If you love Panera Sandwiches, you will LOVE this Copycat Panera Roasted Turkey, Apple, and Cheddar Sandwich! Made with slices of roasted turkey, sweet apples, and sharp cheddar cheese on homemade cranberry walnut bread, this is the best recipe for a turkey sandwich!
The Best Turkey Sandwich
I loved Panera's seasonal Turkey Apple Sandwich, made with tender turkey, sweet apples, and sharp cheddar.
While Panera no longer features this sandwich on their menu, you can easily recreate a similar masterpiece at home.
This sandwich is filled with flavor and texture. It truly is my favorite way to enjoy a turkey sandwich.
Notes on Ingredients Needed
- Turkey: Leftover Roasted Turkey, Brined Turkey, Instant Pot Turkey Breast, or deli turkey will work in this sandwich.
- Bread: Cranberry Walnut Bread is an amazing base for this sandwich. It is chewy and the flavors of cranberry and walnut make the sandwich pop. However, whole wheat bread or store-bought grain bread is also an option.
- Sharp White Cheddar Cheese: White cheddar pairs amazingly well with sweet apples, as it is sharp and flavorful. Muenster or Sharp Cheddar work if you do not have white cheddar cheese.
- Gala Apples: Sweet, firm apples are a must for this sandwich. Gala is a great option, as is Honeycrisp, Fuji, or Golden Delicious. I do not recommend Red Delicious or Granny Smith for this turkey sandwich.
- Honey Mustard: Tangy, sharp, and a bit sweet, the honey mustard adds just the right zing to this sandwich. I make my own homemade honey mustard by mixing together 3 parts Dijon mustard to 1 part honey, but store-bought mustard is a perfectly fine option.
- Red Onions: Sliced onions were not a part of the original Panera turkey sandwich, but I love the sharpness they add to the sandwich. They are a great contrast to sweet apples.
How to make the Best Turkey Sandwich
- Spread two thick slices of bread with honey mustard.
- Layer one slice of the bread with turkey then top with apples and cheddar.
- Finish the sandwich by topping the cheese with thinly sliced onions and lettuce and the other slice of bread.
- Cut in half and serve immediately.
More Copycat Panera Recipes
If you enjoyed this Turkey Sandwich, I would love for you to leave a review and comment below.
Copycat Panera Turkey Sandwich
- 8 slices Cranberry Walnut bread
- 4 ounces of sharp white cheddar cheese sliced
- 1 gala apple thinly sliced (or other sweet apple)
- 8 pieces of lettuce about size of bread
- 8-10 ounces thick sliced roasted turkey breast
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
Homemade Honey Mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Make the Honey mustard by mixing together the honey and mustard. Spread on all 8 slices of bread.
- Layer 4 slices of bread with the turkey, apple, cheese, onion, and lettuce. Place remaining 4 slices of bread on top of sandwiches and slice. Serve immediately.
- Apples: Use sweet, firm apples, like Gala, Honeycrisp, Fuji or Golden Delicious.
- Bread: Use whole wheat bread or a whole grain bread in place of cranberry walnut bread.
- Feel free to leave off the onion for a more authentic Panera sandwich.
Originally published in September 2017, updated in November 2019.