You will be the hit of the party with this easy Rotel Sausage Dip. Creamy, spicy, hearty, and perfect for dipping--this Sausage Cream Cheese Dip is always a party favorite!
Rotel Sausage Dip
What is a party without a good dip?
I have been known to stand around the spread of food eating more than my fair share of chips and dip. This Creamy Sausage Dip happens to be one I can just never get enough of! In fact, in my experience, everyone seems to go back for another scoop, or two....or ten when I serve this dip.
It is creamy, spicy, hearty, and full of flavor. It reminds me of Velveeta Queso, just minus the processed cheese.
Sausage Cream Cheese Dip is one of my favorite go-to's for parties because:
- Only 3 ingredients.
- Super EASY to make.
- Can be kept warm in a small slow cooker.
- It is incredibly delicious.
There are only 3 ingredients in this simple sausage dip. And while they are not necessarily healthy, they are much more wholesome than processed cheese dips--and much more tasty!
- Sausage: Use ground bulk sausage. I personally like organic turkey or chicken sausage to cut back on fat, calories, and preservatives, but you can use any brand that your family likes. Just be sure you select one that is not a breakfast sausage or the flavor will be off in the final product. Italian sausage CAN be used, but it too will change the flavor up a bit. I recommend sausage over ground meat, because the sausage has been seasoned already, which cuts down on the ingredients and work needed to make this dip.
- Rotel Tomatoes: Diced tomatoes with green chilies gives this dip all of it's flavor and spiciness! You can use mild, spicy, or original to control the heat level of this dip.
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese gives this dip it's creaminess. Use full fat or ⅓rd less fat, but do not use fat free cream cheese, as it will not melt into the sausage dip the same way.
How to Make Sausage Dip
The beauty of this recipe is that not only does it not contain many ingredients, it comes together with minimal effort. It is is as simple as browning the sausage and adding the cream cheese and Rotel tomatoes and cooking until the cream cheese is warm and melted into the dip.
You can prepare this dip on the stove or the slow cooker. Personally, I prefer the slow cooker method. Once my dip is prepared, I can switch the crock pot to warm while entertaining, as this dip has the best consistency and taste when served warm.
Stove Top Directions
To prepare Rotel Sausage Dip entirely on the stove, first brown the sausage. Once the sausage is browned, drain off any excess grease. Add in cream cheese and rotel tomatoes and cook until the cream cheese is melted and creamy. Transfer the dip to a serving dish and serve warm.
Pro-Tip: Remember to use softened cream cheese and cube it up before adding to your skillet--it will melt much more evenly and not be at all chunky.
Slow Cooker Directions
I love to use my slow cooker to finish this recipe, as the sausage dip is best served warm and I can leave out for a party without worrying about the dip getting cold and losing it's creamy consistency.
To prepare in the crock-pot, brown the sausage on the stove and then add to a slow cooker. Add the cubed cream cheese and rotel tomatoes and place the lid on the slow cooker. Turn to low and let heat through, stirring every 15 minutes. It should only take 30-45 minutes for the cream cheese to melt into the dip. Once melted, turn the slow cooker to keep warm and serve. The dip will keep on warm for up to 3-4 hours.
Pro-Tip: Speed up the process by using the stove-top method and then transferring the sausage dip to the slow cooker once prepared. Place on keep warm to serve.
More Party Friendly Dips
- Easy Cream Cheese Taco Dip
- Texas Caviar
- French Onion Chip Dip
- Mexican Hot Corn Dip
- Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip
Rotel Sausage Dip
- 1 pound bulk ground sausage turkey, chicken or pork
- 1 (10 ounce can) diced tomatoes with green chiles name brand Rotel
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
Stove Top Directions
- Brown the sausage on the stove over medium-high heat, breaking up into small pieces as it browns. Once the sausage is browned, drain off any excess grease and return to skillet.
- Add in cream cheese and rotel tomatoes and cook over medium heat until the cream cheese is melted and creamy.
- Transfer the dip to a serving dish and serve warm.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Brown the sausage on the stove over medium-high heat. Once browned, turn off heat and drain any excess grease and then add sausage to a slow cooker.
- Add the cubed cream cheese and rotel tomatoes and place the lid on the slow cooker. Turn to low and let heat through, stirring every 15 minutes. It should only take 30-45 minutes for the cream cheese to melt into the dip.
- Once melted, turn the slow cooker to keep warm and serve. The dip will keep on warm for up to 3-4 hours.
- Sausage: You can use pork, chicken, turkey ground sausage. Bulk sausage (or sausage marked Regular) is best for this recipe. While Italian sausage can be used, do not use breakfast sausage.
- Cream Cheese: You can use full fat or ⅓ less fat, but do not use fat free cream cheese.
- Diced Tomatoes: Use mild, regular or spicy based on your spice preference.
- Store cooled leftover dip in a sealed container in fridge for up to 3 days.
- Nutrition has been calculated based on turkey sausage and full fat cream cheese.