This Easy Poppy Seed Dressing is sweet and slightly tangy and a perfect complement to so many salads! It is a healthy homemade dressing that will liven up your salads without any guilt!
A friend of mine makes the best Poppy Seed Dressing. It is super creamy, sweet, tangy, and full of flavor. But it is also full of sugar and mayo.
I have lightened it up and kept all the delicious flavors in this version of Poppy Seed Dressing recipe. And for the record, my friend now only makes MY version!
It is a simple salad dressing that comes together quickly and pairs beautifully with spring and summer salads. It is balanced with sweet and tangy flavors and a few savory notes. It also happens to be an oil-free salad dressing.
- Greek Yogurt: The mayonnaise is replaced with plain Greek yogurt. Use any fat percentage you like.
- Honey: Just a bit to sweeten the dressing. If you do not prefer honey, use granulated sugar but dissolve the sugar into the vinegar before whisking into the yogurt to prevent the dressing from getting grainy.
- Shallot: The secret to the BEST poppy seed dressing is a little bit of grated shallot. The mild onion flavor of the shallot helps to balance out the sweetness of the dressing.
- Mustard: The mustard will give the dressing tang and help emulsify it together.
- Vinegar: Use apple cider vinegar, champagne vinegar, or white wine vinegar
- Poppy Seeds: Poppy seeds add a nice texture to the dressing. Use any leftover poppyseeds for Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins or Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole.
How to Prepare Poppy Seed Dressing
- Whisk together the vinegar, honey, Greek yogurt, mustard, poppy seeds, grated shallot, and salt together..
- Using a Microplane, grate 1 teaspoon of shallot into the dressing.
- Taste to adjust salt.
- Homemade Poppy Seed Dressing will last in the fridge in a sealed container for about 10 days. You will want to give the dressing a good shake before using on salads before each use.
- Use the dressing on fruit salads, chicken salads, spinach salad, mixed greens, etc.
More Salad Dressing Recipes
Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1/3 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon shallot grated
- Whisk together Greek yogurt, mustard, vinegar, honey, poppy seeds, and salt.
- Grate in shallot using a microplane and then whisk to incorporate.
- Store in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- Feel free to use mayonnaise in place of Greek yogurt.
- White wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar can be used in place of champagne vinegar.
- In place of the shallot, feel free to use 1/2 teaspoon onion powder. It will not be the same, but it works to add depth to the salad dressing.
- If you do not prefer honey, use granulated sugar but dissolve the sugar into the vinegar before whisking into the yogurt to prevent the dressing from getting grainy.
- Homemade Poppy Seed Dressing will last in the fridge in a sealed container for about 10 days.