way to jazz up these pork tacos, but feel free to top with traditional taco toppings instead.
Pork Carnitas for the Crock-Pot with Mexican Slaw
Slow Cooker Pork Tacos jazzed up with a fresh tangy slaw.
- 2 ½ lb pork loin roast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 12 fluid oz beer (or chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 12 whole grain or gluten free tortillas
Heat the oil in a large stock-pot over high heat. Sear the pork roast for 1-2 minutes per side. (Skip this step if you are really in a time crunch.)
Place the pork into a crock pot. Combine the beer (or stock), orange juice, salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, chili and cayenne together and pour over the meat. Set the crock pot to low for 10-12 hours or on high 5-7 hour. Shred the meat with two forks and mix into the juices that were rendered while cooking.
To make the Mexican Slaw: Stir together sour cream and Greek yogurt with juice of 1 lime, a handful of chopped cilantro, 1 tsp cumin, and salt and pepper. Stir in shredded cabbage. (If you like creamier toppings for your tacos, use more sour cream and yogurt).
I like to make the slaw after placing the meat into the crock-pot to give the slaw time to develop flavors. But it can be made last minute.
Serve the meat on a tortilla topped with the slaw.