Copycat Panera Roasted Turkey, Apple, and Cheddar Sandwich: Slices of roasted turkey, sweet apples, and sharp cheddar cheese are piled high on homemade cranberry walnut bread with a tangy honey mustard. Perfect use for leftover turkey or rotisserie chicken even!
I fell in love with Panera’s Turkey and Apple Sandwich on a fall day after a long doctor’s appointment.
After 6 hours of doctor appointments for Cystic Fibrosis, I was facing a 3 hour drive home from my clinic. I had left my house nearly 10 hours earlier, and even though it was a relatively good appointment, I was EXHAUSTED! And hungry.
I wanted a sandwich. A turkey and cheese sandwich. An odd craving, but it was what I wanted and I was bound and determined to find a Panera or local grocery shop that I could get a good quality turkey and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread.
The Best Turkey Sandwich Recipe
My craving was satisfied when I stopped at Panera and ordered their seasonal Roast Turkey with Apple and Cheddar. got to
This turkey sandwich had slices of apple, sharp cheddar cheese served on whole grain cranberry bread.
I didn’t know how much THAT was the actual turkey sandwich my tired body was yearning for until I saw it.
And when I bit into Panera’s Turkey Sandwich, perfection!
Sweet, tart, savory and filling–it was everything a turkey sandwich should be.
But as much as I love Panera, my bank account does not want to pay $10 per sandwich.
So I decided to recreate their masterpiece at home.
And I was successful–the sandwich at home was AMAZING (maybe even better than Panera!)
How to make the Best Homemade Turkey Sandwich
This turkey sandwich is really quite easy to make when you have the right ingredients on hand.
Ingredients For Apple Turkey Sandwich
- Leftover Roasted Turkey or Rotisserie Chicken
- Whole Wheat Cranberry Walnut Bread, which I highly suggest, but you can use store bought bread as well
- Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- Gala Apples
- Red Onions
- Honey Mustard
Homemade Honey Mustard
You can easily purchase prepared honey mustard, but it is super simple to make a home.
- Mix together Dijon Mustard and Honey, using a 3 to 1 ratio.
- 3 parts mustard to 1 part honey
Homemade Turkey Sandwich
- Spread two slices of bread with honey mustard.
- Layer one slice of bread with turkey.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Add thin slices of onion and apple.
- Top with lettuce.
- Season with tiny bit of salt and pepper.
- Top with reserved slice of bread.
- Slice into halves and enjoy!
This is the BEST turkey sandwich and is a MUST–especially with leftover Turkey!
Leftover Turkey Recipes
Roasted Turkey Sandwich
Copycat Panera Roasted Turkey, Apple, and Cheddar Sandwich
- 8 slices Cranberry Walnut bread
- 4 ounces of sharp white cheddar cheese sliced
- 1 gala apple thinly sliced (or other sweet apple)
- 8 pieces of lettuce about size of bread
- 8-10 ounces thick sliced roasted turkey breast
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
Homemade Honey Mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Make the Honey mustard by mixing together the honey and mustard. Spread on all 8 slices of bread.
- Layer 4 slices of bread with the turkey, apple, cheese, onion, and lettuce. Place remaining 4 slices of bread on top of sandwiches and slice. Serve.